UDC Timing Calculator

One thing noted which is weird to me is if I use the calc reverse to achieve 50 I have to increase the timing to incredible levels which I thought just can't be right? In the last box 100% and 3500 rpm I have to run 30 timing to achieve 50 in the split!

It seems in the calc area it's a guessing game? Everybody would use the same basic numbers. What I would like to know is if the splits in the "commonly used" next post are a good way to go "understand"?
I put in my info and pasted my timing adjusted to the desired splits Commonly used as stated above 3 posts.
See what you think of this tune and if it's way off or dangerous or just wrong please let me know asap! I appreciate your time!

Is it slow to spool, and lots of timing rattle at very low fueling?

I would also guess your fuel mileage isn't great at 65+.

I don't see anything damaging in there, but I didn't dissect it either.

One thing noted which is weird to me is if I use the calc reverse to achieve 50 I have to increase the timing to incredible levels which I thought just can't be right? In the last box 100% and 3500 rpm I have to run 30 timing to achieve 50 in the split!

That's because you are running less rail pressure than stock with a longer pulse width. I get 29.8° of timing needed at 3500 rpms, seems legit considering your duration and rail pressure tables.

You don't need to use the calc reverse for that, the normal calc works too.
Just put 50 in the calc and peek at timing. No guessing.

One more thing to add, your duration numbers in your 3600 column are very similar in the bottom rows. That will provide very heavy fueling from a low rpm, which makes for excessive smoke, slow spool, and gives the CP3 more of a workout than it needs. You really should only need your desired duration numbers in the bottom 2, maybe 3, rows.

First off thanks CJ for the post!
If splits are based on mods Do you have any kind of reference on what would work for what? That would be a great tool! I also want to say thanks for your time in this calculator it really is awesome!
I think mads should incorporate it in their help section it's an valuable tool!
You are one smart dedicated enthusiast my hats off to you!!:bow::bow:

It's more trial and error, but in general lower timing makes for better spooling but at the cost of heat, so you need to find that line were added airflow cools the added heat and the turbo spools like mad.

Think about stock, it's a turbo spooling SOB but runs hotter than crap. Or try a 50:50 split and see how slow it spools, so runs hot too. The stock timing heat is much safer than the 50:50 heat.. so find the balance.

You have a slow spooling turbo, so think less timing in the spool region.

Wow I did the calc finally figured out I could raise the timing max. Only read it 100 times! Well it runs damn good need to tweek it in the lower rpm's for rattle but otherwise awesome! Now a test drive for 100 miles will tell if mileage picked up!
This really needs some exposure to all UDC users! Brian at Smarty step up!

dangeraous06.. Mind posting the xls that you are using presently? I am curious about this calc sheet and also trying to get a handle on it. I have a Silver 62 that I am thinking about trying as my secondary in a twin setup. I had ran the Silver 62 as a single and could drive around it OK. Would be nice if I could make it work as a single and then try and use it in a Twin setup once I can see how the programming can make this turbo have a little better driving manners..

Go to the first post the download is there! What you do is open that read the instructions about 100 times really read it and then open your UDC and a blank xls sheet. Your going to Copy your udc timing pressure and duration and paste it on the blank sheet as you will see the complete copy also takes the border and words. You'll want to copy just the numbers and paste them in the proper calc area. There is a calc sheet you can use the splits already there to see your output timing on the timing sheet. be sure to increase the timing to 30 it's default is 20 which is to low and will not show the correct timing. Just change that number to 30. The numbers on that timing sheet are what you should be running with your pressure and duration numbers. you can copy them and paste in the XLS sheet over the timing numbers you had earlier pasted from UDC. Then you will want to copy the entire timing area including the words and paste back into UDC. If you get a can not paste not the same number of spaces try again you may have missed some! Start in the upper most left corner and copy ALL of it! Hope this helps this is the lay mans explanation! Any questions ask!

It's bright and early just drove 50 miles and used 2 gallons of fuel! WOW the lyometer wouldn't even drop below 30 that's never happened before and that's without changing the duration JUST TIMING with the Calc sheet! If your not using it do so! I've tryed over 50 times to get UDC to work and with the calc Sheet I'm on #2 and very close to perfect! Throw out all your tunes start from scratch ask lots of questions it's worth it!
I put off using it a long time because i just didn't understand it! But once i fought through it and finally got it I can't say enough times USE IT! Forget the smoothing out bull it doesn't work pretty graph means nothing!
Smarty needs to hire AH64ID!

Lol. Yeah once you learn it its makes you wonder how you wouldn't always use it.. I showed my buddy the calculator in efi and after his second program he couldn't believe the difference.. Its good to know where your at on your splits.

Well I'm very pleased with the tune! I have two questions I hope someone can answer!

1: I have a seeable haze at idle what can I do to clear that up?

2: With cruise control on I have a on-off throttle when going down hill. It's like hunting too much oh no not enough and back and forth!
Are these duration issues? or timing?

So if the Calc sheet is good what would need to be changed to clear alot of black smoke? Duration or pressure? I tryed duration and power was down as was mileage. What Should I go by?

What do you mean if the calc sheet is good?

From where I am sitting, not in the drivers seat, your timing looks like it will be noisy, smokey, and slow to spool.

You are running far more mid range timing than I would, especially with your turbo setup.

I'm a little confused on how to do the Duration and pressure which in turn lets you do the calc sheet to get the timing but How do you do that? I just used one of the sample sheets But that is definitely wrong. Could you explain that part please!

What do you mean if the calc sheet is good?

From where I am sitting, not in the drivers seat, your timing looks like it will be noisy, smokey, and slow to spool.

You are running far more mid range timing than I would, especially with your turbo setup.

Two out of three! Not noisy.

I mean I put in the pressure and duration then did the splits and what I got for timing was used for timing. My question is how do i get the beginning pressure and duration tables for what i have? is there a way to figure those out?

Someone who EFILive tunes mentioned tuning the timing for what the particular vehicle wants.

If its smoky down low probably needs less timing in those cells.

I mean I put in the pressure and duration then did the splits and what I got for timing was used for timing. My question is how do i get the beginning pressure and duration tables for what i have? is there a way to figure those out?

Duration is set based on total desired power, pressure is user preference. Timing is the only thing that uses calculated figuring.

Someone who EFILive tunes mentioned tuning the timing for what the particular vehicle wants.

If its smoky down low probably needs less timing in those cells.

That's true for UDC and EFI, since the timing table is a blank slate.

So smoke is controlled how? If the duration and pressure dictate the timing by splits how do you minimize smoke? Sorry just trying to understand this! I'm running 90hp injectors and a laggy turbo 64. Below 1600 sucks and I work with it. I just want to optimize and control the fuel for power and mileage.

Smoke is controlled by both duration but more importantly WHEN you squirt the fuel.

If you shoot the fuel too early or too late it'll smoke.