Ram50

We weld all of our crank gears on our high rpm p-pump motors. Seen that happen more than a few times.

I'd just pull out the welder and add a couple small 1" long beads in two places between the gear and the crank to keep the gear from turning even further and completely shearing off the dowel pin. Then when you reassemble the everything, make sure the cam's intake centerline is where you want it and get a good reference mark for TDC so you can accurately set timing. The crank gear/dowel alignment pin on my Junker Drag Truck did the same thing and I just welded it in-place and moved on with the build!

Are you still running the little 87 turbine wheel in a small housing?
Hey sting, yep, still running the little stuff.

OK, the crank gear is welded. I tried the best I could to get the gear to slip back to original position. I'm pretty sure I would have broken something if I tried any harder so I just left it where it was. I pulled the hamiliton retainer off the cam and looked at its keyway. All is good here.

welded%20crank%20gear_zpsaphwqmyj.jpg

I'm not sure how many degrees retarded this will leave the engine.

I've been working on and off trying to get the water/air intercooler plumbed up. We cut and turned one of the tanks on one of the A/W intercoolers we bought from a fellow member.

intercooler_zpsvnxgwfu8.jpg

The Weld Craft WP17 flex head tig torch failed on me and now it flexes a little to much. I tore it apart and the 'flex head' part of the torch is a heavy wall copper tube. So Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are dead in the water 'till I get the parts for the torch.

No racing this weekend. YoungDiesel27, we prob wont show Saturday. Looks like a lot of rain anyway.

why not pull the gear and pin, replace both, recheck the cam centerline and then weld?

why not pull the gear and pin, replace both, recheck the cam centerline and then weld?

Yea right, the correct thing to do. Only, we just went with it due to time constraints.

I just wanted to drop in and give an update. The intercooler and cold water tank are installed and we hit a mud race over the weekend.

This is the best I have seen the truck run to date. I have not posted any vids, but, The 'Hillbilly Proud' folks have a few of them posted on their channel.

Craig won the Open cut/paddle class and the Modified class (DOT's). Granted, most of the bigger guys that showed last year did not show this year. Take a look at the Hillbilly Proud vid of the cut run and let me know if it looks fast or not??? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nUi5cyr-o

We bought a set of 13x38x16 Swamper TSL's and threw them on Lil' Nellie for the daughter to run. She made it through four times but wasn't quick enough to place. Dang truck is just all wrong for mud racing!!!

We are planning to hit Kanawha Valley this Friday night, leave there Saturday morning for a mud race in Lincoln County, and get home in time to throw the street tires on and watch the fireworks in town.

Mud Race

There is a 10k nitrous race on the 18th and 19th of July here local. They are running all classes and should have some pretty fast trucks. Look up Awesome Acres Mud Bog for info.

Craig won the Open cut/paddle class and the Modified class (DOT's). Granted, most of the bigger guys that showed last year did not show this year. Take a look at the Hillbilly Proud vid of the cut run and let me know if it looks fast or not??? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nUi5cyr-o

You looked like you were the only one who knew what they were doing, gas or diesel lol.....

That was without nitrous right? I can't wait to see what it does at the sand drags now! I was talking with Dmitri about him doing a clutch setup, and he was curious about the learning curve. How long did it take Craig to get used to that thing? Is anything hand operated (clutch or throttle) or is it still all foot?

Look up Awesome Acres Mud Bog for info.

OK, thanks Sting.

That was without nitrous right?

Yes, no nitrous. Just the a/w intercooler. When you kick on the water, the whole intercooler frost up.

I hope the weather is good at the Drag Strip Friday evening.

I'm not sure either one of us will ever get used to the set-up. lol The clutch is operated with the right hand. It's all good until you forget the clutch is operated by the right hand. lol It is much better than the glide so far. The best part is instant boost. As she gets close to 52-5300rpm, the clutch starts engaging and loading the engine just enough to start boost. We've been working on trying to ease off the clutch rather than let it go. So far, the triple 10" has held just fine.

I'm going to be on the look out for another B&J unit. I'd like to stick one in Craig's little first gen. The 46rh in it now appears to have a mind of its own and upshifts all the way to drive while the shifter is in 2nd gear??? Plus, I came across another 13mm P-pump. This one has an ag governer so you'd almost need the clutch set-up to get it going.

OK, thanks Sting.

Yes, no nitrous. Just the a/w intercooler. When you kick on the water, the whole intercooler frost up.

I hope the weather is good at the Drag Strip Friday evening.

I'm not sure either one of us will ever get used to the set-up. lol The clutch is operated with the right hand. It's all good until you forget the clutch is operated by the right hand. lol It is much better than the glide so far. The best part is instant boost. As she gets close to 52-5300rpm, the clutch starts engaging and loading the engine just enough to start boost. We've been working on trying to ease off the clutch rather than let it go. So far, the triple 10" has held just fine.

I'm going to be on the look out for another B&J unit. I'd like to stick one in Craig's little first gen. The 46rh in it now appears to have a mind of its own and upshifts all the way to drive while the shifter is in 2nd gear??? Plus, I came across another 13mm P-pump. This one has an ag governer so you'd almost need the clutch set-up to get it going.

