VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

i might have to set the timing for 10deg mechaincal advance and try turning the redline off and see what it does, now to take the front of the engine apart again, i didnt even seal it with rtv the first few times because i knew i would be back in there but now i have some scraping to do

What do you think I should start out at 10*? I got my engine torn apart this evening & I'm ready to set the timing tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I want to try 5, 10 or 15* first.

What do you think I should start out at 10*? I got my engine torn apart this evening & I'm ready to set the timing tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I want to try 5, 10 or 15* first.

hell set it at 10 and have the timing come in later and you should be fine, the biggest thing with my truck is the few hundred rpms when the edge is starting to add timing but the redline hasnt taken over yet, for me its between 2K and 2500 rpm in first but after that the redline takes controll and its all good from there

hell set it at 10 and have the timing come in later and you should be fine, the biggest thing with my truck is the few hundred rpms when the edge is starting to add timing but the redline hasnt taken over yet, for me its between 2K and 2500 rpm in first but after that the redline takes controll and its all good from there

Have you tried 10* with the box off yet?

no i didnt try with the box off, i didnt even think of that because why would i need an extra 10 deg during normal driving, its a lag pig as is i dont need to addd to it, but i should give it a try since chip said the truck would correct for this

no i didnt try with the box off, i didnt even think of that because why would i need an extra 10 deg during normal driving, its a lag pig as is i dont need to addd to it, but i should give it a try since chip said the truck would correct for this

Don't waste your time, I'll set mine for 10* & let you know how it does. My box should be back from Chip Thursday.

and let me know of the new found fun of the unlimited tune

I was ready to spin the clutch fan on & my gear puller fell & hit my radiator. I am going to my buddies house to pick up a radiator in a hour. I may not get to put it in till tomorrow though. I set it at 10* advance. I will let you know.

I was talking to my buddy on the phone & I told him that I advanced 10*. He says that 1 tooth is 10* because the pump gear spins 720* [2 revolutions] to every 360* [1 revolution] of the crank. What you guys think about that one?

I was talking to my buddy on the phone & I told him that I advanced 10*. He says that 1 tooth is 10* because the pump gear spins 720* [2 revolutions] to every 360* [1 revolution] of the crank. What you guys think about that one?

i think he has that one messed up big time, he has it backwards and what does it matter 10* advanced is 10* advanced

ya its a simple gear, there are 36T on the crank and 72 on the pump and gear, it takes 2 rotations of the crank to make the cam and pump do one rotation

ya its a simple gear, there are 36T on the crank and 72 on the pump and gear, it takes 2 rotations of the crank to make the cam and pump do one rotation

Question for you. What timing does a p-pump need to turn 5k rpm? If it is around 35-37*, then we need to go 10* to get there if a vp can only do 25* by itself.

We went over the difference in gear size Vs. Degree change earlier in the thread. And pretty much came up with the degrees of pump change is what matters.

That is an interesting theory about the 12v 5k thing. If you pull anywhere close to 5k out of a VP that would be amazing. I really need to address my valve train before play with that one.
Sean

you can turn 5k at 20 degrees or at 40 deg, it all depends on where you want your power band to be, i would say go with 10 deg advanced to give you about 35 total so your peak power is between 4K and 5K so that if your start to drop rpm you ill not fall completely out of the powerband

We went over the difference in gear size Vs. Degree change earlier in the thread. And pretty much came up with the degrees of pump change is what matters.

That is an interesting theory about the 12v 5k thing. If you pull anywhere close to 5k out of a VP that would be amazing. I really need to address my valve train before play with that one.
Sean

I was turning 4360rpm with stock timing last year. I'm hoping to get close to 5k with 10*, but who knows.

you can turn 5k at 20 degrees or at 40 deg, it all depends on where you want your power band to be, i would say go with 10 deg advanced to give you about 35 total so your peak power is between 4K and 5K so that if your start to drop rpm you ill not fall completely out of the powerband

That would kick azz!

Back