Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Just a heads up for guys running the SDX style quick spool valve. I had a customer in the shop today with one on a set of twins. He was complaining that they were really slow to spool and his drive pressure was way up.

I threw the plug on the primary, and pressurized his setup, found a few small boost leaks in boot connections and what have you. But the major leak was out the shaft of the actuator for the quick spool valve. Apparently they don't like 80-100psi being forced into them.

So if you are running one on a set of twins, do yourself a favor, and put a pressure regulator before the valve, that way you can set it to max opening pressure, and not have to worry about blowing the diaphragm out of it.

This is a good point, and I am glad you mentioned it. I believe you are the first to run one on a compound setup. The actuator is from a GT28, and even though it is the high pressure unit, it still will not like to see more than 40-50psi.

I have not experienced this leak yet dvst8r but thanks for bringing this up as the new 75mm single bat with an 87mm turbine is making between 65-70psi on my truck and staying 1 to 1.

I have been meaning to update but I want to point out that it is imperative that the boost signal to this flange be taken from after the intercooler where air is much cooler. I recently suffered another line failure which we believe is from the heat more so than boost itself. Drive went from 65 or so psi to 160 lol. I sent the charger to bullseye to have the 360 bearing assembly put in for piece of mind. I will update when I have it back up and running. I would like to say that i'm impressed with the durability of the bullseye charger given this same occurence destroyed the s467 I previously ran very quickly. The only thing destroyed was the boot off the turbo in this instance.

How hard or common is that 360 bearing assembly? Also how do you like the 75? Seems 65-70 psi is really pushing that charger hard!

How hard or common is that 360 bearing assembly? Also how do you like the 75? Seems 65-70 psi is really pushing that charger hard!

Not sure exactly what you're asking regarding the bearing assembly. I sent it to bullseye for them to install. I believe there is some maching done to make it work but I am far from certain. I was advised it would be good for the boost i'm seeing. I was surprised to find this turbo making this much boost on this motor myself especially at 28 degrees of timing. And I have not even tried it with the 130CC comp delivery valves only the 80cc delivery valves.

This turbo does not seem to light until about 2300 with the spool flange which given it has an 87mm turbine and 1.00 a/r hot side it is not surprising.

Seems like it would be fun though. I need to look in to that bearing assembly

Last edited:
I have not experienced this leak yet dvst8r but thanks for bringing this up as the new 75mm single bat with an 87mm turbine is making between 65-70psi on my truck and staying 1 to 1.

I have been meaning to update but I want to point out that it is imperative that the boost signal to this flange be taken from after the intercooler where air is much cooler. I recently suffered another line failure which we believe is from the heat more so than boost itself. Drive went from 65 or so psi to 160 lol. I sent the charger to bullseye to have the 360 bearing assembly put in for piece of mind. I will update when I have it back up and running. I would like to say that i'm impressed with the durability of the bullseye charger given this same occurence destroyed the s467 I previously ran very quickly. The only thing destroyed was the boot off the turbo in this instance.
What would make the bullseye bw charger better than any other bw charger?

I'm sorry if this has been answered but who do I contact to get a spool valve. I call SDX and always get a machine and left messages but no call back. I've got my turbo off and would love to add this before I put it back on. If someone wants to sell one please let me know or who to call.

I'm sorry if this has been answered but who do I contact to get a spool valve. I call SDX and always get a machine and left messages but no call back. I've got my turbo off and would love to add this before I put it back on. If someone wants to sell one please let me know or who to call.

Order online..............

They are not accepting orders anymore and I doubt it is a good idea to order if they ever get back up and running.

Wanna update the forum on current performance/thoughts nick?

At the present time I have gone away from the flange due to money reasons and the move to step one of compounds with a 62mm secondary (running it as a single now on the truck). Unfortunately some family health issues on my wife's side have come up which have delayed many projects for the truck. That said the 67 I previously ran from forced with the spool flange made more boost at cruise and maintained cooler egts at cruise than this t4 divided .83 internally gated 62mm fmw s300 with 68mm turbine does without the flange. Pretty remarkable imho. I would love to get another flange back in front of this 62 but not sure that is going to happen.

I have been fairly quiet on the board given I grow tired of folks commenting on things with zero experience as if they were PHD's on a subject. Call me crazy lol

I'd be interested in trying one under a GTX4294R secondary Weston. Shoot me a pm if it's still possible to get one.

At the present time I have gone away from the flange due to money reasons and the move to step one of compounds with a 62mm secondary (running it as a single now on the truck). Unfortunately some family health issues on my wife's side have come up which have delayed many projects for the truck. That said the 67 I previously ran from forced with the spool flange made more boost at cruise and maintained cooler egts at cruise than this t4 divided .83 internally gated 62mm fmw s300 with 68mm turbine does without the flange. Pretty remarkable imho. I would love to get another flange back in front of this 62 but not sure that is going to happen.

I have been fairly quiet on the board given I grow tired of folks commenting on things with zero experience as if they were PHD's on a subject. Call me crazy lol

I'm wondering if you think it might be the .83a/r housing, because my 62/68/.85 spools as quick as I could ever expect a turbo to spool.

And now that I'm putting a .83 on my truck, (63/68/.83 + S478) I'm kind of concerned it won't spool as well as the .85.

Sorry to ask if it's a tangent at all. I'm just trying to get info on the .83 from guys who have tried it and there aren't many. ;)
I don't know of anybody who has tried a .85 and a .83 on the same turbo to compare spool and top end flow. That seems like a crucial test. It'd be even better to test them both on 62, 63 & 64mm S300's.

My point in saying this is because the .83 isn't a true T4 turbo. The volutes are T3, but with a T4 footprint. So it is like BW made a T3 housing that could just bolt onto a T4 manifold, but it has that hard reduction from the T4 holes, to the T3 which are much smaller. I don't think it could flow more than a .85a/r T3 for this reason. And I was told it would flow more than a .85 because it's a T4. Now I know most people never bother to notice the volute holes, they just bolt it up and go.

Last edited:
Back