Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Could you try the 67 without the spool flange? After reading mikes posts, doesn't seem like a sppol flange is needed for this size.

Could you try the 67 without the spool flange? After reading mikes posts, doesn't seem like a sppol flange is needed for this size.

I have tried the 64 with and without and the results were as advertised, around 300-500 drop in spool rpm and the part throttle boost was up drastically. This current 67 is not a magic charger and I would expect nothing different. Further, at 28 degrees it needs more help than it would on Mike's combo.

Finally had a chance to play with one of these today, after having had one in mock up for months.

With the stock preset opening pressure, the chargers would stall out at about 15psi overall and not lite. I didn't have a pressure regulator on hand, so I just unplugged the quick spool valve to make sure that was the issue. With it staying closed we could easily make 45psi before the brakes wouldn't hold it back any longer.

It certainly makes a HUGE difference trying to spool large chargers at the line. I am looking forward to getting the regulator on there, and figuring out where it needs to open at. Two gates, a quick spool valve, and 3 mbc's make for a bit of a plumbing nightmare though. LOL

Finally had a chance to play with one of these today, after having had one in mock up for months.

With the stock preset opening pressure, the chargers would stall out at about 15psi overall and not lite. I didn't have a pressure regulator on hand, so I just unplugged the quick spool valve to make sure that was the issue. With it staying closed we could easily make 45psi before the brakes wouldn't hold it back any longer.

It certainly makes a HUGE difference trying to spool large chargers at the line. I am looking forward to getting the regulator on there, and figuring out where it needs to open at. Two gates, a quick spool valve, and 3 mbc's make for a bit of a plumbing nightmare though. LOL

Very interested in your results! I'm a bit confused however. Mine came opening right around 22 (cracking) and fully open by 30 psi. Judging by what you say it sounds as if the actuator yours shipped with opens at like 5psi. Did you request a different actuator or has SDX changed to a diff actuator?

It seemed to crack about 15psi, to get on top of these chargers (s400 over s500) it needs to be at about 20-25psi. (is my current guess) I am going into town to pick up the regulators today, but it is pouring rain. So I will just try to get them plumbed and ready for when we have a break in the weather.

It seemed to crack about 15psi, to get on top of these chargers (s400 over s500) it needs to be at about 20-25psi. (is my current guess) I am going into town to pick up the regulators today, but it is pouring rain. So I will just try to get them plumbed and ready for when we have a break in the weather.

Don't forget you can adjust the tension by removing the e-clip on the butterfly shaft and sliding the eyelet connection off. You can then screw in to shorten or screw out to lengthen the total length of the actuating arm which will vary actuating psi a little. If I remember correctly shortening the length of the actuating arm will increase actuation psi but SDX should clarify that. Or, as you've hinted at, you can just get a regulator and plumb it. I used to use a boost elbow commonly sold for hx35 wastegate actuation adjustment but have never needed to with this version of the spool flange and my smaller easier to spool single s400.

Keep us updated on how you make out!

I have tried the 64 with and without and the results were as advertised, around 300-500 drop in spool rpm and the part throttle boost was up drastically. This current 67 is not a magic charger and I would expect nothing different. Further, at 28 degrees it needs more help than it would on Mike's combo.

I'm now at 25*, and the 67 spools just like before, comes on at 17-1800, full out at 2k. Makes about 5psi at 1500rpm.

I'm curious to see what this would do for me. If the flange dropped my spool 400rpm, I'd be breaking things LOL

Decided to give it a shot, just changing the actuator first, got another turn or so out of it, and that had it starting to crack at about 20psi, and full open to the stop at about 40psi. Works great now! We can light this S400 charger faster now at the line then we could light the ball bearing turbonetics t66 it replaced.

No idea about part throttle drive ability as it is a race truck, and it almost never sees part throttle, but I was skeptical when the owner of the truck requested we build it in the new set of twins. I am 100% sold now! To the point I have ordered one for my DD.

Glad to hear it is working well for you. I'm quite honestly shocked at the resistance of so many to try one given how simple the idea is. The only question which was ever in my mind was durability and the flange i'm running has been on and off many times and driven enough I can feel very confident in it working. We'll see how it holds up for the next few years. I'm sure it will come on and off a time or two during that time for various reasons.

I almost thought about trying one ,when they make a t-3, with my current set of twins (super b over 475) just to see how quick I could light the super b. I'm thinking it would work almost as well as a supercharger. It costs just a little too much for a "what if" experiment right now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I almost thought about trying one ,when they make a t-3, with my current set of twins (super b over 475) just to see how quick I could light the super b. I'm thinking it would work almost as well as a supercharger. It costs just a little too much for a "what if" experiment right now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I don't think you will see a t3 version until there is more interest in the t4 version. I understand there are a few t4 versions left for purchase but you would need to contact SDX to make certain.

I don't think you will see a t3 version until there is more interest in the t4 version. I understand there are a few t4 versions left for purchase but you would need to contact SDX to make certain.

Man I really want one now. I can't justify the cost though when I still need a gate LOL

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A ricer buddy at work showed me theses a couple years ago. Google quick spool valve. There are T3s out there just high dollar!

A ricer buddy at work showed me theses a couple years ago. Google quick spool valve. There are T3s out there just high dollar!

Sound performance makes some. Does anyone know how they hold up to soot and high psi?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Man this really makes me want to try one of these. I just got a s468 with the 83 wheel and .90 housing and my truck is kind of a dog under 2k rpms. Not sure if it's my ported head or what but I can't make 10psi til 2k or so. With 3.55s and a 32" tire I'm driving way under the charger most of the time, this flange sounds like it would change that.

Going to keep the old girl afterall. The mind of a diesel schizo......