What turbo would be good?

A phat shaft 62 is kinda small for peak dyno numbers but should do well on the street. He probably should have bought a super phat shaft with the larger freer flowing exhaust turbine wheel. It spools slower but has much stronger topend pull.

It says on industrial's web site that the waste gate is set at 40 psi so you don't need studs. I'm sure you need to adjust the gate if you want to get the full capability of the turbo, right?:poke:

People still blow gaskets at 40lbs sometimes. Biggest thing you can do is make sure the truck is fully warmed up before making big boost. You can replace the head bolts with new bolts or studs or just let it ride and fix it if/when she goes =P

FWIW: My 62/14 came set at 40 (I was told) and I max out at 43-44 at WOT after a good warm up. No problems so far. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, it might last forever. Spend the money for the studs on other upgrades that actually produce power. :D

Well I found out tonight that he is not sure what turbo he bought! He says its a phat shaft but not sure which one any way to tell the difference? Oh, and also i found out he put the 250 tips in it and said "it was not that bad with the smoke".
I guess me spending time looking on here and asking you guys questions for him was all a waste. :kick:

What do you think will happen if he got a 62? HIGH EGT's!!! :bang

FWIW: My 62/14 came set at 40 (I was told) and I max out at 43-44 at WOT after a good warm up. No problems so far. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, it might last forever. Spend the money for the studs on other upgrades that actually produce power. :D

if you're lucky you'll pressurize the cooling system or maybe push water out the side of the motor...

if you're unlucky you'll cross contaminate and have to flush the cooling system, pull/flush the radiator, etc.

studs = cheap insurance

I'm not a big fan of unplanned downtime, so I don't mind doing preventative stuff

I have a question. 250hp "tips"???? I thought the stock bodies where only good to like 140ish hp? Maybe 150, like the jammer 5's....

Must admight Studs are a cheap investment,When took our 01 and put a CR Head on it & 200HP DragonFlow 11hole sticks from II,We did not cheap out on the studs.The 625series was a cheap investment,Especialy now that we run the SilverBullet 66 and EGT's of 1800 SledPulling and 1600 DragRacing Best time of 13.45 with no drugs.STUDS ARE A CHEAP INVESTMENT!!

Must admight Studs are a cheap investment,When took our 01 and put a CR Head on it & 200HP DragonFlow 11hole sticks from II,We did not cheap out on the studs.The 625series was a cheap investment,Especialy now that we run the SilverBullet 66 and EGT's of 1800 SledPulling and 1600 DragRacing Best time of 13.45 with no drugs.STUDS ARE A CHEAP INVESTMENT!!

Are you running just studs..? you didn't o-ring or fire ring it...?

I have a question. 250hp "tips"???? I thought the stock bodies where only good to like 140ish hp? Maybe 150, like the jammer 5's....

Ya I agree, a simple tip change wont work well if they are truely 250ish. What size are they and how many holes? The pin inside the injector will only flow so much unless they are modified. And when the pin meters the fuel (Instead of the holes) the injectors will be hot/smokey and not make much power, as the fuel drools from the holes. The holes need to do the metering for good atomization. You would probably be better off with smaller injectors. Not to mention a 62 is way too small for a 250hp injector. More fuel doesn't always make more power. A 62 will get you into the low 500hp range if the set up is correct.

"Huh Huh, Let's just make them darn holes bigger, Huh huh huh":D Thats what we did back in the day before we learned how to make the VP trucks work well. I hope this helps.

My buddy has Jammer 5's(not sure what size that is, 200 I think??), edge hott, smarty, and a S300 and it runs very well!

Jammer 5's are a 150hp injector and from what I've read from ppl on here and other sites are about the max you can get out of stock bodies...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Jammer 5's are a 150hp injector and from what I've read from ppl on here and other sites are about the max you can get out of stock bodies...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

They were 150's, I had one of the first sets from Diesel Dynamics and they worked well. My truck ran 12's fuel only with them and a 62 turbo. They are about as big as you can go with stock bodies in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply it is not my truck and I don't know much about the cummins, But I did not think that you could go that big with only a tip. I do know it will be quick but as I was trying to tell him it will be getting HOT when he tows his trailer.

The truck I was talking about above tows some and it does not get that hot. He usually turns the edge off when towing and just runs the smarty

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I think the Jammer injectors are good for cheap power, but don't expect the full amount out of them. I don't think they idle as well as other injectors that the maunufactuer takes more time on to flow mach and all that good stuff. Jammer injector nozzels, Cheap power? Yes. All around performance? Not so much

Ya I agree, a simple tip change wont work well if they are truely 250ish. What size are they and how many holes? The pin inside the injector will only flow so much unless they are modified. And when the pin meters the fuel (Instead of the holes) the injectors will be hot/smokey and not make much power, as the fuel drools from the holes. The holes need to do the metering for good atomization. You would probably be better off with smaller injectors.

What else would need to be done with the injectors to make them less smokey on the bottom end? Could we change the pin in the injector?

If the jammer nozzles are not a good nozzle, what makes (and who) a good injector and or injector tip? I know a lot of questions but I like to read about all this stuff so it looks like I know what I am talking about.:hehe:

www.F1diesel.com.:woohoo: Also if your jammers are pop tested well,etc, they will run good. As far as the idle/smoothness/egts, mine are just as good as stock but with waaaaayy more power(especially for the money) I love my jammer 4's, just wish they were 5's.