Where to by Water to air Intercooler

wilddiesel

Where is the best place to by a water to air intercooler? Something that will handle high boost.

i think frozen boost has the same one that lazersmith sells. i have used them to over 100psi. the 70psi is for the water pressure i think.

hey 2tone when are you going to post some under hood shots of your trucks intercooler setup

just curious to what kind of prices these units go for? I remember back when the topic first came up and just looked at some prices and was amazed at how expensive they where...anything changed as far as price goes? what size of core do they actuall have?

RyanB

just curious to what kind of prices these units go for? I remember back when the topic first came up and just looked at some prices and was amazed at how expensive they where...anything changed as far as price goes? what size of core do they actuall have?

RyanB

Here you go. Quite a few options. I looked at the biggest one they have on there and the max for air or water pressure is 70psi.

frozenboost.com

been doing quite a bit of reading and searching online since my post this morning (its to damn cold outside and snowy to do anything constructive today outside today!)

Anyway, just curious to what makes these cheaper units differ from the turbonetics unit listed on Garrets site? Also, the core's in these a/w IC's are quite a bit smaller in cubic inches than the typical aftermarket intercooler most have ran in the past. Is there a point when forcing freezing cold water thru these cores that you just can't cool the air anymore? Just curious if an even larger core could bring the intake air temp down even more while still using the same amount of cooling (bags of ice) as the smaller systems do.
Also, is everyone just running on unit with there single chargers or would it be benifical to jump up to 2 intercoolers?

Sorry for all the questions but I have run nothing but major amounts of water injection in the past and I am just getting all my ideas together for a new project and would just like to get my direction figured out ahead of time on where I want it to go.

RyanB

Call Woodruff, Garrett, and im not sure if ED had played with them yet either.
Brandon

better mount a hotel size ice machine and generator on your gooseneck as well... lol

Thoughts - I have been running one of the cheapies for three years - and it flat out works

No, i dont make over the rated 80 psi boost rating on it, but then neither do 97% of most pullers on here. So does one pay $800 for a name brand, or $80 for an Australian or China piece. I bet they both get thier cores from the same manufacturer, which is still probably chinese

efficiency rating wether pressure drop, or cooling limits are subjective at best - because it depends on who was testing it and at what air and water pressures, boost pressures etc etc etc

Considering an air to air doesnt do much of anything at 10-28 mph on the track, except heat soak, I would think any air temp reduction would be beneficial

I know my water/air will pull temps down to almost ambient with the current setup with two heat exchangers, one that is fan cooled, one that is ice cooled

i would suggest that you buy what you can afford, because some air temp reduction is better than none

I think with the water pump, the w/a, the AN lines and fittings and two exchangers i might have $250 tied up in the whole setup

Ryan - yes the larger w/a will do a better job if you have the room for it. The only thing will change is the boost pressure drop from the 2 psi or so for the 4x6x12 core to about 5-6 psi on the 4x10 x12 cores that are regularly advertised

Last edited:
i would suggest that you buy what you can afford, because some air temp reduction is better than none

with that being said Ken, and say if money where no option...which way would one go? to smaller units inline, one large one or something else? just trying to get everyones opinions on whats going to work. Lets say if someone where running a big set of twins and seeing over 100psi, whats the best way to go then?

RyanB

Well if I was doin twins - i would go back to dual intercoolers - one between the chargers, and one after, like i did on my original twins setup
I would still use the cheapie intercoolers and my dual heat exchanger setup

for a single setup you cant begin to beat this 100psi ratedsingle setup - all you need is some hose and 1" heater hose is cheap and works - just not as purdy as my AN lines

Air to Water Intercooler Heat Exchanger Tank Pump KIT :eBay Motors (item 350299449002 end time Jan-06-10 19:08:18 PST)

so are you running heat exchangers then...as in the ice/water in your tank never physically comes in contact with the water going to the IC??? I kind of remember you talking about this in the past and forget how you did it. Most I have seen are pumping the ice water straight into the a/w ic.

Ryan

We used a froxen boost ic and absolutly love it would change. tooo cold can create problems also I believe getting a turbo to lite. We also pull air from in front of the truck fully insulated and shielded also the ic and pipes are fully shield and insulated. First time we tried pulling air right from engine compartment and no shielding or insulation any where and trust me it didn't work. steamed the ice and water and poped the top on the cooler. shielding and heat wrap is a must. Intake temps are great at 80-100 psi hope this helps