Where to by Water to air Intercooler

As I said - I am doen with this thread - I have better things to do than argue with know it alls

It doesnt take an engineer to understand heat loss and gain and heat retention - it only requires an open mind and the ability to understand what the engineers have written on design and use of an intercooler

Given the non supported sandbox mentality insults provided in this thread, (no substantiated theories of your own to sustain your insults and postulations) , i doubt some of you could/would understand whats been said or offered cuz yur too busy being "right" because some "shop" said so and/or does it

For anyone who wishes to read how to properly use and size an intercooler the internet is full of the necessary info

Here are two of hundreds of very good examples; - to you two or three know it all sandboxers, try arguing with these ;o) although I can hear it already "this is for gassers and isnt applicable to a diesel"

Intercooler Theory

Bell Intercoolers - Technology and FAQs

That is for gassers. It doesn't apply to diesels.:hehe::kick:

As I said - I am doen with this thread - I have better things to do than argue with know it alls

It doesnt take an engineer to understand heat loss and gain and heat retention - it only requires an open mind and the ability to understand what the engineers have written on design and use of an intercooler

Given the non supported sandbox mentality insults provided in this thread, (no substantiated theories of your own to sustain your insults and postulations) , i doubt some of you could/would understand whats been said or offered cuz yur too busy being "right" because some "shop" said so and/or does it

For anyone who wishes to read how to properly use and size an intercooler the internet is full of the necessary info

Here are two of hundreds of very good examples; - to you two or three know it all sandboxers, try arguing with these ;o) although I can hear it already "this is for gassers and isnt applicable to a diesel"

Intercooler Theory

Bell Intercoolers - Technology and FAQs
ROFL. When you call the phone number in your second link, they ask very specific information about your application:

1. Flow-Capacity for the selected core
2. max. Engine Brake-Horsepower
3. Boost-Pressure at that BHP
4. Water-Flow-Rate through the Intercooler
5. Water Temperature

Why? Because an engineer came up with an equation that calculates the theoretical temp drop then flow rate needed to achieve that temp drop. It's physics, not guessing.

Here's something to ponder. My first air/water design came in needing slightly over 50GPM for the intended temp drop. I sized the core too small. :doh:

You know the more i think about this i tend to agree with what everyone is saying here. In my comparison to the engine overheating without a t-stat I am backwards.

It should be looked at comparing the charge air going through the cooler to the engine coolant and the water going through the cooler would be the air going through the rad. So obviously speeding up the water traveling through it would cause better cooling just as speeding up the air going through a radiator helps cooling.

I get it now thanks guys:Cheer:

100+ psi, seriously how many times have you seen a lesser rated one blow up? What is a stock intercooler rated at? How far have you pushed one? The frozen boost one's appear to be quality units, have 2 of them laying around. I've seen 3.0 trucks running them without problems.

you know - it is a funny thing - with all of the various rants and accusations on here that i dont know anything - there is not one single one of you naysayers who have posted anything other than insults and rants - Why - because you have no idea yourselves

Wheres your "proof" that I am wrong in my assumptions and personal research and calculations - right or wrong at least I have done some

If you naysayers had anything concrete to back up your stance/opinions as in calcs or design, or engineering, to counter anything i said etc, etc, etc, you would be saying so with real information rather than using insults

So - Put up or shut up - as in post your own "proof" and calcs on what works or doesnt work - we all, including myself - would love to learn how to improve our trucks for more hp

As to the water issue - why would I bother, I would have as much success as the proverbial snowball - your naysayer minds are closed, and made up, and in your mind(s) your "I know because", will always outweight any facts I or anyone else might present to you - (never mind that the question asked of me was where were the sizing calculations for an intercooler core which is what i gave)

example - "thats definitely gasser stuff and doesnt apply" geeeze how incredibly assinine can one get - do you really beleive that just because you run a diesel, that how an intercooler works to dissipate heat is different than for any other kinda motor, gas, propane, natural gas, hydrogen

Go research heat transfer, [heat retention (aka latent heat of an object aka heat soak )] heat absorption, shear, fluid dynamics and {thermodynamics - not all of which includes vaporization or turning of states as in the other kind of latent heat}, but is of work or heat energy applied or lost and a whole host of other scientific data and when your done and have something intelligent to say other than insults I would love to be shown the error of my thinking

Hint - you wont find any of that information in "Diesel 101" or someones "shop"

Last edited:
you know - it is a funny thing - with all of the various rants and accusations on here that i dont know anything - there is not one single one of you naysayers who have posted anything other than insults and rants - Why - because you have no idea yourselves

Wheres your "proof" that I am wrong in my assumptions and personal research and calculations - right or wrong at least I have done some

If you naysayers had anything concrete to back up your stance/opinions as in calcs or design, or engineering, to counter anything i said etc, etc, etc, you would be saying so with real information rather than using insults

So - Put up or shut up - as in post your own "proof" and calcs on what works or doesnt work - we all, including myself - would love to learn how to improve our trucks for more hp

