Why does Propane make a engine go boom? Timing

Peak pressure will always be ATDC unless you have a mechanical failure of a cylinder seal. This is because whatever pressure you record at __ degrees BTDC, the piston will still advance closer to the head as it reaches TDC, increasing this pressure. The only other way to have peak pressure BTDC would be if you rapidly cooled the cylinder after some point BTDC with say coolant, or a broken nozzle, or something similar. But for the sake of understanding, just be aware that peak cylinder pressure isn't going to continually occur BTDC on a functioning engine. The variance we are talking about will usually be the different between peaks that occur right at TDC, vs occuring at or beyond 5 to 10 or more degrees ATDC. And in terms of engine stress, the shape and onset of that pressure. Even the exact same maximum cylinder pressure value can be achieved in such a way with proper tuning that results in long component life when compared to having produced that same pressure, but in such a way that approaching TDC the pressure is reached VERY quickly, almost instantly as the fuel source detonates. The difference is akin to placing your shoe on the top of an empty coke can and pressing down slowly, and uniformly until you are applying 100lbs of force to that can, vs merely taking a 100lb plate and holding it in a fixture where it is barely touching the top of the can, and then releasing it onto the can. Even though the force will be 100lbs, the timeframe in which it was delivered makes all the difference. So even speaking in terms of maximum cylinder pressure isn't even addressing the route cause of engine failure, which is shock loading, and really anything that isn't smooth and uniform that results in forces acting within timeframes that exceed the mechanical strength of any components in such a way that the service life is drastically cut short, if not immediately in some cases.

That depends on the injection duration and engine rpm. Obviously longer durations and higher rpm will extend the crank angle over which the injection window takes place. If you say a timing advance of 15 degrees, injection delay of say, .5ms, and in injection duration of 2ms at 1656rpm (chosen for round numbers), you'd have an injection window that started at 10 degrees BTDC, lasting 20 degrees and ending at 10 degrees ATDC. That might represent a cruising situation. It's just an example, I didn't know if that's what you were looking for.

Say, ~5 degrees BTDC, with the spike hitting right at or slightly ATDC. That should be in the ballpark, although I haven't spent much time looking at part throttle cylinder pressures, so I can't say for sure.

This is what i was wondering. Because from what i read is propane accelerates the burn-but it burns longer down the stroke????? WTF. Anyways lets say it accelerates then burn and if what you said here is correct and the "pocket" of fuel begins to flash at 5* BTDC then if there is propane in there and it all begins to flash at the same time that may not be to big of a problem because its so close to TDC. Now lets say i am running a high performance engine with 25* timing and my fuel begins to flash at 15* BTDC I will lose efficiency and raise cyl pressures. Goes back to fuel efficiency being a good indicator of stress. If your doing the same work with less fuel it seems that there would be less stress on the motor.

I am confused on if propane accelerates the burn or slows it because I think that is key to the whole argument here. If it accelerates it like your saying and the burn begins at 5* BTDC and then it is done say 10* sooner than diesel alone would have. This would mean more internal stress because you made X power in less time spread. Ok that makes since.

Lets say it is in fact burning slower. This would be great because it spreads out the stress over more time and would increase engine life. But without any in cylinder data we cannot be sure about what is happening inside the cylinder.

I do know one FACT and that is it increases the efficiency beyond just the extra BTU’s. Some if not most of the increase beyond added BTUs may be due to an advanced timing effect. But-we advance timing all the time on our engines without causing any problems when done properly. I am saying that many propane failures could simply be due to basically over timing the motor. Take a stock engine for example. We safely increase timing by 5* and increase mileage by 10%. That’s great now say we inject propane into a stock motor with stock timing. It essentially has the same effect increasing timing by 5*. Now lets put them both together and the timing is raised by ten degrees and suddenly we have an over timed motor. Not to mention that the chip is dumping more fuel than stock which causes that “pool” of fuel to get bigger sooner. This could easily account for most engine failures because for some reason I only hear about failures on at high performance trucks which were running at minimum a chip (increased timing) and propane. I have not heard of any failures when running propane on a STOCK TIMED truck.

The company that makes the kit I run put propane injection on a stock engine and doubled the engine HP. I’m not saying they advocate that but it is possible. This engine should have blown up if propane causes that much extra stress. You were saying before that it causes as much stress as adding 3X the power on diesel only. So this engine made lets say 300hp stock 600hp on propane which is a 300hp increase which according to you was equivalent to a 900 hp increase which equals 1200hp from a 300 hp engine. That is pretty good for stock internals.

