Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Nick I'm sorry if I was home it would be out already.

It is all good my brudda just responding to the question asked by bsmith. I appreciate the opportunity to try yours out before sending mine, worth the wait!

Turbo is off and headin back to Forced. Just wanted to update that the spool flange still looks like the day I got it (welded version) and is working like the day I got it! Looks to be a solid piece thus far!

Turns out I have a pretty healthy leak at the intercooler (20psi in reads 14 on boost gauge with a nasty jet coming from the turbo side end tank). Updated this in the drag race thread figured I would post it hear as well. Going to pull the intercooler tomorrow and get it fixed. Hopefully I will find quite a bit more power in gettin it sealed up! The cooler is a Cool Twist from City Diesel and they're taking care of local repair on it.

Do you think you should have went with the 87 turbine? After reading mikes thread and your IC leak, just makes me think you could use the 87 vs 83. Also could you have went wth a race cover? Or did you just with a vband outlet?

Sorry if you've answered these already.

Do you think you should have went with the 87 turbine? After reading mikes thread and your IC leak, just makes me think you could use the 87 vs 83. Also could you have went wth a race cover? Or did you just with a vband outlet?

Sorry if you've answered these already.

According to Jose the 83/74 turbine in the 1.1 a/r housing i'm about to put on will flow enough air to handle 89lb/min of compressor flow. There is a 1.25a/r if I wanted to go up to that. So in short, I don't think there would be anything to gain in going to the 87mm turbine with this compressor wheel.

The turbo has a race cover on it.

Here are some pics of the fairly substantial intercooler leak. City Diesel has been excellent to work with in getting this taken care of which should happen hopefully this week sometime. Big thanks to Jason over there!

Open to opinions on how much power you guys think a leak like this could rob?

Pic of the leak. A total of 7 fins have separated from the end of the core.
DSC_0076-1.jpg

Close up of the separation.
DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0078-1.jpg

What it should look like.
DSC_0079-1.jpg

Water test.
DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I would show the two videos together in one reply on top of each other comparing the pre launch spooling with the spool flanged s467.7 and the non spool flanged s364. As previously noted i've found a pretty substantial boost leak in the intercooler so the e.t. is a bit skewed although for all I know it leaked with both chargers. In any event here is a break down of the two setups and what is different between them in regards to things that have been changed. If it is not mentioned it has not been changed from one charger setup to the next.

Non spool flange s364:
Forced Inductions 64mm s300 standard .55 a/r compressor cover, .91 a/r t4 exhaust housing port matched to manifold, 71mm turbine wheel
5x13 145* injectors, 8mm diameter competition delivery valves, afc setup with governor spring for full travel around 45psi, stock ported exhaust manifold with ported obx t3/t4 adapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBAEtTZoUOA&feature=plcp&context=C4ba540fVDvjVQa1PpcFOgT2ChiDmubxcAkELaQEMUZZsHjJo5EwM%3D

Spool flanged s467.7mm:
Forced Inductions 67.7mm s400, .66 a/r bell mouth race cover, .90 t4 exhaust housing not port matched, 74mm turbine wheel, 5x16 155* injectors, 7mm diameter competition delivery valves, afc setup with light light spring for full travel at 7psi due to leaking diaphragm, steed t4 manifold.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsZFrFPLuc&list=UUMqfClVfhaaZhpza7caq5Vg&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsZFrFPLuc&list=UUMqfClVfhaaZhpza7caq5Vg&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

It must be noted that I did put on the steed manifold at the same time although in my experience larger manifolds usually don't spool turbos faster. The only significant difference I have ever noticed there was when I went back from a tubular manifold to a previous pdi manifold I ran and gained back alot of spool from 0-10psi around 2 years ago.

Enjoy.

I really want to run a big single on my truck with a spool flange. I'm thinking of buying a s464 box turbo and get a .9 housing put on it. My vgt just doesn't put me in the seat when I mat it lol it spools so quick I guess, I don't get the burst of O sh!t here we go. LOL

Well the truck is back together. I got the intercooler fixed locally which City
Diesel took care of for me (big props to Jason over there for standing behind their product). I found another boost leak as well at the boot to the intake horn and got it fixed. The turbo is on with the 1.1 a/r housing now and wrapped in the turbine blanket unlike before. We'll see what the weather looks like tomorrow and hopefully will have some good enough weather to get after it and see how it runs.

I fabbed a boost tester which is the same 5.5 OD the race cover is but don't trust it using the 5.5" intake boot I have. Having a hard time locating a source for 5.5" silicone tubing which can take pressure. Any suggestions?

In the mean time I have a tester on the way from 94 12 valve (thanks Dave) which will work on the 3" intercooler piping which will test most of the system. Still have a squeal I need to chase down.

Decided to go up to 28* and with 155* injectors it definitely rattles like no other and a sizeable hit on bottom end was a result. Have yet to go wot with timing that high. It fires right up like it did at 22-23* it was at before (thought I was at 24* but was a bit lower). No increase in idle haze or any other ill effects have been noted due to the timing increase thus far.

Almost forgot, I did try a 1.1 a/r housing. I ended up not liking it given I didn't really notice any more sotp but did notice significant lag increase.

Sorry, no track or dyno updates. The spool flange is still working like the first day I got it and has been on and off for inspection a few times due to swapping parts. After I chase down the squeal and have some more time to tune (one of my closest friends wedding has been jamming me along with the start of softball season) I will have more updates on the search for all the power.

p.s. The intercooler was fixed about 90%. There is an ever so slight hiss at 20 psi which generates little more than a very very slight draft across your finger at the area that was welded.

Last edited:
Found yet another boost leak on the lower cold side boot (BD piece of junk). Will get a peak ordered and plannin to hit a test n tune on the 9th to see what I end up with. Feels stronger at 28-28.5 degrees so hoping to finally get what I want out of it!

Spool flange continues to work excellently (Great Job SDX)!

All this sounds like fun. What you shooting for?

I would be happy with 11 something on the big tires!

I did the lowered thing and while fun imho it takes away from the utility of this truck (beach, snow, mud, etc.).