Ram50

Seen the YouTube video's pop on my feed this morning. Sounds good and i did the nice fire at night.

Read it even if ya don't know how (safety)!!@!@!@!

Hello all,

Thought I'd give an update after a week or so. I had a few weeks off and decided to make some suspension changes along with getting the new body mounted. We dropped a gear off the B&J and had Scott Law build us a straight drive NP208. Somewhere along the way I managed to install the B&J sprag in backwards so the first test & tune failed miserably. She wouldn't pull in low gear and she killed the engine in high gear. Thanks go out to all the young boys that showed up to lend a hand and I apologize for my ignorance. At least we put a lot of beer away. lol

A day long fight with the B&J (again my ignorance) and some fab work on the u-joint guards ran into a late Sunday evening Test and Tune.

Here the boy is circulating the fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4A4MYexEc

Craig makes a couple attempts to heat up the slicks to the point they will bite. I think we need to get this thing on the scales and do some pre-loading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUnSFJDj0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztg2BMAWV-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDFDpmOCyaI

Now this last video doesn't reveal much other than the launch and the beginning of a wide open run-away. Yep that's right. Craig was to lift just as the end of the concrete came up but as the video shows, that sum biatch was on full power long after he went out of sight. And wouldn't luck have it that the rack decides to stick at WOT???? He missed my nephews razor by fractions of an inch and managed to spin the thing around in the yard just about 3 feet away from our chicken coup. From where we were, once he went around the end of the race trailer, he was out of sight and all I could here was the 5.9 screaming and all I could see was a ton of dust. I immediately got it in my head that the boy was on his top in the middle of our garden. When I rounded the race trailer he was actually setting on 4 wheels on the ground holding the brakes and the clutch with everything he had while the slicks were beginning to roll some serious smoke and his left hand was pulling on the manual fuel kill. The first thought was to run over and get him out of the heap, but, he couldn't let go the clutch so I reached in began pushing with everything I had on the fuel kill. By some miracle of God, the thing started slowing down and eventually quit. There was our brand new S480 along with the new hood stack glowing a bright orange with the sounds of a hot pan of bacon frying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFOoNRtOhw

I know what most of ya are thinking right about now 'cause I used to have the same ignorance. Let me tell ya first hand, a run away like this is very, very dramatic. Lets forget the piles upon piles of money thrown at this thing and the countless hours upon hours of work to get it where it is, lets focus on my only son setting in a run away knowing if he let the clutch go things are only going to get worse. Thank God this heap decided to shut down. Why it shut down is beyond me 'cause after talking with our pump man, the fuel kill wasn't doing nothing.

Now I can guarantee one thing right here and now that you can absolutely bank on, we will be reinstalling our air kill and it will be used on every single pass we make. I don't care if it takes ten minutes to get the thing fired back up and out of the way, that air kill will be pulled on every pass!!!!!! Why?????? For the ones who haven't seen this little girl get with it in person, she's a monster. Now just try to imagine the same run away happening at the end of the one of mud runs we've done in the past. You would have maybe a .1th of a second to realize the problem and by then the crash would just be starting!!! Remember, we are now running a weighted clutch in front of a pretty much neutraless B&J. When that engine gets around 5000rpms, you can forget dis engaging the clutch. I can only thank the man above that this happened like it did and damage was minimal.

I took, yet again, another day off work and ran the pump and injectors to Mountaineer Diesel. I can't thank Dale Burns enough for what he has done for this effort. His shop is full of work and he takes to time to have the 'Master' Rich test my injectors and find the problem with the pump. At this time, it appears the #1 plunger over pressured and mush roomed the base.

Reasoning to follow, if I can find one???? By the way, The Transfer mud races are a no go!!!

Boy, its always something with this thing!! Glad it worked out with no one getting hurt and no major mechanical catastrophes either!

Hello all,

Thought I'd give an update after a week or so. I had a few weeks off and decided to make some suspension changes along with getting the new body mounted. We dropped a gear off the B&J and had Scott Law build us a straight drive NP208. Somewhere along the way I managed to install the B&J sprag in backwards so the first test & tune failed miserably. She wouldn't pull in low gear and she killed the engine in high gear. Thanks go out to all the young boys that showed up to lend a hand and I apologize for my ignorance. At least we put a lot of beer away. lol

A day long fight with the B&J (again my ignorance) and some fab work on the u-joint guards ran into a late Sunday evening Test and Tune.

