VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

Best I remember, a certain mod here and his brother played with this very concept a couple years ago.

Best I remember, a certain mod here and his brother played with this very concept a couple years ago.

And that certain mod can't even try to help us with our research? It would be nice, rather than short sentences to cut us down.

Not to derail the thread but can an advancement for the P7100 be built into the pump drive gear like it is on the pumps on say 3406 cat's?

There's a thread on that somewhere else on this site discussing that. Haven't seen anything from it in a while though. Might try searching for it.

A certain mod? Is it really that big of a secret? And stuff has changed over the last few years. New boxes, better understanding of how the parts and how they all work, more people involved in it. Its definitely worth reopening and rethinking. Maybe some one knows something that no one else does that might be the key to making a VP compete.

A certain mod? Is it really that big of a secret? And stuff has changed over the last few years. New boxes, better understanding of how the parts and how they all work, more people involved in it. Its definitely worth reopening and rethinking. Maybe some one knows something that no one else does that might be the key to making a VP compete.

Chip told me that he had some guys doing this back in the day...before the redline. He said that the redline should make the difference.

A fair amount of time and money was spent on a few different methods, I remember talking about it with David Dunbar, turned out to be not worth the time. You honestly think this was the first time it has been tried? Preston even made an adjustable cam gear for a 24v, still, not worth it. From what I remember, idle haze, excessive smoke, no power until 2K RPM, then it ran pretty well above that. Put it back, been like that for the last 5-6yrs.

I'm gonna preface this with the fact that I know little about VP trucks, and don't have a dog in this fight.

But a LOT has been learned about VPs in the past 5-6 years. 3 years ago you would have been told the TS MVP was impossible. I don't see what harm can come from revisiting it. Even if it doesn't "work" we will learn, and know. Which didn't seem to happen the first time it was tried.

Even if it doesn't "work" we will learn, and know. Which didn't seem to happen the first time it was tried.

If it doesn't work? It was learned, and is known, as of long ago. Do you ever watch someone run into a closed door, over, and over, and over, then you have to try it yourself, just to be sure? I still feel dumber, feel like I am catching a disease, maybe I'll call it the CF Effect.

Why doesn't it work? Is there no way that the strides made in programming in the past 5-6 years could make it more of a workable option?

I'm just curious... I've actually wondered about doing it, but don't have a VP truck to play with...

And I'm kinda dumb sometimes. I am slow to just accept something won't work. I want to know why. Including trying it, if I can't get a good explanation of why it won't.

smokem but if you were using the truck for just pulling or drag racing where you are above 2K even 3K the whole time would it be helpful to add the timing or would you still say dont bother with it. my truck with the s472 charger there is nothing below 2k anyway so i dont see a problem with having more timing up top if there is less down low

A fair amount of time and money was spent on a few different methods, I remember talking about it with David Dunbar, turned out to be not worth the time. You honestly think this was the first time it has been tried? Preston even made an adjustable cam gear for a 24v, still, not worth it. From what I remember, idle haze, excessive smoke, no power until 2K RPM, then it ran pretty well above that. Put it back, been like that for the last 5-6yrs.

Thanks for the responce. I appreciate you coming out to tell us this, even if it was this late into the search. You don't think it is worth it for a sled puller? You don't think a redline unlimited box might make the truck rev to 5k rpm? It doesn't make sense to me that advancing the gear & eliminating the ecms "limits" will not give me the desired revs I'm looking for?

smokem but if you were using the truck for just pulling or drag racing where you are above 2K even 3K the whole time would it be helpful to add the timing or would you still say dont bother with it. my truck with the s472 charger there is nothing below 2k anyway so i dont see a problem with having more timing up top if there is less down low

Exactly. I have a 2 piece cover, changing the timing before each pull is not a issue for me.

Do you ever watch someone run into a closed door, over, and over, and over, then you have to try it yourself, just to be sure? I still feel dumber, feel like I am catching a disease, maybe I'll call it the CF Effect.

I think that the reason many of us are going for this, is because the information about it wasn't by any means wide spread. I tried it, because a couple knowledgeable 12v and CR guys and I started throwing around the idea. I would like to do more research into it myself and see what I can come up with.
Sean

It was done when we pulled the truck, tried cam timing alterations as well as the static timing on the VP44, not worth it either way, truck just did not fuel right. With the ECM and lift pump on a seperate 12v source to bypass the voltage being cut, you get rid of some of the popping(governing) at high RPM, but you will not see anywhere near 5K RPM.

It was done when we pulled the truck, tried cam timing alterations as well as the static timing on the VP44, not worth it either way, truck just did not fuel right. With the ECM and lift pump on a seperate 12v source to bypass the voltage being cut, you get rid of some of the popping(governing) at high RPM, but you will not see anywhere near 5K RPM.

Did you try a redline box? The ecm has no say over the redline unlimited according to Chip.

Couple trucks, many different fueling modules, including the Redline.