Ram50

Hey all, we just hit the door here at the house 1:34AM eastern. Craig had a pretty decent start of the run and it pulled to the left sometime around 2nd gear. When he corrected, she came around too quick and those big 44 DOT's did the rest.

Craig is fine and faced more danger from the phucktard fire dept/security people than the wrecked truck. They seemed more concerned with arresting me and the wife than caring for my son. One of the phucking idiots was pushing my son like he was gonna whip his ass or something!!!!... and this was just after he climbed out of the wreck!!!! Thanks again to the members who were nice enough to come over and apologize for the actions of others.

Truck damage is mostly cosmetic. The front frame rails are tweaked a little and the cage on the drivers side looks a little out of square. The front engine mounts are broken but the mid plate mount is in tact. The steering rack is trashed (again). The chain in the chain drive is also broke again??? Gonna have to step up a bit in this dept.

Craig is off work the rest of the week and I called off tomorrow. Of course, more damage assessment may deem it necessary to cancel but from what I can tell, we are going to hack the body off, fix the the other stuff and get the nitrous controller hooked up for the Braxton County Fair race on Saturday. I'll try to get some pics posted up before we begin hacking. It looks way worse than it is.

I need a billet compressor wheel for the 480 as ours wont survive the nitrous.

I got to meet Purn. I heard him talking about PBR and he had a PBR shirt on so I just had to ask. lol

If anyone has a good vid of the crash, please post it up. The wife threw our camera so its trashed. Craig's girlfriend has a decent vid right up until the roll over.

Anyhow, yea it sucks balls. We knew it was gonna happen eventually. You can't do this crap without a few dents and scrapes.

It's no different than anything else in life, get back on the horse as quick as you can and keep on ride'n.

Glad everyone is ok!

I saw a picture in another thread and noticed the intercooler in the cab. You may want to put a sfi blanket around it, I recently blew the side out of my intercooler and it wrapped the 1/4" aluminum plate around the frame rail. I couldn't even imagine if a chunk of the tank popped and hit the driver!

Glad everyone is ok!

I saw a picture in another thread and noticed the intercooler in the cab. You may want to put a sfi blanket around it, I recently blew the side out of my intercooler and it wrapped the 1/4" aluminum plate around the frame rail. I couldn't even imagine if a chunk of the tank popped and hit the driver!

That's why when people tell me to put it in the cabin, I show them pictures of failures LOL They're like big aluminum grenades.

I recently blew the side out of my intercooler and it wrapped the 1/4" aluminum plate around the frame rail.

I've worried about this happening. The thing supposed to be good for 150psi and we might see 100 or so with nitrous. I'm gonna check into a blanket. Thanks.

Looks like it could use a different tire setup for dirt

Yes, we are thinking the same thing. Do you have any suggestions?? We watched several of the trucks running what looked like drag radials and they were hooking pretty decent. Keep in mind, we are about half the weight of most of the trucks running.

We have our cuts and ran them at Lee Hill last year. They did pretty well but the track was a little softer than Jackson County. A hard pack track like we wrecked on is going to be tough to master.

Here is the best video of the wreck that has been sent to us. If Purn or someone could fix it up for the non facebook folks, I would appreciate it.

https://www.facebook.com/SirBryanDTA/videos/10206883609232580/?pnref=story

This was Wednesday night.

This was Thursday Morning.

wreck%201_zpsipphnqst.jpg

wreck%202_zpsmau5i7ll.jpg

wreck%203_zps7hdmir6j.jpg

wreck4_zpsorc7skht.jpg

wreck_zps3afb65nv.jpg

Craig and I took the rest of the week off. The earlier state about being mostly cosmetic damage was way off. The chassis was tweaked everywhere. A little dozer and excavator work along with some welding etc... and help from the best friends a guy could ever ask for and this was Friday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DhGjheQoM

...and Saturday we ran the fastest passes the truck has ever gone. We went 2.73 on cuts in 150'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36qBTrLZmI

... and a 2.50 on scoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzMFsQxTcI&feature=youtu.be

I think I'm going to try and beat the bedsides back out and re-attach. Not sure what we will do for front fenders.

Last edited:
Fixed it for ya,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4D92RQkkI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4D92RQkkI[/ame]

:Cheer:

You guys are unstoppable. Sooooo many people would have let the truck sit for the rest of the.year after that. I don't know how you find the time to post about it here, but thank you for doing so. It's one of my favorite threads.

Did it go faster because the bed and fenders weren't on? Or was that a lot faster than normal?

