Where have they been?

Monster charger, tube headers. It wasn't a remote mounted turbo.

It doesnt turn that many Rpms. Its the long tube headers that make it sound that way guys. It toned it down a bit when he put the hood stack on....(common sence, goin from 10 feet of exhaust to 3ft will lower the pitch) What other trucks have Troy built??? What trucks are you guys comparing it too??? Nobody found N20 on his truck... so that rumor should be nipped in the ass now.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that a lot of why his sounded the way it did (gainer's sounded similar as did a couple others with those tube headers) was he ran/runs long tube style headers and spins some pretty high RPMs as well?

Gainers truck sounded nothing even remotely close to wakemans... nobodys does. Gainers had log style headers. Troys headers are built by a close friend of his, the headers and up pipes are nothing like whats on anyone elses duramax. The size is pretty unreal, i imagine thats one reason he has trouble lighting the charger, but probably gives him some good flow up high.

Nathan thornleys doesnt sound like that niether does josh o'conners his doesnt either now and it runs sounds like any other duramax, damn i think i will have some long tube headers built for my tow rig... think it will make it sound like its turning 8000 rpms going down the interstate? i doubt it

It has sounded the same everytime ive seen it pull this summer. I think every duramax that pulls around here sounds different than each other.

Gainers truck sounded nothing even remotely close to wakemans... nobodys does. Gainers had log style headers. Troys headers are built by a close friend of his, the headers and up pipes are nothing like whats on anyone elses duramax. The size is pretty unreal, i imagine thats one reason he has trouble lighting the charger, but probably gives him some good flow up high.

I know gainers had long tube style headers a cpl years ago, I seen em with my own two eyes. ;)

And no, it didn't sound exactly like wakeman's but it's probably one of the closest. That guys up in PA or N.OH that helps Caleb & trailerpro that had long tubes also sounded similar & I know his spun high RPM (above 4500 down the track).

Troy has said to my face though that he doesn't turn the RPMs ppl think. I have no reason to take him for a liar. I'm guessing 4000-4200 the times I've seen it run a cpl yrs ago.

I have no idea what he's got now or how it sounds or anything else. Just know it sounds badass & was told it's mostly due to his headers which is quantifiable to me based on other trucks I've heard with similar headers.

Caleb builds his own stuff.

I know gainers had long tube style headers a cpl years ago, I seen em with my own two eyes. ;)

And no, it didn't sound exactly like wakeman's but it's probably one of the closest. That guys up in PA or N.OH that helps Caleb & trailerpro that had long tubes also sounded similar & I know his spun high RPM (above 4500 down the track).

Troy has said to my face though that he doesn't turn the RPMs ppl think. I have no reason to take him for a liar. I'm guessing 4000-4200 the times I've seen it run a cpl yrs ago.

I have no idea what he's got now or how it sounds or anything else. Just know it sounds badass & was told it's mostly due to his headers which is quantifiable to me based on other trucks I've heard with similar headers.

LOL "He's runnin' the NAWS, I hearded it with my ear dynos"

Some people need to engage their brain before typing on the interwebs...

Nathan thornleys doesnt sound like that niether does josh o'conners his doesnt either now and it runs sounds like any other duramax, damn i think i will have some long tube headers built for my tow rig... think it will make it sound like its turning 8000 rpms going down the interstate? i doubt it

Neither of those trucks have headers like Troys. Josh Oconners truck has a stock motor in it.... Good comparison! Why dont you man up and tell Troy you think he was running n20. I gaurantee he will whoop you on the pulling track, then tell you to put your money where your mouth is and he will tear his down at the end of the track... if you find n20 he will give you the truck, if not, you give him yours.... Seen him tell that Richardson guy, (drove the outlaw pulling truck) at sdx last year. If you think hes turning some crazy rpms... then you need to just not worry about duramaxes cause your clueless.

I didnt realize gainer used to run them... and yes, that is exactly right, i pull with him every week, People that think hes turning crazy high rpms, and running n20 are just dumb a$$es. Hes had a bad year this year cause hes been trying some different $hit... so everyone instantly starts running their traps.

Last edited:
Kinda off topic but I think Evan Davis has the best sounding d max ever.. sounds like crazy rpm also but I think head 4200 give or take also.

Kusilek's old 2.8 truck always sounded like it turned a lot of r's but they had headers on that one also. Not that this helps this conversation any!!

Caleb builds his own stuff.

Right on, Thanx Bryan! I build and tune my own stuff. But for the record were runing rick manifolds, pipes and pedastal. My secret is a big muffler to hide the big rpm sound:doh:

Sorry Caleb. I knew you did your own build, what's the guys name? I just can't remember now. White crew cab with stickers EVERYWHERE. Powermax diesel maybe? Anyways, it ran long tubes iirc & all I was getting at.

Neither of those trucks have headers like Troys. Josh Oconners truck has a stock motor in it.... Good comparison! Why dont you man up and tell Troy you think he was running n20. I gaurantee he will whoop you on the pulling track, then tell you to put your money where your mouth is and he will tear his down at the end of the track... if you find n20 he will give you the truck, if not, you give him yours.... Seen him tell that Richardson guy, (drove the outlaw pulling truck) at sdx last year. If you think hes turning some crazy rpms... then you need to just not worry about duramaxes cause your clueless.

Rob im not gonna argue with you over the internet but just be damn sure you know what your talking about before sticking up for someone.

Sorry Caleb. I knew you did your own build, what's the guys name? I just can't remember now. White crew cab with stickers EVERYWHERE. Powermax diesel maybe? Anyways, it ran long tubes iirc & all I was getting at.

Matt Weingart. Powermax express

Rob im not gonna argue with you over the internet but just be damn sure you know what your talking about before sticking up for someone.

More importantly I would make sure that you know what your talking about before you accuse someone of cheating. Even better have proof!

Im not arguing with you either, Im telling you to man up and say something to him instead of mouthing him over the internet when you have no clue what that thing does, or what he does. I know exactly what his response will be.