Ram50

BOV Concurence

Here's what we have plumbed up.

Cab%20Plumbing_zpspswkq2ot.jpg

If I plumb from the intake side of the air shut-off to the top of the BOV and leave the bottom of the BOV open to atmosphere, the BOV should work properly correct?? Keep in mind, the only time I wont the BOV to go off is when we hit the air shut off.

I should also add, I installed both springs and it takes 20psi to lift the BOV.

Last edited:
if the pressure to top of BOV line is plumbed after the PASS and before the intake, you should never have the BOV open under normal circumstances.

under that, if the PASS is activated, the pressure is lost, the 20 psi springs and whatever vaccuum now on the BOV line will be the only thing holding it in place. For the first little while, i would put some talcum or chalk powder around the BOV and check for it puffing while running. hate to have introduced a boost leak.

I bought the BD positive air shutdown and their "turbo guard" with the intention of doing the same thing years ago.Currently I'm still just using a mechanical air shutdown on the compressor inlet of my low pressure turbo.

I figure that the odds of needing to shutdown the engine in an emergency runaway that there is a good chance there is no major boost leaks at the same time.

Whats the odds of having a stuck rack and/or blown turbo while also having a large enough boost leak that the guillotine style valve would not do the job ?

I spent all that money to get the stuff and decided against it as it could potentially damage/destroy either of my turbo's, charge cooler and/or piping in the event of using it due to a stuck rack for example .All it would take is a sticking solenoid on the BD turbo guard or an electrical issue and there could be big problems when quickly blocking off 100 psi boost.

Now I would not only need to repair the inj pump but possibly need 2 new turbo's at the same time.

Just my 2 cents.

Whats the odds of having a stuck rack and/or blown turbo while also having a large enough boost leak that the guillotine style valve would not do the job ?

lol, way better than us hit'n the lottery.

hate to have introduced a boost leak.
I hear ya. I was a bit worried at first while testing the springs with air. The o-ring didn't seal up until I placed around 40psi on the BOV. It will hold with any pressure on it now.

Regardless, I felt we needed to sorta go the extra mile on this thing and I really appreciate the help from the Comp-D family.

We've just about completed installing the rest of the body panels and are thinking about hitting a dirt drag on Thursday evening that is listed on the KOI dirt drag schedule. Guernsey, OH I think it is. Anyone raced at this one before?

lol, way better than us hit'n the lottery.

I hear ya. I was a bit worried at first while testing the springs with air. The o-ring didn't seal up until I placed around 40psi on the BOV. It will hold with any pressure on it now.

Regardless, I felt we needed to sorta go the extra mile on this thing and I really appreciate the help from the Comp-D family.

We've just about completed installing the rest of the body panels and are thinking about hitting a dirt drag on Thursday evening that is listed on the KOI dirt drag schedule. Guernsey, OH I think it is. Anyone raced at this one before?

The race is a new venture for the fair. The track with be hard sticky clay as they are using the pulling track. There should be plenty of shutdown area. Feel free to pm me with any other questions and I'll get you answers as my father is a director of the fair and was the one pushing to have this event. Hope you'll come out as I'd love to see in person.

Hope you'll come out as I'd love to see in person.

Lol, guess what??? We may or may not make it. Have a look at the melted windshield!!!!

stuck%20pump%202_zpsuypsgygo.jpg

We just finished getting all the body on and just installed the Harwood lexan windshield. I took the truck out beside the house and done several burn outs and launched it one good time. I even activated the air kill on one of the smoky burnouts with boost a little above 40 psi and everything worked flawlessly. As soon as I hit the air kill the BOV blew off the pressure and the truck was dead. All was well so I thought what the heck and headed down to the road to run up to the neighbors and back. I stopped in front of my mom and dads place and took off pretty hard. I motored around the next couple turns to the McCarty straight and climbed back in it. Just about half way up the straight, the pump hung wide open again!!! I hit the air kill and the truck shut down instantly with the BOV again working perfect. I had no where to get off the road so I used the air kill to throttle the thing up to the next driveway. Somewhere along the line, the plastic cowl cover caught fire and moved to the windshield. There I was limping up the road with the John Force look and whipped into the neighbors driveway. Luckily, all the Williams boys were over visiting along with Clarisa's fine husband and we quickly got the fire under control.

The pump and injectors are off and a good friend is going to head to Mt. Diesel in the morning with the pump. #3 injector was dry so I'd say it is the #3 plunger this time.

If we can get the pump and injectors back by Wednesday evening, we'll throw it together and head to the race Thursday. If not, I apologize in advance.

Shoo wee it's always something!

Why you reckon all the trouble with the pump sticking open now?

