Very small 12 valve tow twins

how much worse is spool up with a side by side set up? I really want to do side by side for ease of taking parts in and out, but I'm afraid the extra long hot pipe might kill spool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
how much worse is spool up with a side by side set up? I really want to do side by side for ease of taking parts in and out, but I'm afraid the extra long hot pipe might kill spool.

It will be slower compared to over under style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just get that he 341 that GWOODY is selling, shouldn't have any issue with spool at all mike.

the side by side shouldn't make much of a difference in spool at all.

I had a set of side by side 35/3b twins and there was a difference in spool between a good heat soaked hot pipe and just cruising along and rolling into it. Not bad at all but noticeable. 2' long hot pipe with one layer of heat wrap.

my 63- 76 twin set spooled wickedly fast in my opinion. these pics are screen shot pics taking from a (shakey) video.

total boost 18 psi.. primary 4.5 psi @ 1400rpm in OD
Screenshot_2013-10-14-08-49-20.png

total boost 22 psi.. primary 6psi @1450rpm

Screenshot_2013-10-25-08-07-58.png

And probably be quicker if I was running a smaller DV.

Its not bad. Just remember to configure your pipe to keep velocity up and not restrict flow. Go to spdexhaust.com. They have a bunch of good quality supplies that you can use. Look for a gt4202 1.15wg turbo. Im telling ya you will be more than happy with it in conjunction with your he351.

I guess I'll stick with over/under. I keep wanting to get fancy, forgetting that my main goal is spool/torque/low rpm efficiency.

How much spool up time is lost using a 57 instead of a HX35?

I've got that 64mm on my truck now and I don't even think about towing with it in the summer. It's just smokey, hot and I have to stay in the RPMs to do anything.

That 4202 sounds like a nice match up!

my 63- 76 twin set spooled wickedly fast in my opinion. these pics are screen shot pics taking from a (shakey) video.

total boost 18 psi.. primary 4.5 psi @ 1400rpm in OD
Screenshot_2013-10-14-08-49-20.png

total boost 22 psi.. primary 6psi @1450rpm

Screenshot_2013-10-25-08-07-58.png

And probably be quicker if I was running a smaller DV.

What size 63? Cam? There's no way mine spools that fast.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

You can do a side by side set up with a short hot pipe. In my 72 chevy I left the ex manifold in the stock location & just rotated the manifold turbo 180 degrees, now the exhaust on the small turbo exits forward & connects to the 4202 with a short radius elbow.

You can do a side by side set up with a short hot pipe. In my 72 chevy I left the ex manifold in the stock location & just rotated the manifold turbo 180 degrees, now the exhaust on the small turbo exits forward & connects to the 4202 with a short radius elbow.

Thats how I did the single in the race truck LOL

So here's how mine is going now: Side by Side setup, he351cw over s467/83/1.25 T6.

I'll port the gate, or send out the spare to get a new/different internal gate eventually. My goal with that t6 housing is faster secondary spool, and more top end out of the 67. I'd like 700 out of it.

What does the 351 gate open at stock?

351 with a 15/16" ported wastegate opened for me on my 12 valve when it made 18-20 lbs.
with the boost reference line on it,
pinched off is went about 28-30lbs, then I went to a spring gate. this was all as a single.

Do you have a 351? I probably have an extra exhaust housing already drilled out with a spring gate on it.

Do you have a 351? I probably have an extra exhaust housing already drilled out with a spring gate on it.

I have one already, and possible a 2nd one that I was going to use as a spare/build it with shiny parts.

But I'll pm you for the housing.

You will also need to purchase a plug from ATS for the solenoid on the comp housing. The cheaper ones still leave a bleed port open if I remember correctly.