VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

thats the same design in working on but im putting another flange on the outside so i can put a rubber strip inbetween the 2 layers and use it as a seal so i dont have to mess with rtv each time

Hmmmmm, thats a good idear you have there!

hey, do whatcha gotta do right?? LOL

I guess. The plates were welded on from the back side. I got good welds the entire length. Thats all I care about. I just gotta clean it up, paint, then install.

Thats pretty sweet. I'm going to have to get myself a spare cover and conjure something like that up. Interesting to hear what chip had to say. Thats interesting about the ECM correcting for it. Seems like whats the point of having it keyed if the truck will just compensate for what it needs anyways. And why wouldn't it through a code to let you know something was wrong, when the base timing was off.
Sean

Thats pretty sweet. I'm going to have to get myself a spare cover and conjure something like that up. Interesting to hear what chip had to say. Thats interesting about the ECM correcting for it. Seems like whats the point of having it keyed if the truck will just compensate for what it needs anyways. And why wouldn't it through a code to let you know something was wrong, when the base timing was off.
Sean

Yeah, I just wanted to hear Chips point of view. He really knows these vp trucks & after hearing him say that it will work...I'm getting antsy.:hehe:

I'm keeping an eye on this as well. Might have to hack my cover up to make it easier to adjust my timing as well...you know, since my computer doesn't adjust it anymore and I can do whatever the hell I want with it. LOL

On another note, I'm curious to see how this idea progresses. Maybe the VP guys have found the secret to competing with the p-pump. LOL

On another note, I'm curious to see how this idea progresses. Maybe the VP guys have found the secret to competing with the p-pump. LOL

I don't know about that, but it would be nice to be able to build power in the higher RPM range. Thats where these things really seem to fall on their faces.

On that note, I really need to start saving for a redline box. I've been wanting one anyways for racing, the extra RPM would be really nice. Having a higher power curve would be awesome too, just hope it doesn't kill the launches too much.
Sean

So for the sake of a newb. Which way do you rotate the gear? Probably pictures but I can't see them very well on my phone.

thank you. By adjusting this, would it hurt you on the street or help. Guess we don't know how sluggish it will be down low yet or do we?

you cant just say clockwise, people still get messed up, because when you say the right side of the truck you are sitting in the truck looking forward and when you talking about an engine you are looking at it from the front,
and let me know how ithe redline is when you get it back

you cant just say clockwise, people still get messed up, because when you say the right side of the truck you are sitting in the truck looking forward and when you talking about an engine you are looking at it from the front,
and let me know how ithe redline is when you get it back

I guess you are right. I'll let you know how it goes. I might be off of work tomorrow, hopefully I can finish this cover & possibly install [very maybe]:hehe: Chip should have it by Monday, so I'm looking at late next week.

Question for you.....

According to Chip, your truck should drive normal when the redline is turned off because the computer is compensating for the mechanical advance. You should not notice a difference at all in the truck with the redline turned off correct?

i might have to set the timing for 10deg mechaincal advance and try turning the redline off and see what it does, now to take the front of the engine apart again, i didnt even seal it with rtv the first few times because i knew i would be back in there but now i have some scraping to do

i might have to set the timing for 10deg mechaincal advance and try turning the redline off and see what it does, now to take the front of the engine apart again, i didnt even seal it with rtv the first few times because i knew i would be back in there but now i have some scraping to do

Good idea. I start school next week so I'll have time in the evenings (and mournings being I have late mourning classes:doh:) to work on the truck now. And the high school will be open so I can dyno it back to back if I can get in.

Better get your cover built. What all do you tear apart to get to it?

Back