What timing to run at the strip?

I'm running 28.5 degrees with my "Crappy" DDP injectors. They work great for my setup.

I run 26* with my crappy injectors. They make good power, run just as smooth as a stock injector. They seem to want high timing, at least in my truck anything lower than 20* and it runs bad. Does that make it a crappy injector? i dont think. Expensive? yea. Worth it, yea. When I had the head off it wasnt spraying out of the bowl, pistons looked great, cylinder walls ect.... I here 12v's with 370's and 17 plus * timing that knock like a 24v. Mine does not.

In comparison to the pump he has and the other injectors out there, those are crappy. I know plenty of people make big power with DDP4's, but with a better set you could make more power with less heat and less smoke, and have a better idle, easier start, etc. For a 12v I would run SDX injectors.

DDP4 will Not Be a restriction to 600cc's of fuel. DDP injectors idle very smooth, have you owned a set? I had a 650 pump with 4's at one point they made me happy. I would Like to try SDX sometime tho i cant speak to much here because i havent. His restriction is going to be a 64 charger

I have ran 370's, never DDP's but my buddy has DDP's and hates them. Idle sucks, starts harder, smokes but doesn't make enough power justify it. They have been sent back to DDP twice-they say they are just fine.

Again, DDP4's can and do make big power, just saying that for the money there are much better options out there these days.

I have ran 370's, never DDP's but my buddy has DDP's and hates them. Idle sucks, starts harder, smokes but doesn't make enough power justify it. They have been sent back to DDP twice-they say they are just fine.

Again, DDP4's can and do make big power, just saying that for the money there are much better options out there these days.

Most people would look for where the problem lies and not blame an injector for the faults... Bigger more efficent injectors are like a magnifying glass. If you have a weak link somewhere in the system, they will magnify that weakness....Might want to diag. the problem and fix it. The injectors are obvously NOT the issue on that truck...

I have performed back to back testing on my stock 160 pump with stock 160 injectors with stock timing at 12.3* vs bumped timing set at 24.5*.

The result was roughly 40 HP increase based purely on 1/4 mile trap speed increase from the bumped timing.

I have not yet tried other timing settings, but wonder why you think 17-18 is optimal for the drag strip? Have you tested different timing settings or do you have some sort of input to support why 17-18* is optimal in you opinion?

I'm just curious, not being arguementive or hostile.

If i had one of those fancy billet covers and adjustable timing gears, I would play around with timing more often. It's such a pain to mess with timing on my truck that I haven't played with it much.

I take no offence. Heres my thinking on this truck. He has a "small" single charger, and other minor upgrades. The injectors will flow just about whatever is thrown at them. In his "stock" application ie. stock compression, charger size (64), and pump mods. I think the rpm range and power curve for him would be the best a little under 20 degrees.
If I had a better picture of his set up I could be less conservitive. Gov. springs? delivery valves? Whats the cam profile? In an overall picture I honestly can't see running much more than 20 without lower compression, and other mods and even then it would be ideal to dyno or track tune the truck to get the curve where you wanted it...

Look the point is the OP has way more fuel than that turbo can ever burn. No one can argue that.

we bumped it down to 20 and it has no top end at all. gonna do a compression test i believe. and the pump has full cuts. i was thinking of trying my 191's and seeing what i can do with that.

You are misrepresenting DDP. You cant rule out DDP injectors especially on a nation wide forum until the actual problem on the truck has been solved. Then take the truck to the track/Dyno and testntune it with several different injectors. I Promise you a large company, with a good reputation such as DDP would not sell an injector that makes a truck idle bad, start harder and not make the power that is advertised. Especially when injectors are there specialty. His problem lies elsewhere

Look the point is the OP has way more fuel than that turbo can ever burn. No one can argue that.
there is enough air there to make over 700 with 1350 max egts. My brothers truck has had two egt gauges that read the same so not gauge problem. He also has ran 114-115 in the quater but he can't get the thing out of the hole to get in the 11s

we bumped it down to 20 and it has no top end at all. gonna do a compression test i believe. and the pump has full cuts. i was thinking of trying my 191's and seeing what i can do with that.
25* worked well with the DDP4's, 191's and a 64/71/14, my track ran consistent 12.1-12.4's@111-115mph. Get those 191's in and move the plate about 1/16" at a time until you find the sweet spot.

Fuel only? That would be very impressive..
Fuel only, last time I raced it I did have a peak recall of 1610*, but it started going down before the 1/8 mile. Crossing through the traps I saw 1165*.
Edit: And that's with "crappy DDP4's"

Last edited:
ya thinkin of putting timing at 25 and putting the 191's in. going to track tuesday night. ill let ya guys know.

look into lennies 042's....I was happier with these. Depends on your budget tho

Back