Where to by Water to air Intercooler

yes the thermostat opens at operating temp but the thermo stat is still blockin some flow restrictin the water going around it.

Well honestly it doesn't matter to me. It worked all year on a 1200 hp motor so well. The water injection never had to be used. I think your going a bit overboard on how fast the thing flows. Its not a power washer. Its a very big orfice that moves lots of volume because of the large diameter hole. NOT because there is alot of pressure. Pressure is like 15 psi I believe. Anyhow...

I dont know how it keeps it from over heating but i knw i used to run some spray trucks in the summer time and i had pulled the thermostat to hopefully bring down the temp and it did the exact opposite. instead of just getting really warm it overheated in less time than it took to just get warm. now i have no idea if that same concept works with one of these intercoolers but i am just saying that it had happend to me. Question i do have do you run anti freeze or some sort of colent instead of just water since the coolent exchanges heat much better thn water?

I think you guys are getting confused. A radiator and a intercooler (h20 to air) are completly different principals. A radiator you dont want the coolant to pass thru too fast or good heat transfer wont happen, and the engine wont cool. Same way with oil coolers on machines hydraulic systems, thats why oil flow is critical.

Where a IC is different is that you want the core to stay at what ever temp you desire to cool the air passing over. It does not matter how fast you push water thru it but not too slow, its capicity is dependent on the velocity of the charge air going thru.

Make sense?

So have we figured out where to get a water to air intercooler? One that will handle 100+ pounds of boost. :bang LOL!

Can't say I've ever seen an engine overheat with no thermostat in it. The thermostat is open once it's at operating temp anyway... :what:

I do however see the theory that moving too much water too quickly could take away some efficiency of the air to water system but is it enough to make a noticeable difference?

Maybe not on a cummins, but do it on a small chevy or whatever that is on the verge of running hot to begin with, and it will definately overheat. Look in your summit catalog you can buy different sized restrictor plates that replace the t-stat for people who dont wana run one.

As for relating to air to water systems i dont personally have that experience but i cant see how it would differ? I do agree with BigYellowIron the size of the intercooler plays a big role as well

Some Of the Caterpillar engines will overheat with no t stat installed. Seen it time and time again.

I wonder how 2 of those coolers from ebay would do if you plumbed the air in paralell rather then series????

Mr twotone
You can have all the cold water you like -if it is goin thru the intercooler too fast, it is not picking up as much latent heat from the core as it would if it was going the correct speed for the size of the core - you can argue till ur blue but the physics of it wont change

All that will happen if your pumping too fast is your gonna send cooler water back to the tank to be circulated again, and again.

i hear ya on the speed of the water yes the same amount of water wont take as much heat but since more is goin through it is collcting more heat from the hot side just because of the mass amount of water i agree 2tone12v

You can have all the cold water you like -if it is goin thru the intercooler too fast, it is not picking up as much latent heat from the core as it would if it was going the correct speed for the size of the core - you can argue till ur blue but the physics of it wont change.

Complete physics fail.

I was waiting for the resident engineer with a brain to pipe up. I knew you could set us straight if we were off course!

I was gonna leave it alone until he said "latent heat" which is just so far away from what we're doing that I just couldn't take it any more.

And secondly he says "it has to be properly sized" when I bet a whole pile of money that he never did a sizing calculation and couldn't come up with one to save his life. He bought what he thought looked good and that's it. The rest of it is smoke and misunderstanding.

As I said - I am doen with this thread - I have better things to do than argue with know it alls

It doesnt take an engineer to understand heat loss and gain and heat retention - it only requires an open mind and the ability to understand what the engineers have written on design and use of an intercooler

Given the non supported sandbox mentality insults provided in this thread, (no substantiated theories of your own to sustain your insults and postulations) , i doubt some of you could/would understand whats been said or offered cuz yur too busy being "right" because some "shop" said so and/or does it

For anyone who wishes to read how to properly use and size an intercooler the internet is full of the necessary info

Here are two of hundreds of very good examples; - to you two or three know it all sandboxers, try arguing with these ;o) although I can hear it already "this is for gassers and isnt applicable to a diesel"

Intercooler Theory

Bell Intercoolers - Technology and FAQs

Doesn't take an engineer, huh? I say it does; the articles you link to, were likely written by engineers, and they make sense.

What's even funnier....the Turbo Regals article you have listed is pretty good, but NOWHERE does it mention anything about latent heat, or flow rate of the heat transfer medium. NOWHERE! Your own articles defeat your argument! LMAO!

You're done with this thread, not because you want to be, but because you have no idea what you're talking about. And just as I told everyone, you don't have one equation yourself to support your claims. Nothing, just a kinda "I know what I'm talking about and you idiots are making fun of me" rant.

I reallly want to see your latent heat calculations. Just put one up, I dare ya.

And just for those of you wondering, there is a whole 'nuther aspect to the flow part of it that isn't being discussed, and is relevant, but it isn't in either of the articles linked above.

And just for those of you wondering, there is a whole 'nuther aspect to the flow part of it that isn't being discussed, and is relevant, but it isn't in either of the articles linked above.

Please explain................

Back