This is assuming the engine was properly timed to begin with. For instance, most people will pick up response and mileage by advancing their stock timing a bit, because that timing might not have been set specifically for maximum combustion efficiency by the OEM for various reasons, emissions often being the culprit here. In such a case (as if often found) a quicker burning fuel will be advantageous. And yes, state of tune and intended engine usage/rpm operating range directly effects whether or not cetane increases/decreases will be of benefit for the reasons you outlined above.

As above, in most cases, increasing timing over a stock calibration nets positive results, which is effectively what is occuring with the propane in many cases. Reading this paragraph I think by the end of it you have come to the same conclusion.

I was speaking in terms of WOT, where diesel fuel delivery would be constant, and the only variable would be with or without propane. In this case the addition of the propane decreased tailpipe smoke considerably, leading me to believe the burn must have occured quicker, started earlier or both.

What your saying could be right or...why couldn't have burnt more uniformly. A typical diesel engine has a lot of hot spots and cool spots. As the piston goes down cylinder temps become too cold to burn these cold spots then the cold spots of fuel exit the tailpipe as black smoke. But add propane (a flammable gas that evenly fills the cylinder) it makes the entire contents of the cylinder burn not just the hot spots. This not only reduces black smoke but increases efficiency. This makes a lot of since because with propane injection you get an increase in mileage from less BTU’s.

according to the guys at Performance Diesel ... there is no net gain in mileage after BTU from propane is subtracted. however there is a performance increase with cleaner burn.

if one can purchase propane in bulk (min 125 gal) at say $2 gal or less. then one can reap some real cost saving over diesel.

there is NO costs saving when purchasing propane in smaller qualities.
cheapest propane per gal is $2.89 after extensive shopping, found at one RV outlet, most were $3.25 gal. vs $2.59 gal for diesel in tulsa.

What your saying could be right or...why couldn't have burnt more uniformly. A typical diesel engine has a lot of hot spots and cool spots. As the piston goes down cylinder temps become too cold to burn these cold spots then the cold spots of fuel exit the tailpipe as black smoke. But add propane (a flammable gas that evenly fills the cylinder) it makes the entire contents of the cylinder burn not just the hot spots. This not only reduces black smoke but increases efficiency. This makes a lot of since because with propane injection you get an increase in mileage from less BTU’s.

manifold pressure x compression ratio = X x 4.79 = air temp after compression

14.7psi x 16.7 = 245.49 x 4.79 = 1,169F

At 15:1 CR you have 1056*F at TDC

At 13:1 CR you have 915*F at TDC

This is at idle, under no boost at sea level.

At 16.3cr and 7psi positive manivold pressure (on the gauge) = 1694*F at TDC

Thats 9.63*F per rotational degree of the crank, so at 90.54* BTDC you have the 842*F needed to autoigninte propane.

I was thing of this nifty little equation last night and decided to run some numbers. Let say I have a truck running 80lbs boost at 15 to 1 compression

The equation would go like this:

94.7 X 15 = 1420 X 4.79 = 6801 degrees

This is rather impressive for any length of time on an aluminum piston that will melt at 1220 degrees. That is 37.8 degrees for 1 degree of crank rotation. So 1220/37.8= 32.27. At 32 degrees after BDC we are at the melting point for aluminum. Also, the air is going to cool from 6800 degrees down to 2000 degrees in a split second when it hits the exhaust.

Lets say a tractor puller is running 200 pounds of boost at 11 to 1…10,538 degrees.

Did i miss anything?

Apparently, I also see 4 gasses that combined make up 2.6 parts per million of 0.002% of the atmosphere. Also, I never said that they don't combust in the cylinder.

I was thing of this nifty little equation last night and decided to run some numbers. Let say I have a truck running 80lbs boost at 15 to 1 compression

The equation would go like this:

94.7 X 15 = 1420 X 4.79 = 6801 degrees

This is rather impressive for any length of time on an aluminum piston that will melt at 1220 degrees. That is 37.8 degrees for 1 degree of crank rotation. So 1220/37.8= 32.27. At 32 degrees after BDC we are at the melting point for aluminum. Also, the air is going to cool from 6800 degrees down to 2000 degrees in a split second when it hits the exhaust.

Lets say a tractor puller is running 200 pounds of boost at 11 to 1…10,538 degrees.