Here the boy is circulating the fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4A4MYexEc

Craig makes a couple attempts to heat up the slicks to the point they will bite. I think we need to get this thing on the scales and do some pre-loading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUnSFJDj0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztg2BMAWV-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDFDpmOCyaI

Now this last video doesn't reveal much other than the launch and the beginning of a wide open run-away. Yep that's right. Craig was to lift just as the end of the concrete came up but as the video shows, that sum biatch was on full power long after he went out of sight. And wouldn't luck have it that the rack decides to stick at WOT???? He missed my nephews razor by fractions of an inch and managed to spin the thing around in the yard just about 3 feet away from our chicken coup. From where we were, once he went around the end of the race trailer, he was out of sight and all I could here was the 5.9 screaming and all I could see was a ton of dust. I immediately got it in my head that the boy was on his top in the middle of our garden. When I rounded the race trailer he was actually setting on 4 wheels on the ground holding the brakes and the clutch with everything he had while the slicks were beginning to roll some serious smoke and his left hand was pulling on the manual fuel kill. The first thought was to run over and get him out of the heap, but, he couldn't let go the clutch so I reached in began pushing with everything I had on the fuel kill. By some miracle of God, the thing started slowing down and eventually quit. There was our brand new S480 along with the new hood stack glowing a bright orange with the sounds of a hot pan of bacon frying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFOoNRtOhw

I know what most of ya are thinking right about now 'cause I used to have the same ignorance. Let me tell ya first hand, a run away like this is very, very dramatic. Lets forget the piles upon piles of money thrown at this thing and the countless hours upon hours of work to get it where it is, lets focus on my only son setting in a run away knowing if he let the clutch go things are only going to get worse. Thank God this heap decided to shut down. Why it shut down is beyond me 'cause after talking with our pump man, the fuel kill wasn't doing nothing.

Now I can guarantee one thing right here and now that you can absolutely bank on, we will be reinstalling our air kill and it will be used on every single pass we make. I don't care if it takes ten minutes to get the thing fired back up and out of the way, that air kill will be pulled on every pass!!!!!! Why?????? For the ones who haven't seen this little girl get with it in person, she's a monster. Now just try to imagine the same run away happening at the end of the one of mud runs we've done in the past. You would have maybe a .1th of a second to realize the problem and by then the crash would just be starting!!! Remember, we are now running a weighted clutch in front of a pretty much neutraless B&J. When that engine gets around 5000rpms, you can forget dis engaging the clutch. I can only thank the man above that this happened like it did and damage was minimal.

I took, yet again, another day off work and ran the pump and injectors to Mountaineer Diesel. I can't thank Dale Burns enough for what he has done for this effort. His shop is full of work and he takes to time to have the 'Master' Rich test my injectors and find the problem with the pump. At this time, it appears the #1 plunger over pressured and mush roomed the base.

Reasoning to follow, if I can find one???? By the way, The Transfer mud races are a no go!!!

That's crazy scary. I had the governor "hang" at 3,00rpm-ish on my 89 once, and had to drive it home like that (again, as you put it...my ignorance), and that was bad enough. I always had the comfort that the 14mm pump on mine would seize pretty darn quick in a runaway, but I've always thought about an air shutoff...I'll probably do the smart thing and put one on now.

Holy Cow... A stuck rack at WOT is scary enough, having your son in the drivers seat brings it to a whole new level as a father! Glad he is ok.

Just seen the write up after my post. Glad you got the thing settled down after it took off.

A PASS will be hard on things if you use it consistently. You would be wiser to be using a pair of normally closed solenoids. take away the power (big red button) and they slam shut and can't be sucked through.

Man I'm glad everyone is ok!! Sticking a rack is not a fun experience, I'll give it to you guys though... not matter what happens your never afraid to crawl right back one the horse, I can't say I would like you all do.. :Cheer:

Where i work there are PASS (Positive Air Shut Off Systems) everywhere. SAGD has an inherent risk of H2S gas release. But if you have an engine running at full tits and you blade off the air, it's going to go start making some serious vacuum in a hurry. The leading theory I keep hearing is that it's pulling oil and fuel into wherever it can and it doesn't like it. And you are still pumping full fuel into it while it's doing so. There is a chance that you could hydrolock your cylinders depending how many revolutions it took to stop the engine against a vacuum. Some people have even said that you can spin you turbo bearings dry with all that vac right there, but i personally don't think so.

If you had one or two deadman solenoids that are not able to be drawn through with negative pressure (paralleled if you need the volume through them), the rack would be at full volume, but go through its capacity in the lines in a hurry especially if the solenoids were up on the firewall. now the engine is just free spinning with no resistance and there is still plenty of oil going around to keep things happy while it spins down. while the pump might not like it so much, i can't see a whole bunch going wrong. there will always be some fuel in there that didn't make enough pressure for cracking and keep the internal sliding parts somewhat happy while it winds down.

