In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
im sure Gary heard alot of crap about spending all that money on that truck from his wife like all men do, but im pretty sure there will be no arguing EVER over the cost of a safety item from anyones wife on here after this.....

FYI, Roll Bars are 4 point, 5 if you count the door bar. (Main hoop ends, and 2 down tubes, Door bar [from main hoop to drivers foot-well].)

What they lack is a halo, and support for said surround.

most roll bars are 6 point... main hoop, rear downbars, front door bars. 6 points. the addition of a halo gives you the cage.

im not trying to be off topic but there is vid of a truck up in cananda that hits the wall and goes over it it had a cage and is pretty mangled up. i dont know the link but i know that fearmydodge who is on comp has vidoe of it on his website he was racing the truck. you might play that vid for some ppl who say bs on the rollcage and ask them what that truck would look like if it didnt have a cage in it.
i know if i was dragracing even if i ran 14's id have a cage in my truck its just not worth it even if the other truck comes in your lane and hits you its not worth risking it
SAFETY SHOULD BE #1 IN EVERY SPORT EVEN PULLING WHERE ALOT OF THINGS ARE OVER LOOKED LIKE U JOINT SHIELDS

...I race an 11.70 truck w/ no cage. Before I race again, it will have a 6 point cage just like the one that saved Gary's life this weekend.
IMHO... any truck much faster than 12.50 needs one.

most roll bars are 6 point... main hoop, rear downbars, front door bars. 6 points. the addition of a halo gives you the cage.

Sorry, in the Jeep world, a roll bar is just the rear hoop (some call 4 point). 4 point is manditory in most sanctioned Off Road events in the stock class (rear hoop with no rear kickers but with side spreaders and front hoop) but 6 point minimum is required in all other classes. Joints need to be gusseted and/or a cross bar mounted vertical and horizontal installed for structural integrity.... and we only go about 4 MPH!

I am new to the Diesel Drag Race world, but I agree with most of you... a cage is needed, you guys are going fast with 6k lbs of danger around you...

after watching the truck, it didnt look like it ever did a full roll onto its lid...

man, i really cant imagine what a full weight 12 second or faster truck would do if it went sideways and ended up in a barrel roll...my god that would be horrific and almost certainly fatal.

i agree that we need to roll bar at 12.49 and cage at 11.99, even at 12.49 i know my truck is going about 118mph. and i am one of the heaviest out there.

I think what is important to remember is that there are safety rules competitors as asked for as a MINIMUM requirement to race. Nobody is going to disqualify you if you want to wear a helmet in a stock 17 second truck. :banned:

Get as safe as you feel you need to above what is required. :rockwoot:

Wow Gary thats just about made me puke... Was this Uncle DJ racing to help? If so you rock DJ.

As for a cage I have been thinking about it after a friend of mine rolled his Excursion on the Turnpike coming back from Disney. One of the front tires blew out and sent them into a concrete poll. His wife and two kids walked away from it with glass cuts.

My truck only runs in the low 14's but I'm also lifted with bigger tires.

My question is can someone come up with a streetable cage?

Last edited by a moderator:
man, I had to watch that over and over and every time brought a horrible feeling. It seems so simple to take a truck or car in a straight line for 1320ft but, these machines are fallible.

I love to run my truck but, I almost want to say trucks like mine have no business on a track, I know many of you will agree with that. Lifted 6", rolling on 37's @ over 100mph at the end of the 1/4 is a combination for trouble. I'm at 8900lbs. Without standing on the brakes it's always taken the second turn off before I was slowed down enough to turn. The inertia is overwhelming !

I would say it may be wise to add to the rule book about trucks like mine. I want to continue racing it but, and wouldn't mind at all to see tighter rules for these types of trucks if they're going to race. Although I'm only in the 12's and may not get much faster.... I too will be making the investment at S&S! So what it's partly a daily driver.... roll cages can be made to look as good as the interior.

I would like to see Charlie Stewart chime in on this discussion. I think he would have some worthwhile opinions for us to hear.

If I recall from my old nhra bracket days in a car, a swing out is not legal after a certain et. as there for the joints can break and bar can do alot of bodily injury or even death if it comes loose

I have a feeling that S&S will have a lot full of diesel pickups getting cages real soon. Wonder if they will give us a group buy?

In theory i think over 115mph diesel trucks should have at least a 10 point and a 6 point 100-114mph

The Diesel organizations can make new rules, but also need to let NHRA and IHRA know and hope they can adopt the safety rules too as this could happen at any time on a normal race or test tune on one of there tracks.

I think David Dunbar hit the nail on the head. If you feel the current requirements don't meet your threshold of safety, you don't need a rule to cage that SOB up to feel safe.

I think the day you start making 12.50 trucks cut up their daily driver to meet tech. is the day you see people looking for another place to race.

I run a 12.60 now and I know I'm not looking to put a roll bar in it, but than again I haven't had to walk the track to find my "pucker"...

Just watched the video ,it sent chills down my spine.Glad that Gary is ok.

Dennis hooked us up with S&S when we had our cage done a few years back.With the times we were running a few years ago we could of ran a bar but felt safer going with a chrome moly cage.

i also think maybe the tracks could do something with the barriers on the side of the track.most of these trucks are taller than the walls.that could help out alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back