VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

how much timing will smarty add when you use the revo software?

I need to send my redline back. I have the unlimited tune but I don't feel that I get near the rpm that I should out of it. Here's a pic from one of the last pulls I made and checked the recall button.

I'd say you better send it in. :hehe: What do you actually get to with the unlimited tune?

I've got bad news, box didn't show. I have a appointment at the tranny shop Monday, might not get my truck back for a day or two. I blew 5th gear apart AGAIN!!!! Anyone else try anything yet?

Haven't really tried anything yet with mine. I really want to get a timing light and see where I'm at. I'm wondering if edge box will command full advance even if the ECM is telling it to retard. I'm still able to spool at around 1500 with my set up, and I think that will come back down when I fix my huge boost leak. Just waiting on a new comp housing at this point.

And Billy, I was thinking the same thing about just increasing the signal to the timing solenoid, if the ECM is infact telling it to retard and not letting it reach full advance. Unfortunately, I haven't found any specs for the signal to that solenoid, so I'm going to have to rig something up to read it.
Sean

Haven't really tried anything yet with mine. I really want to get a timing light and see where I'm at. I'm wondering if edge box will command full advance even if the ECM is telling it to retard. I'm still able to spool at around 1500 with my set up, and I think that will come back down when I fix my huge boost leak. Just waiting on a new comp housing at this point.

And Billy, I was thinking the same thing about just increasing the signal to the timing solenoid, if the ECM is infact telling it to retard and not letting it reach full advance. Unfortunately, I haven't found any specs for the signal to that solenoid, so I'm going to have to rig something up to read it.
Sean

I think he is on to something with the solenoid voltage. When you test it, gotta be in stock timing to get correct reading. Did you build a 2 piece cover?

If I were to hazard a guess, the default position for the timing ring will be full retarded, the solenoid can only add fuel, it removes it via fuel leaving the pump so what you will be after is the voltage pulse or ground signal delivered to the timing solenoid circuit. In this case, being able to interrupt the signal could possibly be more beneficial than anything.

If I were to hazard a guess, the default position for the timing ring will be full retarded, the solenoid can only add fuel, it removes it via fuel leaving the pump so what you will be after is the voltage pulse or ground signal delivered to the timing solenoid circuit. In this case, being able to interrupt the signal could possibly be more beneficial than anything.

Interrupting the pulse signal will throw a code I'm betting. Maybe use a turn signal flasher to duplicate the pulse?:hehe:

Interrupting the pulse signal will throw a code I'm betting. Maybe use a turn signal flasher to duplicate the pulse?:hehe:

Maybe, maybe not, all depends on whether or not the code thrown will be limp mode worthy, if it's not, who cares? It will most likely generate the internal timing failure code and keep on going. Turn flasher might just work, IF you can get the bimetallic strip inside to make/break contact around 5,000 times a minute or more, up to the challenge? :poke:

555 timer can be used as a square wave generator. To make a fake signal. However. That would be generating a signal to the pump's ECM. I believe the pump is going to send a regular voltage signal to the solenoid, but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on how the solenoid functions. I'm going to continue tearing this pump down, and find out which wire to take a signal reading from and see what I can come up with. Then I'll probably put a lead into the cab so I can test with a multi-meter.

Sean

555 timer can be used as a square wave generator. To make a fake signal. However. That would be generating a signal to the pump's ECM. I believe the pump is going to send a regular voltage signal to the solenoid, but I could be wrong. I guess it would depend on how the solenoid functions. I'm going to continue tearing this pump down, and find out which wire to take a signal reading from and see what I can come up with. Then I'll probably put a lead into the cab so I can test with a multi-meter.

Sean

Pulling season is not far away. :poke::hehe:

Maybe, maybe not, all depends on whether or not the code thrown will be limp mode worthy, if it's not, who cares? It will most likely generate the internal timing failure code and keep on going. Turn flasher might just work, IF you can get the bimetallic strip inside to make/break contact around 5,000 times a minute or more, up to the challenge? :poke:

I'm just a dumb hillbilly, leave that stuff up to you.:hehe:

One definition of - Insanity; repeating the same action while expecting a different result.

Again, it's been tried, if it had worked, you would know.

One definition of - Insanity; repeating the same action while expecting a different result.

Again, it's been tried, if it had worked, you would know.

Just because it hasn't been done does not mean that it can't be done. Where there's a will there's a way. I'm definitely going to keep watching this thread.:rockwoot:

Just because it hasn't been done does not mean that it can't be done. Where there's a will there's a way. I'm definitely going to keep watching this thread.:rockwoot:

Yet another one. Honestly, no one thinks any of the fueling module manufacturers looked at this?

doesnt tapping the wire with an Edge box try to "outsmart" the vp ECM? or change the timing in the pump?

Yet another one. Honestly, no one thinks any of the fueling module manufacturers looked at this?

I'm sure they have Weston. Alot of people have tried alot of things in life, before the next guy accomplished the task. We live & learn, if we fail, we try something else. Alot of people said that my truck would never make power at 4k rpm, Quadzilla accomplished something that the rest of them could not. I was also told that I couldn't make 600hp with a 64 charger & Mach 5 injectors.:hehe: I'm not saying that I will accomplish 5k rpm with a vp, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna walk away without trying just because the last guy failed. I'm a stubborn sumbeach.:hehe:

Keep it up Jaimie....:clap:
And remember Weston every truck is different.