Yes, we are thinking the same thing. Do you have any suggestions?? We watched several of the trucks running what looked like drag radials and they were hooking pretty decent. Keep in mind, we are about half the weight of most of the trucks running.

We have our cuts and ran them at Lee Hill last year. They did pretty well but the track was a little softer than Jackson County. A hard pack track like we wrecked on is going to be tough to master.

Yea, it was a pretty firm track. I had the green 2nd gen that won modified. I was running a street tire and it still hooked pretty decent. I would say something with a lot less sidewall then your mud setup would help immensely. From what I could tell from the starting line the "bounce" in the rear tires kept your suspension from being able to do its job.

any type of wide All terrain tire with a lot less sidewall would make your little truck a little more controllable on hard dirt I think. It definitely has the power/weight ratio to be super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are unstoppable. Sooooo many people would have let the truck sit for the rest of the.year after that. I don't know how you find the time to post about it here, but thank you for doing so. It's one of my favorite threads.

If you don't take the time to read through the thread, you won't realize that we are where we are because of the compd family (even though we have never met most of 'em). I feel it is my duty to keep the thread alive and up to date so the folks who have helped us out can stay with us as we go on. We are constantly breaking new ground with this thing and our simple minds aren't enough to keep it progressing. The thread also fuels us to keep going and constantly improve. I love it when I get a post like yours. You just filled our fuel tank for the next couple weeks. lol

Thanks Purn. Sumb!tch hit hard. I cant express enough how proud I am of that boy of mine. To climb back in that heap a mere two days after the crash and run it like it was nothing just simply baffles me.

Did it go faster because the bed and fenders weren't on? Or was that a lot faster than normal?

I'd have to guess that the bed sides, front fenders, grill, hood, and the extremely heavy glass windshield all piled up would weigh around 100lbs. So, no, the missing body didn't do it for us. The big changes we made from last year at the same race to this year were the B&J and the addition of the intercooler. The best we did at the very same track last year was 2.91 on the scoops. We ran over 4 tenths faster this year. Unfortunately, this thing probably wont hit the drag strip ever again. I'll be happy to speculate that if we pull 4 tenths off our best 1/8th mile time it would put us at 5.91. That's a solid 5 second street driven truck in my mind. lol Oh yea, the street driving thing is now a thing of the past. We are going to focus on more HP which requires filling the block. The dirt and mud drags will become our main focus with the remaining racing season.

I would say something with a lot less sidewall then your mud setup would help immensely. From what I could tell from the starting line the "bounce" in the rear tires kept your suspension from being able to do its job.

Weird!!! My thoughts exactly. How do you think a rear tire like the winged outlaw spring cars run would do???

I have felt those tires after the race, they are as soft or softer than a drag slick and hook like.glue on shiny dirt. It.may work out great, but stick to what the other fast guys are running and you should be fine.

Like Ryan said, I don't always comment (maybe I should?) but I LOVE following this build & you guys. Your tenacity & humble approach are amazing. Keep up the good work!!

I haven't been to any local mud runs in years but I don't remember such drastic difference in front & rear tire sizes. Yes, the fronts were smaller but not to the ratio like y'all's. Is y'all's the norm or are you trying something different than the rest of the trucks? Just curious.

The drastic tire difference is pretty common in the mud racing world. They don't do much so the smaller and lighter the better.

Very cool to see you're still back at it. Also I really like how this thing brings on boost so fast.

You make any flashlight drags this year? There's one on August 9th that I plan on attending.

Just sayin. Im pretty sure i saw a d50 at a YOU PULL IT near uniontown pa. Sprouts you pull it on hopwood pa. Was just there last week.

You make any flashlight drags this year?
Naw, we were gonna hit Waynesburg the week of the crash. I doubt we get out for any of 'em this year now.

Thanks Camarokiller, we had the same idea and I spent two evenings last week going and scrounging up some body parts. She wont be the Bodacious grey, but, she will be a little straighter in a short time.

Yea Shortbus I know Scott very well at Racing in the Dirt. I'm probably the reason he is at an all time record sale level this year. lol I have studied his chain drive in depth and I like it other than not having a chain adjustment. The Super Stock class we are trying to get in requires a stock type transfer case. I have a good friend gutting an NP208 for me as we speak. He machines and splines a solid through shaft essentially making it a direct drive chain drive in a stock case. With the stock chain, the parasitic losses are less than what I had with the single 60. We are also dropping a gear off the back of the B&J. We will only have two speeds but since she is strictly mud now it will be perfect.

Back