You do realize that equation was accounting for 70*F pre compression? So the 200 psi example is not near close to actuality.

And, the 1220 melting point is very true. Thank god we have oil squirters, thick pistons, and that whole heat transfer thing. Having the piston's contact time with those extreme temperatures measured in milliseconds doesn't give much time to for the pistons to absorb the heat.

Still on this LEL, you are throwing out the 2.2% figure. This is still figured at 14.7psi and 70*F. At YOUR 7psi starting point we are at 24.06 times the pressure and 24.2 times the temperature you listed. Seems the LEL would be pretty damn low at that point.

We haven't even touched on the piss poor air distribution of a factory intake that is delivering this propane.

Apparently, I also see 4 gasses that combined make up 2.6 parts per million of 0.002% of the atmosphere. Also, I never said that they don't combust in the cylinder.

They will combust but not preignite.

You do realize that equation was accounting for 70*F pre compression? So the 200 psi example is not near close to actuality.

Then what would be? I never saw any way to vary the temperature in that equation, so how would i do so?

And, the 1220 melting point is very true. Thank god we have oil squirters, thick pistons, and that whole heat transfer thing. Having the piston's contact time with those extreme temperatures measured in milliseconds doesn't give much time to for the pistons to absorb the heat.

Heat transfer you realize that mean lots of heat will transfer out of the air onto the piston. Seems difficult to cool the cylinder at high boost and 5,000 degrees. At 4X the melting temp of aluminum you better not be there for long (and make sure you said your prayers).

Here maybe this will help you put things into perspective a little bit. Gas engine at 9 to 1 compression, running at idle and zero boost.

9 X 14.7 = 117.6 X 4.79 = 633 degrees

Lets see gasoline ranges from 475-525 auto ignition. How do gasoline engines run? I hope to god nobody puts a turbo on there gas engine. I think we need a revised equation.

Still on this LEL, you are throwing out the 2.2% figure. This is still figured at 14.7psi and 70*F. At YOUR 7psi starting point we are at 24.06 times the pressure and 24.2 times the temperature you listed. Seems the LEL would be pretty damn low at that point.

How low? Pretty damn low is not a very good calculation. I dont think my college math teacher would have excepted that.

We haven't even touched on the piss poor air distribution of a factory intake that is delivering this propane.

WTF does that have to do with it. I send GAS propane through a turbo that has a wheel spinning at 100,000 RPM. Then through the intercooler pipes and an intercooler. It will be evenly mixed by the time it hits the manifold, so i don’t care if your cylinder takes in twice as much air as the others it took in equal ppm of propane relative to air.

1. combust......ignite.......have the same definition

2. 4.79 is the temperature variable, I cant find the formula for it at the moment

3. Seriously? So we are just gonna melt the pistons at idle on everything?

4. gasoline has a highly variable autoignition point

5. Pretty damn low. Until you did up the calculations on how pressure and temp affect the LEL of propane thats all we have. Your teacher's opinion doesnt concern me.

6. Your inducing that proportional mixure of propane and air unevenly into the cylinders.

And with that Im done with this discussion.

Get some cylinder pressure test equipment and get back to us with the results.

1. combust......ignite.......have the same definition

I said it combusts not preignites. These are not hardly the same thing.

2. 4.79 is the temperature variable, I cant find the formula for it at the moment

Ok, well that would be nice if you could.

3. Seriously? So we are just gonna melt the pistons at idle on everything?

According to your formula. I am trying to be logical.

4. gasoline has a highly variable autoignition point

Wow maybe 75 degrees. Or maybe 15%. Gasoline is not really that variable when according to your formula we are 25% or more past the preignition point.

5. Pretty damn low. Until you did up the calculations on how pressure and temp affect the LEL of propane thats all we have. Your teacher's opinion doesnt concern me.

"Pretty damn low" you’re really proving a point by saying this except why does the 4 explosive gases in the atmosphere not keep the engine running? PLEASE CONVERT PRETTY DAMN LOW INTO NUMBERS. I do wish math were as simple as pretty damn low or pretty damn high.

6. Your inducing that proportional mixure of propane and air unevenly into the cylinders.

I already explained this air and propane are thoroughly mixed so it does not matter which cylinder gets more air/propane...they are homogenous. AKA same air to fuel ratio.

And with that Im done with this discussion.

Get some cylinder pressure test equipment and get back to us with the results.

I already said i would bring an engine to someone if they have cylinder pressure equipment to do some testing. Unfortunately i do not have an unlimited bank account.

not blazing new trails

Best reason I've heard yet to avoid blazing new trails of experimental propane use in a CI engine...

Propane is hardly experimental on a CI engine they have been using it for years and not blowing them up.
James

we have a few truck around me that run on propane. propane use to be cheaper than gas it was the thing to do.

if there is no net gain in efficiency..... propane has to be cheaper than diesel to realize fuel savings.

we have a few truck around me that run on propane. propane use to be cheaper than gas it was the thing to do.

No, not a poor attitude - just basic wisdom... now that's an important part of American history.

"I already said i would bring an engine to someone if they have cylinder pressure equipment to do some testing."

Sure sounds like experimental propane use to me! :hehe:

I never said it wasn't experimental. I said I want to experiment and made a statement about how experimenting is how you learn new things-not by sitting and doing nothing. To my knowledge nobody has taken the time to actually run cylinder pressure data and play with the timing on a diesel engine to get it to run better-with lower pressure. If someone has done this already then I will stop wasting my time.

Let me just throw this out there too. How do you use methanol injection on a CI engine? Maybe I should start a new thread to ask them how they do it without blowing there motor up. Shouldn't it do about the same thing as propane? I just has a higher LEL...the auto ignition is similar to propane.

What do you guys think companies like Sheild, Banks, Hypermax, and Diesel Innovations, ECT do? They experiment. Look at Diesel Innovations: how do you innovate-by experimenting? Experiments are good not bad.

if there is no net gain in efficiency..... propane has to be cheaper than diesel to realize fuel savings.

There is a net gain in efficiency too. How do you think it reduces particulates by 50% and lowers EGTs?

I never said it wasn't experimental. I said I want to experiment and made a statement about how experimenting is how you learn new things-not by sitting and doing nothing. To my knowledge nobody has taken the time to actually run cylinder pressure data and play with the timing on a diesel engine to get it to run better-with lower pressure. If someone has done this already then I will stop wasting my time.

Let me just throw this out there too. How do you use methanol injection on a CI engine? Maybe I should start a new thread to ask them how they do it without blowing there motor up. Shouldn't it do about the same thing as propane? I just has a higher LEL...the auto ignition is similar to propane.

What do you guys think companies like Sheild, Banks, Hypermax, and Diesel Innovations, ECT do? They experiment. Look at Diesel Innovations: how do you innovate-by experimenting? Experiments are good not bad.

Good point with the Methanol. And yes, they pop engines just the same. There's nothing special about methanol in a compression ignition engine either, it's just as untimed. Go ride in a truck running a good mix of it and tell me you can't hear it. Sounds just like injection timing advance. And it coincidentally blows gaskets/bends rods just the same too. And the most important thing, is that such failures are occuring hundreds and hundreds of hp shy of where these same failure points occur fuel only.

according to the guys at Performance Diesel ... there is no net gain in mileage after BTU from propane is subtracted. however there is a performance increase with cleaner burn.

if one can purchase propane in bulk (min 125 gal) at say $2 gal or less. then one can reap some real cost saving over diesel.

currently there is NO costs saving when purchasing propane in smaller qualities.

claims for propane varies wildly... it's akin to selling snake oil.
for instance Bully Dog claims a min of 20% increase in mileage. but they don't bother to mention if that mileage increase is net after subtracting propane or raw mileage with both fuels combined.

Performance Diesel Propane claims small amount of liquid propane getting into engine does no damage. I don't buy it..... liquid propane is 270x richer than vapor.

Bully Dog with it's single stage propane valve .... claims delivery of propane varies with amount of vacuum generated by air flow. I don't buy it.... if it varies, it's not by much. resulting in essentially same propane delivered at 7lbs boost and at 25lb boost. mixture will be leaner at higher boost.

so far in this thread..... I'm the only one worried about what happens when liquid propane is delivered directly into intake. there's been instances of this happening to where liquid propane pools up in intake. this results in 270x increase in propane delivered into engine.

I don't buy this doesn't hurt the engine... all current Bully Dog units uses engine coolant to vaporize any liquid going forward.

again... claims varies wildly... it's enough to put me off installing propane and I've got a Bully Dog system with tank sitting right here.

there is NO way I'm risking damaging my ultra low mileage 12v by installing propane. especially when other options to achieve better mileage/HP are available that carries little to no risk of hurting my engine.

There is a net gain in efficiency too. How do you think it reduces particulates by 50% and lowers EGTs?

Last edited:
Back