what causes bounce

My buddy gave me weights today. He had [8] 100# weights sitting in the weeds by his garage. The dummy was gonna haul them in for scrap before I saw them.

wow! around here suitcase weights run a buck a pound doesn't matter what they look like or what brand they are 100# $100. 75# $75.00

Must be nice!! What brand?? Ill buy two off you.

They are IH brand. One is smaller, like maybe 50lb-75, but the rest are 100lb I believe. I only brought 3 home today, but I can get more I'm sure. I'll let you know.

they are either 75's or 100's it is pretty rare to find anything else. especailly if they are true IH's

wow! around here suitcase weights run a buck a pound doesn't matter what they look like or what brand they are 100# $100. 75# $75.00

The guy is my Mason for my construction business. We are good friends & if I need something he has, its free...same for him. Its nice having friends like that.:rockwoot:

they are either 75's or 100's it is pretty rare to find anything else. especailly if they are true IH's

I believe they all have the IH sign on them, but I'm sure the smaller one said IH on the side. I will get pics up when my weight rack is done. I already built the hitch & mounted it on the truck. The rack is built, but I still gotta drill the hole for the hitch pin & weld some gussetts etc. Only about 1/2 worth of work to complete it, then paint it up. I'll probably finish it up Sunday.

how much pressure are we talking about here?

It depends on tire size, weight rating and wheel size. I usually run the max rated pressure for the rear tire as a starting point. Adjusting five pounds up or down on the rear is a noticable difference. It depends on track conditions.

It depends on tire size, weight rating and wheel size. I usually run the max rated pressure for the rear tire as a starting point. Adjusting five pounds up or down on the rear is a noticable difference. It depends on track conditions.

How much weight you hangin' Kevin?

I can hang 500#. Some places I don't hang any. Depends on the mood I'm in.LOL Most of the time I leave the rear pressure as it was when I drove in. I'll drop the front's to 35#.

I can hang 500#. Some places I don't hang any. Depends on the mood I'm in.LOL Most of the time I leave the rear pressure as it was when I drove in. I'll drop the front's to 35#.

I am just wondering if 450# is really gonna help much. My truck is 7550 with my fatazz in it.:hehe:

Hanging weights, even 450#, will definately help your truck pull better if you're blowing the tires off, especally. I'll run anywhere from 200-500#'s where everyone else I run with seem to run as much as possible. This will also allow you to lower your hitch back down, b/c your front end going down will bring your rear up. Depending on how I come out determines the bounce, but all but my very last hook, I've run my back tires at around 40# and my fronts around 30-32#. The last one, I jumped way up to 55# and didn't think I was going to get off the line. A couple of the guys I ru with swear by 55# rear and 35# front. Take that for what its worth, but they end up beating the dog snot out of everyone else up here.

How do you know the inside of the tread is folding in?

Cummins724, I would definitely try it with some preload on the traction bars just to see what happens. Try running them as tight as you can get them with just using your hands. Im assuming the rules in your area call for 1" minimum suspension travel?

I definately wouldnt lower my hitch.

Even if it stops the hopping, you wont pull as good. Set the hitch as high as you can run it, and then chase problems from there.

I also think maybe more pressure in the rears would help. Lower pressure allows the tires to wrinkle, then hop and unwrinkle, and do the whole process again. If they are aired up good, they dont have any give, and will just spin smoothly until they hook up.

This is also one problem with the 1" travel rule IMO. It causes many more hopping/breaking problems than running solid blocks.

Eric

Cummins724, I would definitely try it with some preload on the traction bars just to see what happens. Try running them as tight as you can get them with just using your hands. Im assuming the rules in your area call for 1" minimum suspension travel?

Yep 1". I don't want to make too many changes at once. I'm gonna start by adjusting my hitch back down to 24" & see where I'm at. I never bounced when it was at 24" before. Then tire pressure is my next test. If those don't work, I'll try the preload. Thanks

Add some preload to the bars along with weight and tires. You want your hitch as high as possible, but depending on how much weight you run where, will determine how much height you can run because of the teeter totter affect. Just my $.02.

Teddybear and Cummins Driver are steering you in the right direction.