upgraded ecm for the vp's!

Remember that the VW guys get "big" power and rpms from the ve pump on their little diesels and the dodge guys do not. The cummins ve pumps are not known for their high rpm fueling either. They aren't limited by any electronics.

On a ve, compare the case size, cam/rotor diameter, etc. for a 4cyl and a 6cyl. The 4cyl guys have a lot more fill time in the same size pump than the 6cyl pumps.

I am not saying that the vp is the same as the ve, but maybe it isn't the electronics at all? I hope you guys find what you are looking for.

Oh yeah! I see what your'e saying, but to be honest, I don't really think we are after 'big power' so to speak, (as in a ton of fuel being delivered to the CC) we are more in search of eliminating the 'street only' tune of the software and having more control over the pumps real,(or imagined) powerband. If we can gain control of the VP's operational parameters, namely RPM profile, and a few others, the pullers can gain some dang on wheel speed and light a larger charger and have a little more fun. The VPs advantage, it's only advantage, is it was supposed to be a more versatile, smarter pump.

Trust me, we KNOW the limitations on total fuel delivered. We ain't NEVER gettin' big mechanical injection numbers on horsepower.

But wouldn't it be cool to drive your 2.6 or 2.8 puller around during the week with the first 3000 rpms and then pull on the weekends up in the 5500 to 6000 range? The grassroots pulling would explode and there are a TON of old VP trucks just ripe to be snatched up and built for the sled.

Last edited:
Looks the same to me. Doesn't seem like it has the 5 pointed torx like a VP44 though.

Has anyone tryed to use resistors in the ecm or outside for that matter to fake it out?
Can you fake it out on the run away program to think 3200 is 1500?Same with timing somehow use a resistor to make it think it is not reaching max?

I know a couple of guys that have developed a mitsubishi drop in chip for dsm's. They are big computer/ car geeks (check it out ECMTuning, Inc., I run it and love it, the user interface is very simple and easy to operate). If I could harang them into looking into possibly building a product for vp44's would anyone happen to be willing to donate an ecm and possibly a vp44 for its ecu to the cause?

Oh yeah! I see what your'e saying, but to be honest, I don't really think we are after 'big power' so to speak, (as in a ton of fuel being delivered to the CC) we are more in search of eliminating the 'street only' tune of the software and having more control over the pumps real,(or imagined) powerband. If we can gain control of the VP's operational parameters, namely RPM profile, and a few others, the pullers can gain some dang on wheel speed and light a larger charger and have a little more fun. The VPs advantage, it's only advantage, is it was supposed to be a more versatile, smarter pump.

Trust me, we KNOW the limitations on total fuel delivered. We ain't NEVER gettin' big mechanical injection numbers on horsepower.

But wouldn't it be cool to drive your 2.6 or 2.8 puller around during the week with the first 3000 rpms and then pull on the weekends up in the 5500 to 6000 range? The grassroots pulling would explode and there are a TON of old VP trucks just ripe to be snatched up and built for the sled.
if the electronics were solved,is there a possibilty of a second vp belt driven being added, like the cr's are doing for more fuel?

Has anyone tryed to use resistors in the ecm or outside for that matter to fake it out?
Can you fake it out on the run away program to think 3200 is 1500?Same with timing somehow use a resistor to make it think it is not reaching max?

Jeez duallyspeed, that would be cool.

Hell, we stack boxes, I wonder if we can stack ECMs, one for 3200 rpm, and the other for fun stuff.............

I know a couple of guys that have developed a mitsubishi drop in chip for dsm's. They are big computer/ car geeks (check it out ECMTuning, Inc., I run it and love it, the user interface is very simple and easy to operate). If I could harang them into looking into possibly building a product for vp44's would anyone happen to be willing to donate an ecm and possibly a vp44 for its ecu to the cause?

Got the VP-44 and the ECM on the workbench all ready to take a ride.

Sad part is I imagine it will take a little more than resistors, not like jumping out a sensor, or a boost fooler. This is more of a pulsetrain type output.

Looks the same to me. Doesn't seem like it has the 5 pointed torx like a VP44 though.

True. Went to THAT website and found their list of diesel cars actually running the VP-44.

The VW TDI is nice but we may be chasing after the wrong car......hmmmmm.

if the electronics were solved,is there a possibilty of a second vp belt driven being added, like the cr's are doing for more fuel?

Maybe Monster Pump Mike has us all hooked up already and we can't take advantage of his machine work.

We're like Dr. Frankenstein and his monster. WE NEED A BRAIN!!!!:evil