2.6 Drivetrain Issues (pullers chime in)

I broke one on the first hook out that was setup like the factory said to. Bought a case spreader to put the next one in and haven't had an other problem so far this year.
kjpcummins I think backlash is your problem. I set mine up a little looser then they say to keep oil on the teeth. Zero or very little backlash cause the gear to heat up on load which would lead to cracked teeth.

I broke one on the first hook out that was setup like the factory said to. Bought a case spreader to put the next one in and haven't had an other problem so far this year.
kjpcummins I think backlash is your problem. I set mine up a little looser then they say to keep oil on the teeth. Zero or very little backlash cause the gear to heat up on load which would lead to cracked teeth.

Imo 15 hooks out of a 5.13 is better than i expected. Heat didnt crack the teeth. The loading and unloading from dot tires and loose backlash cracked the teeth. When set at .000 backlash i only broke 1/4 of the teeth on the ring gear and the rest looked perfect with no cracks. Ive talked to the gas guys and they said stop screwing around. Get a rockwell like they did years ago and their class makes a fair bit less hp than 2.6 trucks make.

Hell yeah open driveline 2.6. Let the rest of the 3.0 boys drop down with us. Then we will be back to the start of diesel pulling with one class. RWYB anything goes. Haha.

Honestly i dont care what the 2.6 class does i dont plan on being in it any longer that i need to. Also dont want to jump to open drivline and just make a bit more power than a 2.6 truck running a 3.0 turbo. The classes are way to close in power imo.

So your saying you are smarter than the Dana engineers? Lol

Do you set them up with the gears set deeper for no backlash? Full teeth contact?

If so that's fine I just want to see out of all the gears broke, how were they set up. If a class is influenced by this thread subject then I just want to make sure it's based on intelligent and competent Info. I don't want some guy say he broke ten sets and come to find out he used the same shims it had before and didn't check anything. And no I'm no expert on settin up gears. It sucks in my opinion. It's a repetitive pain in the butt job.

I worked at Dana.. along side some of the engineers... most wern't that smart.. lmao

We mad gearsets for all the heavy axle and off road equipment... Kinda hard to wegde that stuff in a D80 housing.. trust me i tried.... :badidea:

Got 2 seasons out of 410s before broke the teeth off the ring gear 3 weeks ago id say 40 hooks on that or more.

zstroken I cant PM not enough posts rear end needs to be out. I might be able to do it in some trucks. Time is money and will take longer for sure. If it is out of the truck $650 if that is all I do.

d80 5.13's lasted 30 hooks, contact pattern and preload is everything!! You can't bottom teeth out, they'll break every time! PINION DEpth and lash

Hell yeah open driveline 2.6. Let the rest of the 3.0 boys drop down with us. Then we will be back to the start of diesel pulling with one class. RWYB anything goes. Haha.

No... the 2.6 class should be an 800 and below HP class and 3.0 should be that plus. If you are above that power level and still in 2.6 you need to move up.

8 hooks, broke an SCS 35 spline axle. Changed out to 37 spline setup and lash is set at .005"

Last edited:
No... the 2.6 class should be an 800 and below HP class and 3.0 should be that plus. If you are above that power level and still in 2.6 you need to move up.

Actually I was being sarcastic as I'm not a 2.6 class fan. I tried to get out and go 2.8 and was forced back into it.

So because I am above 800, I should move up to 3.0 class? I dont think so, this truck pulling, not kiddy pedal pulling where everyone gets ribbon. Sorry if its not fair to the low buck guy. Life isnt fair. Those who have built their trucks to run at the top of one class should not be punished and forced into the next class because some are sucking hind tit.

So because I am above 800, I should move up to 3.0 class? I dont think so, this truck pulling, not kiddy pedal pulling where everyone gets ribbon. Sorry if its not fair to the low buck guy. Life isnt fair. Those who have built their trucks to run at the top of one class should not be punished and forced into the next class because some are sucking hind tit.

It would make me look a lot better if you would go 3.0 since your over 800 hp. I might actually be able to win a pull and Bragg to my buddies. So jump up like you should.

Seriously? My daily driver is almost 775+ at the rear wheels. Most competative 3.0 trucks are making 1350-1400+. Most work stock or 2.5 classes have trucks in the 650-800hp rwhp range, 2.6 is 1000-1200 crank hp and 3.0 1350-1400+ crank hp. SS are 1800-2000+.

I don't know if he means you should move up, thinking that this shouldn't be a class where driveline breakage is a common occurrence.

Look at the reasons that 2.8 died, I see alot of similarities.

Back