UDC Timing Calculator

Air fuel ratio!!!! When you inject fuel at an air fuel ratio below ~17-18 it starts to get smokey. I can make real time adjustments to timing and there is little change in smoke unless you begin to really get out of a usable window.

Fuel quantity however, injecting to much fuel will inevitably make smoke due to incomplete combustion from lack of oxygen.

Last edited:
So smoke is controlled how? If the duration and pressure dictate the timing by splits how do you minimize smoke? Sorry just trying to understand this! I'm running 90hp injectors and a laggy turbo 64. Below 1600 sucks and I work with it. I just want to optimize and control the fuel for power and mileage.

They only dictate the timing splits you tell it to. To tune using the calc you need to adjust the split, looking at your tune you need to bring the split to where more fuel is injected later.

You can do this by using the calc tab, or just reducing timing in the tune.

Can you explain the timing splits! I know 50 btdc 50 atdc
But what does the 120,150 190 mean?
and the 1000us how do you use that?
There is a post about commonly used splits can't find it right now but it said:
High power boost 30's to low 40's so why are we using 50 in the high rpm range where we are floored?
Also splits above 52 should be a danger area for high rpms, power. What happens if you run splits in the 30's?
Just a little insight would be appreciated! I'm comfused right now and getting the smoke to go away is impossible! My customers are getting pissed about the soot covered trailers!

Can you explain the timing splits! I know 50 btdc 50 atdc
But what does the 120,150 190 mean?
and the 1000us how do you use that?
There is a post about commonly used splits can't find it right now but it said:
High power boost 30's to low 40's so why are we using 50 in the high rpm range where we are floored?
Also splits above 52 should be a danger area for high rpms, power. What happens if you run splits in the 30's?
Just a little insight would be appreciated! I'm comfused right now and getting the smoke to go away is impossible! My customers are getting pissed about the soot covered trailers!

Just want a second opinion on this anybody?

Finally digging into this software. Why does the duration map have the labels it does if they aren't eve right?
If those were the labels, the map is inverted, not gonna have 160 degrees of duration at zero throttle and 3600rpm.

Riddle me this, if the timing calculator is correct, pressure on the Y axis, load on the X-axis, why do the stock durations even go above 3800us at high load and low pressure? Couldn't one flatline the map in that corner?

John is 1.3v the latest version of the calc? I thought you posted another version...

I have made some modifications to your calculator and made it more user friendly, do you mind if I post that up?

Doesn't matter to me, but I'm not responsible for any changes that have been made that may effect output.

JFettig,
I am interested in seeing the changes made to the XLS? Will you be posting this?
Thanks

I'll let AH64ID take a look at it first, that reminds me, I need to send that over :)

I'm having trouble copying the cells from the timing calculator back into UDC, any suggestions?

You need to copy the labels and all. Some of the sheets have hidden columns so they aren't selected. Have you copied from UDC and pasted into excel to see the size? You also need to paste special, values, for it to copy correctly.

I am working a copy that has a home page for copying the data, but it's not 100% done yet.

I added a sheet, copy all the maps from UDC and past them into the first sheet, you can then link the values around, I sent AH64ID my copy, hopefully he does something similar for the next revision.

I added a sheet, copy all the maps from UDC and past them into the first sheet, you can then link the values around, I sent AH64ID my copy, hopefully he does something similar for the next revision.

I have something similar in my personal copy, just need to get the two mixed and ready to release.

Back