No fire extinguisher(s) on board ? Hopefully no more stuck rack in the future.Are you running 12 or 13mm plungers ?

Why you reckon all the trouble with the pump sticking open now?

Man I wish I knew the answer to that question. Pump guy says the first one was overpressure??? All the injection lines look good and the injectors are working properly.

Are you running 12 or 13mm plungers

13mm plungers. I wonder if driving this thing on the street like we did wore the pump parts to the point they are failing?? Pump guy says she is definitely going to need a new cam this winter.

I have another 13mm p-pump I'm sending down with this one. I think I'll just have the governors switched out as this other pump I have is AG governed.

Maybe i missed it, but are you running any 2 stroke oil with your fuel? Sorry your having all the pump issues

No fire extinguisher(s) on board

Yea, just my luck. We took the extinguisher out to relocate the A/W intercooler. I just hadn't re-installed the extinguisher yet.

are you running any 2 stroke oil with your fuel

Yes, we throw in some Klotz synthetic 2-stroke oil with every 5 gallon or so.

I'm gonna get rid of the fuel in the cell and get fresh. Some of the competitors we race against have been known to mess with other folks trucks and we really have not had anyone watching the truck at the races. I guess this could be a good sign we are getting to the competition. lol I doubt this has happened but you just never know. One of the fellas who messed with my valve cores when we had the Bodacious Ranger was at the Jackson County, WV fair. I wouldn't put it past this fella.

We have also decided to just use the AG governed pump as is. If the injectors check out, we'll be on for Thursday.

Injectors all good. Had to clean some debris out of #3 but it popped just fine after the cleaning.

I need to get a 10 to 8AN fitting from summit to get the fuel supply hooked up to the pump. This pump has only one fuel inlet drilled so I'll have to do away with the dual feed I had set up for the other pump.

I'm getting pretty fired up and determined to get to this race on Thursday!!!!

Hey andy2, have your fire men been properly trained on how to handle a motorsports incident?? Those boys at Jackson, OH didn't have a clue. I'm serious and I'd like to speak to the HDIC before we run.

Gonna make it to the @last flashlight in waynesburg?

Probably not. Two things will keep us off the blacktop from now on. The thought of crashing this bent up heap at 120+ and the new xfer case set-up.

You should go and give 'em h@ll.

Injectors all good. Had to clean some debris out of #3 but it popped just fine after the cleaning.

I need to get a 10 to 8AN fitting from summit to get the fuel supply hooked up to the pump. This pump has only one fuel inlet drilled so I'll have to do away with the dual feed I had set up for the other pump.

I'm getting pretty fired up and determined to get to this race on Thursday!!!!

Hey andy2, have your fire men been properly trained on how to handle a motorsports incident?? Those boys at Jackson, OH didn't have a clue. I'm serious and I'd like to speak to the HDIC before we run.

I think the last question was for me and the answer is I doubt it. However I plan on being there and I promise we can meet with whoever you want to before you run. Sending a pm your way.

Injectors all good.

Most dragstrips I've been to would likely be ok in an emergency.The bigger ones make sure you pass a tech inspection.I make a point of showing the tech guy "of the day" that I have a working air shuttdown on the car as most wouldn't know its importance on a turned up mechanical diesel.

I go to some off road events with my samurai.Some Crawls/races are very good with Tech inspection and make comments on what could be improved on.I have 2 fire extinguishers one within arms reach.I have a battery disconnect within arm's reach that shuts down everything.Some event's even keep a fluid spill kit.I roll my buggy all the time.Last time while on my side the guys had a spill kit under mine as the fuel cell's cap gasket was leaking diesel fuel.I also have ball valves for fuel supply/return and vent.

Do you guys have a tech inspection for your events ?

I've been to many other mudbog/offroad type events where it looks like you are on your own for safety.So you would need to depend on your crew or yourself to help you out more than anything.

Last edited:
hey its manseil with south bend clutch here. give me a call bud. i have something to talk to you about as far as a HUGE race close to you that we will be at. 800-988-4345. sorry man i can find yer number lol .....this message is for bodacious by the way. or anyone else who has a fast diesel there not afraid to get muddy

Hey Mansiel, I'll give you a shout today.

've been to many other mudbog/offroad type events where it looks like you are on your own for safety

lol, sounds like home. Some of the larger mud runs we hit, especially the MRA, NMRO events are safety overkill. However, no one knows anything about diesels so we sorta feel like we are cutting the mold.

I would so very much like to see more and more trucks similar to mine start rolling out of the garages. If we five or so, we could get our own class.

Look out Guernsey, OH, Bodacious is on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back