That's awesome. I'm going to say leaving the line at 5K probably gets addicting! I'll be curious to see how it does at the strip.

Hey, just wanted to let folks know they upped the chance of rain to 70% this evening. Just to risky for us to make the 3hr trip.

We will, however, be at the Lincoln county mud race tomorrow.

That thing rips out of the hole with the clutch. Out of all the vids you've posted this one looks the fastest from what I can remember.

Thanks okie18, it has picked up with the trans change.

We made the Lincoln County race. I would like to throw a big thank you out to all the folks who helped out when it came to tire changing and what not. Craig and Sam opted not to go to this one so the only pith b!tch I had was the wife. No worries, we had enough help from the fellow racers and friends that I felt like I was in the nascar pits. lol

Anyhow, on to the race. One of my racing buddies has a very quick Super Stock ride. This ride is the closest thing to our weight and is powered by a naturally aspirated chevy. I wont post the size of the engine, but, I'd have to guess he's north of 1000HP. He's a tad lighter than we are. We ran the cut class and I finished .007 seconds behind him. This is the second pass. They shortened the track to 100' due to the rains and swampy shutdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skjKCp6utVI&feature=youtu.be

With help from the nascar caliber pit crew, we bolted on the DOT's and ran in the super stock class. We ended up placing second behind the aforementioned ride by just under a 10th. It wasn't until I watched the videos this morning that I realized the clutch is not engaging. On my last pass, I thought the starter was hung. It turns out the throw out bearing is messing up probably due to all the mud jammed up in the bell housing from the race the weekend before. Head to youtube and jump on my channel 'Bodacious Cummins' for the other vids.

All in all we had a pretty decent weekend. After we returned home from the race, I gave her a quick hose down, pulled all the swamp grass off the underbelly, removed the chain drive, and the wife and I drove her into town to Butch's 4th of July party; 44 Boggers and all. I was worried about the pro gears in the rear so I would accelerate for a couple seconds and then coast a couple seconds. They lasted the +/- 12 miles into town. I can tell ya you don't want to get into the throttle to hard with those 44's on the back.

I will get some pics up of our A/W intercooler set up. This addition has definitely helped out on the performance end. Our ice water tank is an old 3 gal fuel cell we modified. With the tank about half full of water, we can dump in two 8lb bags of ice just before the pass. All the ice is gone and the water is close to ambient after each pass.

Last edited:
There is a 10k nitrous race on the 18th and 19th of July here local. They are running all classes and should have some pretty fast trucks. Look up Awesome Acres Mud Bog for info.

Hey Sting, we decided to hit this one. Will show up Sat sometime and will be camping. May as well come on over.

That's incredible that you're almost the same weight, and you've got 500+lbs of engine on him.

car show

We didn't race any this weekend and the clutch problem turned out to be a simple adjustment. Apparently the starter was hung up 'cause the throw out bearing is just fine. Their wasn't a spec of mud inside the bell housing.

I couldn't stand not doing something with the little truck. We had planned to hit a car show last year and we were either broke or racing somewhere. So, I installed the 3.0 street gears, slipped on the drag/street shoes and the wife and I headed up to Clarksburg's Rosebud Plaza for the Saturday car show.

Along the 20+ mile trip down, I carefully monitored the trans temp gauge. With the gauge reading just above 100 degrees we motored on enjoying the ride. We began to smell something along the lines of natural gas in the cab and I didn't think much of the smell at first 'cause it is a common occurrence around here. Eventually, it became apparent the smell was coming from the truck. We pulled over and the damn trans was so freek'n hot you could here the fluid boiling inside!!!! Sending unit must have taken a crap.

We waited about 30min and I could at least touch the trans but couldn't hold my hand on it. We had about 8 mile to go so we jumped in and continued on. I left the trans in second this time and accelerated and let off. I did this the remaining 8 miles and we made it to the show.

Once at the show, I felt the trans and it was hot, but, not extremely hot. I fired it up after a small meet and greet and commenced beating on the thing in the parking lot.

We were well received and had a great time. A lot of head shaking going on though????? lol

We left the show and drove another 10 or so miles further to a friends house. We visited for a while and I got to see his 'work in progress' 600 inch John Kaase pro street '67 Fairlane. I kinda poked him in the ribs a bit when he was telling me the power he's making and let him know he's gonna have to step up the game it he wants to run with us diesel guys.

We headed back home and during the 30 mile trip back, I continued with the second gear accelerate-coast, accelerate -coast deal. we stopped three times and the trans was just warm to the touch.

I'll have to get the gauge working so I can see what is truly happening. Obviously, with a constant load the trans will continue to build heat without any cooling device. Mike at B&J told me I could tap the case and add a pump to circulate the fluid through a cooler. This is all well and good, but, I hate to keep adding weight to the thing.

One thing I know for sure, this B&J is one tuff piece!!!!

I'd say a couple pounds is worth street driving! Where are the pics? Next time you go to a car show you should take it covered in mud! Ha ha.

I'd say a couple pounds is worth street driving! Where are the pics? Next time you go to a car show you should take it covered in mud! Ha ha.

It wasn't perfectly clean. Lol

Hey Sting, we are scratching for this weekend. Still thinking about the Jackson diesel drag the following Wednesday.

Back