This is all from my experience in heavy equipment, and personal feelings. I am sure there are others who have a much better understanding of the mechanical pumps and can give better light onto my theory.

Hey Nootch,

I was thinking in your previous post you were suggesting shutting down the fuel supply. We talked with some folks about a manual shut off valve positioned just before the fuel entered the pump. This would eventually shut the thing down. What others and myself sorta don't know is just how long the thing will make some dangerous power before deciding to calm down.

Seems as though everyone I've spoken with says to go with the air kill. Lord forbid we explode a turbocharger about the same time the rack decides to stick!!!! With the way we have been destroying turbo chargers, an air kill would have no effect on shutting the engine down.

I spoke with one of my good friends who used to run a blown alcohol set up. He said that the fuel kill was the only way to shut the mechanically injected engine off. I know at the mud races you can sorta tell the blown rides are leaning out just before shutdown as they stop the fuel flow.

I'd like to know just how long the 'ol 5.9 would go with the fuel killed just before the pump. We may have to do some testing to see if it will shut down quick enough.

I had the governor "hang" at 3,00rpm-ish on my 89 once, and had to drive it home like that
lol, my imagination is conjuring up all kinds of bad in this scenario. lol

Last edited:
That all depends on how far the shut off is from the pump. if you are shutting off at the back of the tank, then you have to run the lines down and then it will starve out. If its within 8" of the pump, then you are much quicker. Nothing says you can't use an air blade shut off, but your long story mentioned you using it EVERY run. thats a lot of abuse in the name of safety. The old mechanicals have internal fuel shut off as a means of stopping anyways, you are merely making a second stop ahead of it that is failsafe. in one switch you could have the fuel solenoid and lift pump shut down, and keep the blade as an last ditch effort.

The time also is dependant on the load. a free revving engine may last 10 seconds before its fully empty, loaded might only take 1. Getting on the brakes in drive either way will help out.

No way I would shut fuel supply off to the pump unless it was emergency pump runoff only...I'm sure dale will tell you the same thing. Also, not sure that I would want my air kill pulled on every pass either. But I would have an air kill on the truck in the chance of this situation happening again. I have a cable attached to my shifter so if it runs off its right there to shut off.

If you're going to shut off air on every pass, (and I don't think it's a bad idea btw,) consider running the shutoff between the turbo and engine, along with a BOV to limit the pressure spike. It's essentially the same set up as you'd find on almost any turbocharged gasser, and would be friendlier to the turbo than the typical pre-turbo deal.

If you're going to shut off air on every pass, (and I don't think it's a bad idea btw,) consider running the shutoff between the turbo and engine, along with a BOV to limit the pressure spike. It's essentially the same set up as you'd find on almost any turbocharged gasser, and would be friendlier to the turbo than the typical pre-turbo deal.

I have to tell ya I'm liking this idea. Even if we scatter a turbocharger, we would still be able to kill the air to the engine.

I only took a few minutes on google and didn't have much luck. I need to get to work so I'll do a better search this evening.

Thanks Mr. Mayo

I hate to start throwing rocks right away, but say we operate near 100psi of boost. My first knee jerk concern is the seal between the butterfly shaft and the housing?????????

Last edited:
this would be the one to use then. most every CAT piece up here runs one. comes with an auto rev function. set the rpm and if it reads it, it trips automatically. plus manual pull. and its design is lock on close, so it can't suck itself open.

Shocker PASS

this would be the one to use then. most every CAT piece up here runs one. comes with an auto rev function. set the rpm and if it reads it, it trips automatically. plus manual pull. and its design is lock on close, so it can't suck itself open.

Shocker PASS

That looks like a few weeks salary lol. But I think I'd still swing for it in a mud/dirt truck especially when some tracks have a 20' shutdown area lol.

IMO, I would run the big red button to kill the solenoid and lift pump, and save an air shutoff for very last resort (say engine oil runaways or something), just to save some abuse on everything.

That looks like a few weeks salary lol. But I think I'd still swing for it in a mud/dirt truck especially when some tracks have a 20' shutdown area lol.

componentized, it's not that bad. The company is a small time guy who found a niche. Rural town mechanics shop that seen a need type thing. I am sure if you pitched them, they would give a hell of a deal. First hand, these things make the Roda-Deaco look like fisher-price.

Are you running lube in your fuel?

We throw in some Klotz synthetic with every 5 gallon or so.

Thanks Nootch on the Socker Pass deal. Just finished ordering a fully manual 4". ...still not quite sure it will hold the boost pressures but it is the closest product I've seen.

Now we just need to properly size a blow off valve?????? What are your all's thoughts???

Back