As to the water issue - why would I bother, I would have as much success as the proverbial snowball - your naysayer minds are closed, and made up, and in your mind(s) your "I know because", will always outweight any facts I or anyone else might present to you - (never mind that the question asked of me was where were the sizing calculations for an intercooler core which is what i gave)

example - "thats definitely gasser stuff and doesnt apply" geeeze how incredibly assinine can one get - do you really beleive that just because you run a diesel, that how an intercooler works to dissipate heat is different than for any other kinda motor, gas, propane, natural gas, hydrogen

Go research heat transfer, [heat retention (aka latent heat of an object aka heat soak )] heat absorption, shear, fluid dynamics and {thermodynamics - not all of which includes vaporization or turning of states as in the other kind of latent heat}, but is of work or heat energy applied or lost and a whole host of other scientific data and when your done and have something intelligent to say other than insults I would love to be shown the error of my thinking

Thats funny right there, cause I think a few of the folks you are arguing with do this stuff for a living. One reason I am not gonna whip out my thermo and heat transfer books is I don't run an air to water setup. The other is I can't find them LOL. Engineering uses alot of assumptions and finding the right equation for your application. It isn't about finding an equation and just plugging the numbers in.

What I have noticed and you get credit for trying to develop stuff on your own is that you try to use facts and equations to back up your findings, it just seems that you neglect some assumptions and look possibly at the overall picture.

thank you Zstroken

Like I said - right or wrong - at least i try - and as you said there is no "equation" to just plug into - so yes I make some assumptions and yes I may use the wrong term or phrase here n there cuz i dotn do it for a living, but for the most part those assumptions seem to work and i seem to get there, usually sooner than many

if one of these guys who do this for a living would provide the correct calcs, n such - we would all learn sumthing positive here

There is no positive in name calling and insults

Arguing - wasnt intended - all I been sayin is - if I am wrong correct me with real facts, science and design, rather than insult me which only gets people backs up

Nuff said!! till someone shows us the right path and we have questions on how they got there

When running a bilge pump, has anyone measured how many GPM they are actually getting through the intercooler? It seems the bilge pumps are made for volume, but little pressure. Looking at the specs of the Rule, Attwood, SeaChoice, etc pumps, the GPM suffers dramatically with increases in head pressure. I think it would be magnified even more by passing through the small 3/4" ports on the water-to-air coolers. I'm looking at bilge pumps for my setup, along with the pump in the link below (if it shows up). It seems to hold up better under pressure and is rated with a more realistic 3/4 hose size.

12 Volt Utility Pump: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16832_16832

When running a bilge pump, has anyone measured how many GPM they are actually getting through the intercooler? It seems the bilge pumps are made for volume, but little pressure. Looking at the specs of the Rule, Attwood, SeaChoice, etc pumps, the GPM suffers dramatically with increases in head pressure. I think it would be magnified even more by passing through the small 3/4" ports on the water-to-air coolers. I'm looking at bilge pumps for my setup, along with the pump in the link below (if it shows up). It seems to hold up better under pressure and is rated with a more realistic 3/4 hose size.

12 Volt Utility Pump: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16832_16832

is a pump like this or are any of them men to run fr long periods of time? like for say it was on a dd truck?

I was browsing through our local Lowe's store today and saw a clearance sell on backup 12 volt sump pump systems. They had a Wayne 2880 GPH setup on sale for $49.95 (regulary 200+). One of the boxes had been opened so I looked through it and the pump seemed very solid and it even had a 12volt battery box and charger included. I bought one that had not been opened; I opened it a few minutes ago and found they had changed pumps to a Rule 3700 gph pump. If anyone is looking for a great deal on a pump setup, try your local Lowe's store; they may be on clearance for a steal of a price.

Well I can come up with some bs answer and make you prove its wrong. We can do that all day. You can go type some bs come back to it. Post a link to it somewhere one the web to "prove" I was wrong. But that doesn't really mean chit to me. From what I see from the guys that checked into it and know a little something about it. Your statements or whatever you call them seem to be bs. I think your the one that needs to prove something. How bout this. You run your pumps at 10 gpm and let that water be boiling hot halfway through the intercooler. And Ill keep my fire hydrant pumps moving the water in and out with the heat very fast. And we will let the power of the trucks do the talking. Sound good?

thank you Zstroken

Like I said - right or wrong - at least i try - and as you said there is no "equation" to just plug into - so yes I make some assumptions and yes I may use the wrong term or phrase here n there cuz i dotn do it for a living, but for the most part those assumptions seem to work and i seem to get there, usually sooner than many

if one of these guys who do this for a living would provide the correct calcs, n such - we would all learn sumthing positive here

There is no positive in name calling and insults

Arguing - wasnt intended - all I been sayin is - if I am wrong correct me with real facts, science and design, rather than insult me which only gets people backs up

Nuff said!! till someone shows us the right path and we have questions on how they got there

I thought you said you were done with this thread a long long time ago.:what:

Back