Superduty P-pump 24v cummins build thread

Very nice job, and I love your truck. Man it's sexy. LOL

Thank you! Its got 1000 miles on it now, did the first trans fluid change today, before the shifts were a little weak and it flared going into third, put the new fluid and and a bottle of lubeguard and now the trans shifts perfect so Im even happier, next is more pump tuning.

I want to offload my old 12 valve and get a king ranch EXACTLY like yours. Very very nice truck, even better with a good ol mechanically injected cummins under the hood.

Very jealous indeed

Another quick update:

Ive just been doing some finishing touches on the truck as I go, I work on it a little almost every day. I had to put new upper and lower balljoints on the truck last week, not surprising with 195k miles on the truck. I think its needing wheel bearings too though, no big deal, thats easy enough. I readjusted my valves yesterday, I had a good oil leak coming out the back of the engine too, I thought the rear main didnt seal. Turns out that one of the times I pulled the valve cover off the gasket didnt seat right and go bent on the back of the engine. I fixed that and no more oil leak. The hot IC pipe had a couple small holes in the welds so I pulled that off and welded those closed. Just small things like that.

Ive also been spending a lot more time tuning the pump. I adjusted my preboost or "smoke screw" back to the point that its almost smoke free driving around town. The only downside is that since I pulled a lot of fuel out in doing so, its laggy til 10psi but it doesnt take too long to get there. I also cant spool it up by brake torquing it quickly at all but thats a simple adjustment of a screw.

I also adjusted the starwheel some more so its waits til closer to 50psi to full fuel. I moved the fuel plate to about the middle as well about two weeks ago. This made it so that once I hit 10psi and the turbo lit it would leave a decent cloud if I lay into but then clear up immediately all the way to 45psi.

The only issue was that it was really lacking at the top end, it had good power there, but between 3/4-full throttle didnt feel any different. After doing more research I saw that a lot of people who spend time properly tuning an AFC really have no use for a fuel plate except to restrict full fueling. So yesterday I decided to pull the fuel plate out and see what happens. I took it out for a drive and acted the same as before to 3/4 throttle so obviously a fuel plate isnt necessary any more in that aspect. Then I layed into it full throttle and WOW there was where the fuel plate was screwing me over.

It immediately smacked 55-57 psi of boost and pulled hard. The only problem was it really full fueled then, it went from the turbo cleaning up the smoke to the exact opposite, its just thick smoke at full fuel. It also pegged the pyro so I had to let out.

My only complaint with the truck still is my crusing egts. Going 60-70 MPH it sits between 900-1000 degrees no matter what I change on the pump. The only thing I havent changed is timing yet, I dunno if that might take care of the issue or not.

I think today though Im going to cut the plate to a 0 and put it full forward to restrict full fueling some. Then maybe try a governor spring or something stiffer for an AFC spring to help restrict full fuel and I can adjust tension with starwheel accordingly. I have the AFC set full forward as well, I tried it back halfway and it had zero power on the low end.

some helpful info. I'm getting close to that point, except for the minor setback of having to pull my 24v back out and drop a 12v in. had everything done and driving, and come to find out, motor had bad rings. (and I didn't do a full rebuild)

some helpful info. I'm getting close to that point, except for the minor setback of having to pull my 24v back out and drop a 12v in. had everything done and driving, and come to find out, motor had bad rings. (and I didn't do a full rebuild)

Oh man sorry to hear that, that would not be fun to have happen especially after getting it on the road

to get rid of my check engine light I just lit mine with a AA battery till it blew.

The only thing I still need to figure out is how to get the check gauge off, I need trans oil temp. I am going to put a a real gauge for the trans temp but I want that check gauge light gone. I used a 1996 f250 7.5l oil pressure switch to get my pressure gauge working.

Anyone know if there is a resistor I can add to appease the trans temp gods?

edit: I read that as check engine not check guage.

Last edited:
to get rid of my check engine light I just lit mine with a AA battery till it blew.

The only thing I still need to figure out is how to get the check gauge off, I need trans oil temp. I am going to put a a real gauge for the trans temp but I want that check gauge light gone. I used a 1996 f250 7.5l oil pressure switch to get my pressure gauge working.

Anyone know if there is a resistor I can add to appease the trans temp gods?

edit: I read that as check engine not check guage.

Im not sure on the resistor, I really need to start taking care of that stuff though so I dont have a christmas tree for a dashboard

Great looking swap glad its on the road now and its running good.

Thanks!

Matt,
I just remembered I owe you a picture of my degas bottle I don't know if you got that figured out yet but here is the bottle I used. I just made a bracket to mount this on the passenger side by the fan shroud as high as I could get it. It is mounted horizontal so the filler is up. then I just ran the overflow from the radiator to it and a 3/4" IIRC hose down to my lower radiator connection, I think I T-ed it into my heater return hose. it is a Howe racing overflow tank from Summit racing it was less than $70.00 but it will fit.

Thanks a lot for this. Going to give it a try on my buddies truck... We are having so many problems with the 6.0 coolant bottle and the bottom T.

I just wish the ford radiators had the cap, it would make everything so much easier, especially with routing the coolant lines.

Guess I could do a little update on this.

I drove it down to beans for the event last weekend and threw it on the dyno. I wasnt the happiest with the numbers, it only made 435/930 and couldnt clean the fuel up at all. I think it has more becuase for an 8500 pound truck on my SOP dyno on the road I think it runs much stronger but oh well

My plan is twins here soon, Im thinking an HE351 and S475/88 and make the piping and everything myself and put the 66 on the 12v for my 86. I just want something that spools quicker for daily driving as well and doesnt suck so much for towing.

The only issue Ive been having with the truck is the billet tappet cover wont stop leaking oil out the bolt holes and the o ring seal so I have to pull the pump and everything back off to reseal that. Other than that its doing good with 6300 miles on it now.

Video of the dyno run
[ame]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/mpopiel/M4H01305.mp4[/ame]

It's sounds about right for what it did.

I think the awesomeness of the whole truck offsets the power though. That thing is clean and friggin sexy.

It's sounds about right for what it did.

I think the awesomeness of the whole truck offsets the power though. That thing is clean and friggin sexy.

Yeah I guess I just had wishful thinking for a 500 number LOL

And thanks man I appreciate it! Im really happy with the truck, and peoples reactions when they hear the truck drive by never gets old. I only had one kid at beans ask me what tuner I had on the truck:doh:

Yeah I guess I just had wishful thinking for a 500 number LOL

And thanks man I appreciate it! Im really happy with the truck, and peoples reactions when they hear the truck drive by never gets old. I only had one kid at beans ask me what tuner I had on the truck:doh:

The newer tow mirrors and the tint are sweet! Maybe one day ill have a truck that nice. It's hard to find one like that with how much salt they use here in Utah!!

The newer tow mirrors and the tint are sweet! Maybe one day ill have a truck that nice. It's hard to find one like that with how much salt they use here in Utah!!

Thank you! The newer mirrors made a huge difference, after having my 6.4 with them on there I dont want to have a truck with older superduty mirrors. Its have to find trucks without rust here too, thats why I flew to texas to pick this one up

Sweet rig. Very nicely done. Now I had better go buy my high frequency for my welder so I can get my TIG working.:)

Back