Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

^ Isn't the .83 a/r housing you are referring too non gated?

Yeah it is non-gated. EDIT: Oh, I just noticed you're running an internally-gated .83. I haven't heard of that housing before.
I'm going to be running it with a JGS 50mm gate on a Steedspeed T4 manifold.

There is a major lip going from the manifold's large T4 holes, to the .83's T3 volutes. Nobody seems to have pointed this out. I'm having to get a spacer made that mimicks a port-job. To transition smoothly from the T4 to the T3.

Last edited:
Can everyone post some pictures of the the different housings being talked about.
.83 non W/G
.83 W/G

I'd like to see the port sizing and transitions.

NickTF, so what happened with the spool flange anyway. Did you end up selling it or did it break?

NickTF, so what happened with the spool flange anyway. Did you end up selling it or did it break?

last time we talk he said he threw it in front of the HX 35 on his lawn mower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

So anyways, what was the reason for him removing it? Just because of space issues being too close to the shock tower with the new setup?

So anyways, what was the reason for him removing it? Just because of space issues being too close to the shock tower with the new setup?

Downsized the turbocharger, was no longer needed.

Yes, that and money. As Weston knows i've contemplated putting one back on this 62 but he didn't feel it was needed for what i'm doing.

Yes, that and money. As Weston knows i've contemplated putting one back on this 62 but he didn't feel it was needed for what i'm doing.

Money?

I should read this thread top to bottom and I havent so I am sorry about that, but did you have a failure and have it eat a turbo? Is that why you have the bolds welded to the Inconel now? Or am I missing something?
I originally stumbled across your thread on CF, and then saw it was a lot bigger here.

If it had directly caused a turbo failure, do you think he would have contemplated putting it back on?

My cummins thread was not very long. In short, durability was not while the flange was removed. I was very impressed with durability in fact. The biggest concern is your air line. IT CAN NOT FAIL OR YOUR TURBO WILL MOST LIKELY FOLLOW IT. IMHO the boost should come from the cold side of the intercooler or after and fuel injection hose or waste gate hose used to feed it. If the line fails you will breath all of that exhaust through one volute at wot which can cause turbo failure nearly instantly.

If I had unlimited resources I would put this spool flange back on this 62 and put a primary under it but unfortunately money is not unlimited.

Last edited:
Money?

I should read this thread top to bottom and I havent so I am sorry about that, but did you have a failure and have it eat a turbo? Is that why you have the bolds welded to the Inconel now? Or am I missing something?
I originally stumbled across your thread on CF, and then saw it was a lot bigger here.

When the bolts began to fail the only thing happening was some binding which I noticed instantly. Nothing went into the turbo and no turbo failure resulted. I discussed this with Weston and the result was welding directly to the shaft and this issue completely solved. All of these flanges are welded at this point so far as I understand.

Back