Wanting some opinions

For a dedicated puller with stock pistons what's safe on max timing for a P24?

I believe in another thread of mine Smokem said depending on injector spray angle with stock pistons it was around thirty degrees. With the tighter spray angles it was 35* iirc.

here is the videos from the go pro. You can see the way it runs and why im not happy with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_lp_OV8Fyc&feature=player_detailpage"]Ridgefarm Il IPA 2.6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqdJ0UHPb0&feature=player_detailpage&list=ULdDqdJ0UHPb0"]hoopeston 2.6 IPA - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
i would jump timing up around 35*. what injectors/pistons are you running? also what gears and tire size? 5 or 6spd?

34* timing, new 5x20 injectors, stock 04.5-07 commonrail pistons, 5 speed low 4th with 5.13 gears for a 13.90 final and dualed up 35'' bfg's, two airdog 150 at 45psi dual feeding the pump now. Scheid 2.6 protrusion s400 turbo. 88/96 turbine wheel, 1.10 t6 exh housing. A 76mm billet wheel clipped down for the protrusion rules.Hamilton cams 220/240 installed at 101*.

intake air temp ?

Thats a good question. I dont know. I am currently running a heavy duty 100psi stock replacement air to air cooler. I know everybody keeps saying air to water but i dont know that i want to deal with the ice just yet. Im know ice will help it out but i dont think thats my entire issue.. Maybe it is idont know. I know quite a few trucks that are 2.8 style trucks still running air to air and making good power. Maybe these protrusion chargers dont like it though.

IMO its the turbo, i havent seen a truck with 2.6 protrusion s400 charger run worth getting out of the shop including my own. I think they looked good before these hx60 turbos were all over now were sucking hind tit.... On the other hand if someone knows where theres a truck with an s400 2.6 protrusion charger on it that runs good i would like to see a video.

Here is the very first hook on the truck this year. same basic setup except a box stock 475 3x3 charger with a 2.6 bushing and the 1.10 exh housing. My old 6x18 injectors and one airdog pump.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1jO6cazfQ&feature=player_detailpage"]2012 Truck pulls Rankin Tim Burton.MPG - YouTube[/ame]

Then i swithched to the new charger and it has not ran right since. I have changed timing, fuel, and injectors with no improvement at all. I swapped the old charger back on for the hardin pull saturday. Im not gonna say its all the turbos fault but it appears to not like the rest of my setup.

IMO its the turbo, i havent seen a truck with 2.6 protrusion s400 charger run worth getting out of the shop including my own. I think they looked good before these hx60 turbos were all over now were sucking hind tit.... On the other hand if someone knows where theres a truck with an s400 2.6 protrusion charger on it that runs good i would like to see a video.

LOL

i hear that. Im gonna try the original turbo but its not a good comparison but the only one i can do right now.

There were several last year. One got 4th at platte, and I think one ended up third at scheid. Not saying they are better than an HX60, just there were a few. I think 90% of the folks have a precision or HX60. The other 10% wish they had a precision or 60.

There were several last year. One got 4th at platte, and I think one ended up third at scheid. Not saying they are better than an HX60, just there were a few. I think 90% of the folks have a precision or HX60. The other 10% wish they had a precision or 60.

put me on the wish in one hand and ****t in the other list.LOL

4th last year would put you 24th this year or further back... Anyone heard for sure what ppl is gonna do for 2.6 charger rule next year?

here is some pics of the turbo in question. Im wondering if the cover might not be part of the issue.

288fcfc4.jpg

7a73de6f.jpg

32e47ce2.jpg

OK, didn't realize that, my crystal ball is broken.

I wasnt trying to smart ass ya, just pointing out that me and tim are pretty well pissing in the wind with these s400s in 2012.

Tim what does brad say you talked to him about that turbo?

I wasnt trying to smart ass ya, just pointing out that me and tim are pretty well pissing in the wind with these s400s in 2012.

Tim what does brad say you talked to him about that turbo?

yeah you know, precision,precision,precision. I said i dont have 5k for a turbo and then another 3-5k for the air to water setup. So after that it was possibly the cam timing and injectors. They still reccomend their 6x18 over my 5x20. If it dont run any better at hardin then im gonna pull it and set up some dyno time with Brad to try some cam and injector swaps. The turbo i just dont know yet. Basicaslly i want it to run like yours has before protrusion and like Adam Wendts truck. I know he still runs a air to air but i believe he is running a bushed precision 2.8 charger setup. It wont be the top setup for say platte city or scheids but would be plenty strong for the rest of our pulls and not get beat by 2.5 workstock dmaxes.lol

Last edited: