Whos the King?

Then why throw the 3208 in there? We might as well throw in the 8.3 Cummins, dt530, 6-71 Detroit.

Might as well throw in Scania and Iveco and a few other euro diesels while we are at it.

Might as well throw in Scania and Iveco and a few other euro diesels while we are at it.

I was going to say, if we are just throwing any med/hvy diesel engine in the ring, the Scania DC 16 at 740hp is pretty high on my list.

3116 and 3126 are pretty much a pile, even the overbuilt marine versions dont last at even 350 hp.

Perkins had a good one around 6 liters, Ford 6.6 and 7.8 are pretty decent too.

Last edited:
what application? Drag racing, towing, sled pulling, daily driver, everything puts different demands on an engine, that's like asking what the best tire is without knowing what you're driving or where.

^^^^ This would be really useful information

Used to have a '76 F700 water truck with a 3208 Cat in it.. Id di pretty good, had a '72 CAT 225 Excavator with a 3208.. Loud, slow, but it never failed us, easy maintenance, great machine to learn on.. I know every one loves the 5.9l for light trucks.. but the IDI 6.9l and 7.3l did pretty good for their day. and theres still quiet a few running daily

F-it.. cummins 555... at the point of fabrication that will happen it wont hurt to remove the fender wells and reconstruct the K member.

there was tank manufacture north of san fransisco..... in fort brag..... its coming to me (remembering details) but they had a 555 running at 750hp in a tank...

some of our old timers would have to warranty work on the tanks off the assembly line and herd some serious stories.

no god damn it.. it was the cummins 903...

Last edited:
How bout v8 fords popin heads after they get a taste of power tuning??? Or the amount of difficulty it is to throw a new turbo on a dirtymaxx?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

How bout v8 fords popin heads after they get a taste of power tuning??? Or the amount of difficulty it is to throw a new turbo on a dirtymaxx?

Although there is really no rhyme or reason to this thread, I will weigh in and see what I can do....

1st, I don't think the OP was wanting to include newer engines (I'm assuming those with electronic injection systems). 2nd, the Ford diesel V8s from 2003-2010 were just pretty bad all around. 3rd, I don't think I could really hate on a V8 configuration for it being hard to work on, although I will brag on how easy it is to work on an L6. 4th, I really have no idea why I'm even posting because this is about a pointless thread and no one really has any idea what's going on :doh:

??? wtf...ok... lets get vague ....^?, <?, >?, which way do/did we/he go???? Onan?

You have to admit its a more creative way to get to 10 posts than spamming the Intro section. :hehe:

This was made to be simple... general... basic applications.... increased torque is increased torque... same with hp... the only difference is what you apply to the motor, ease of application and how long it will last

If you're going to limit it to 3/4 pickups, the 3208 is out and the only Detroit's are the 6.2 and 6.5 so the 5.9 is the clear winner. Simple

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk