Wanted: 8ft bed to fit 2009 Dodge.

Went to the neighbor's house last night. He has a 2014 dually bed sitting in the pasture. A decent take off for his flatbed. Tailgate has a ding or two but still better than the one I have. I might can graft the corners off of the 2014 bed onto mine to match up the tailgate. I'll probably investigate this a bit more in the next few days. I couldn't sleep last night so I had many hours to think about it. It just needs a new cap which is like $50.

Last edited:
2014 long bed has been secured by trading for some some electrical work in a barn. :D

I'll keep the tailgate at a minimum, unless someone wants to buy this entire bed and keep it intact and I can find another one. Anyone need a good long bed? It's in really good shape as far as I could tell in the partial darkness.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014.jpg
    2014.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 0
You wont be able to do your Mega fender flares with that bed Jory.... You better just keep the gate.

You wont be able to do your Mega fender flares with that bed Jory.... You better just keep the gate.

I only got the bed to steal the gate off it. I might also cut the rear upper corners and graft the lines onto the new bed so the tailgate lines line up. That's the only reason I wanted the bed. I need to see if I can mod the tailgate to taper the lines off at the ends and not mess with the bedside.

Well, I learnt a few things last night after going to recover the 2014 tailgate from a bed in my neighbor's pasture. I think it will work out nicely.

First thing I noticed was the driver's side hinge was different. I then learned that one must take the bolt out of the rod on the passenger side of the gate and pull the assist rod out of the gate. Walla, it mounts to the truck.

Next, apparently someone had hit the gate with something and bound up the latch on the drivers side. They pried the metal back far enough with a screw driver to torch off the tip of the latch do they could get their gate open. The unlathing mechanism inside was bent. Probably trying to unlatch it. So, the latches are identical to the ones in my 06 and 09 beds. Quick swap and some body work. Walla, it latches perfectly again.

Next, took the handle and opening mechanism out. Ditched the electric solenoid. I don't need electrification in the bed and wire to deal with taking the gate on and off. Cleaned and lubed it all.

Then I managed to get the key cylinder taken apart. I put my truck key in it and filed the tumblers flat so that the lock is now keyed to the original key and my key. Now I can lock the gate if I want. No big deal, but surprised me that I actually rekeyed it and it works.

Put all back together and timed the latches by bending the release rods. At some point I'll take the adjusters out of the 09 gate and put in this one. The older gates have threaded rods where you can exactly time both sides. The 2014 gate does not have this feature. Kinda dumb to drop it.

I need to order a new $50 plastic cap for it, have dad body work the ends to it matches the bedsides, and paint it. Overall, happy with my $0 purchase thus far. Sucks to loose the assist rod, but I hear DeeZee makes an assist that works really well that is very affordable. It needs a bath but here it is. Need to ditch that large badge in the middle as well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014 Gate Installed.jpg
    2014 Gate Installed.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What are you going to do for center light bar?

I'm not. It's gay. ;) :hehe:

Seriously, I don't like it. I'll most likely put the '09 bar back under the gate that mounts on the bottom rail of the bed so there isn't a wire to the gate. It pains me to remove gates that have wires. Dumb IMO.

The light that was on the '06 gate makes me want to hurl. The least dodge could have done was mold it into the gate. Drilling a hole and screwing something on that looks like it cam on a gocart trailer is nuts to me.

TGL-DRAM03-3D-LED-RD-8.jpg

Last edited:
Sucks to loose the assist rod, but I hear DeeZee makes an assist that works really well that is very affordable.

Are you talking about the gate drop down assist?

I have one off my bed/ gate if you’d like it. I put a new bed and gate off a 2021, while putting the mega cab fenders on. I kept the electric gate that has the assist built into the hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not. It's gay. ;) :hehe:

Seriously, I don't like it. I'll most likely put the '09 bar back under the gate that mounts on the bottom rail of the bed so there isn't a wire to the gate. It pains me to remove gates that have wires. Dumb IMO.

The light that was on the '06 gate makes me want to hurl. The least dodge could have done was mold it into the gate. Drilling a hole and screwing something on that looks like it cam on a gocart trailer is nuts to me.

TGL-DRAM03-3D-LED-RD-8.jpg

I can spot a second gen duallie ass end from a good distance away at night. Sexy.

Are you talking about the gate drop down assist?

I have one off my bed/ gate if you’d like it. I put a new bed and gate off a 2021, while putting the mega cab fenders on. I kept the electric gate that has the assist built into the hinges.

So, I went back to the donor bed in the pasture and cut the rear top corners out. Dad is going to graft them onto the ends of my 2006 bed so the tailgate lines match the bed lines.

I also cut out the little nub that supports the drivers end of the gate and I think I can weld it into the center of the older gate support bracket. I'll have to mill the gate assist hootis down diameter wise so it will fit into the bracket. I think it will be possible to gain the option to put the gate assist back into the 14 gate. I'll have to see what I can do.

I also cut the fuel door out of my old 09 bed. Going to have dad graft it into the new bed such that the fuel fill is back in the mega fender where it doesn't need the extra tubing to get to the tank. I can't fill this truck hardly at all with the way this one got extended. The forward fuel doo will be come an air coupler door to my air tank under the truck.

I can spot a second gen duallie ass end from a good distance away at night. Sexy.

Fugly ain't they? I told dad to take that stupid goat symbol off of it and throw it over the fence as well. ;)

Dropped all the shit off at dads body shop on Saturday. Hopefully in a month or so I can have this all done. He's going to prep the fenders and gate in the meantime. That will keep him from having my truck as long when he decides he's ready to dive into it.

Yeah... looks like something you'd see on a Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah... looks like something you'd see on a Toyota.

I dare anyone with a Toyota to come compete with me in any category other than jumping a deep ditch. I couldn't care any less about what it appears to be associated with as long as it provides the services I need. :D

I need something to hang lights facing rearward.....and this fits the ticket. I really like the western hauler type racks from years past....but they are double what this one can be had for $-wise. It's just sheet metal and provides no real cab protection. Merely a place to mount a rear facing camera, work lamps, and some super bright GTFO my ass strobes. ;)

Been looking for something like it since 2012.

Let's seem some aluminum headache racks. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited:
It's ok Jory, I mean after all I'm sure you're only putting out Toyota levels of HP with that clogged fuel filter anyway!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I don’t know. If I were Jory and married to Jay, I’d kill him and feed him to the hogs….:hehe: