Why no "street" compounds with the primary out front?

I plan on copying this setup for my "street" truck. I like the short hotpipe, and easy downpipe routing...

February 2013 Torque: 1,000hp Cummins - Diesel Power Magazine

getimage.aspx

I'm in the (slow) process of building something similar. GTX3076R and a GTX4202R, 3076 mounted reverse on a standard Steed manifold, turbo support for the 4202 will be mounted on the manifold. Compressor cover will slide in just behind the alternator. But I'm still gonna lose my passenger battery. I have thought about putting a A/W intercooler in the extra space I'm gonna have.

It really does make more sense to build it the traditional way, but if you don't have a battery and want to show off the turbos, something like Cliff's would be the best way to go. Get both of them in full view.

I built mine like this too.
IMG_0207_zps78e7e345.jpg

I love having the primary up in view, pop the hood and instantly people are like holy crap thats a big turboLOL

Watching this since my secondary is showing up tomorrow and my plan is to do side by side twins

I built a set for my 72 with the primary out front, I think they came out good & look cool. This was the only way I could figure out to get everything to fit also. I could send a pic to someone if they could post it up, dont know how to do that yet.

I built mine like this too.
IMG_0207_zps78e7e345.jpg

I love having the primary up in view, pop the hood and instantly people are like holy crap thats a big turboLOL

I feel the same way about mine, even though it's not the same setup as what you're all talking about.

IMG_0425.jpg

Almost done setting mine up with the primary off to the side out/front. Just couldn't fit the primary compressor between stainless diesel manifold and the shock tower

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
I built a set for my 72 with the primary out front, I think they came out good & look cool. This was the only way I could figure out to get everything to fit also. I could send a pic to someone if they could post it up, dont know how to do that yet.

This is a '72 chevy I did a few years ago:

1220101357.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of Jepling's setup from a few years back. Not sure if he's still running this setup, but i always loved the look of the primary out front and exposed like that

jepling.jpg

jepling2.jpg

So just curious, as I am thinking about building some for my truck, which has never had a battery on the passenger side since I swapped the 12v in.

Why do you never see a compound setup (except on the very few competition trucks I've seen with hoods up) where the primary is out front by the passenger battery box instead of packed underneath?

I was thinking I'd flip my exhaust manifold, turn the 62/14 exhaust housing forward, and then hang a 475 or 480 compressor forward in the (unused) battery box area on the passenger side. I get to keep my water/oil trans cooler, have a really short hot pipe, and something different.

Before I head down that road, since I have NEVER seen that on a street truck and only a few competition trucks (that I have had the good fortune to spy under the hood of). Thoughts?

Carl's (turbolvr) primary mount places the primary in the traditional spot and allows you to keep the heat exchanger...

LOL it was the fender or the hood and its easier to swing down than up.

Best post I've read this week LOL

Any pics of your primary mount?
I'm curious about doing this style of setup with my next set of twins, but I'm concerned with the longevity of the primary mount

I would also like to see the mounting bracket / supports.. I would think it would be best attached to the engine vs the frame. to keep flexing etc unless the hot pipe has a flex bellows in it etc...
Thanks,
Deo

Best post I've read this week LOL

Any pics of your primary mount?
I'm curious about doing this style of setup with my next set of twins, but I'm concerned with the longevity of the primary mount

Mine is supported by the hotpipe. Which is mounted to the engine by the trancooler.

mine is to frame (shock tower bolts) with a bellows, hope it holds up

Carl's (turbolvr) primary mount places the primary in the traditional spot and allows you to keep the heat exchanger...

With a t6 s400 and steed straight flange moving primary down a bit? I messaged him.