2003-2004 UDC Info

The timing calculator I believe is basically set up for 4.5 and up trucks. Someone needs to buy a 03-04 for John.. I'm sure John may chime in on this. I have been keeping my low RPM timing numbers stock but spool and cruise area's I have been toying with.The calc is probably in the mid to WOT ranges.

How are you coping and pasting in UDC? I don't see any software updates and the original UDC does not have that capability.

That is why there is copy and paste now...

What's the deal with the copy & paste your talking about, are you referring to the comparison cmp button to copy the compared file or is there an update I'm not aware of.

My UDC software is from Nov. 11, 2012 and don't have the ability to copy & paste in or out of UDC

This one is the my best so far.

I have come to the conclusion that I need professional help.

Attachments

• V25_sample.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 0
Hey estrada your V21 is working good for me after I converted it to an ssr version. I'll try the same with your latest and tell you what I figure. What were you not liking about the V21

Changed timing to ramp up slower, spools faster with less smoke. Quieted engine down a lot.

Highway cruising mileage still unknown. Does great around town.

UDCv21v25comparision_zpseaa78837.png
[/IMG]

Is anyone using the timing calculator that John has supplied on the 03's? Just curious what you guys are using for fuel splits..

Things I have found so far on my truck. I cleaned up smoke down low by dropping 1200-1400 RPM above from 37%-100% engine load quite a bit . Keeping timing fairly low below 2000RPM from 50%-100% cleans up smoke at WOT. Torque management can also clean up allot smoke. Mine is set to max at 50% right now but the highest I have seen engine load at WOT is 62%.
What are you guys seeing for engine load, egt's and rail psi at highway speeds....70-73 mph?

Is anyone using the timing calculator that John has supplied on the 03's? Just curious what you guys are using for fuel splits..

No

What are you guys seeing for engine load, egt's and rail psi at highway speeds....70-73 mph?

150hp injectors in with 62/71/14 over S480 87 turbine 1.10ar

Load at 70 is 14.5% uncorrected give or take

Egt's 650* to 800* depending on everything.

RPM is 1850 (3.73 gears and stock tires)

Timing is 3.7*

Rail is 11,700

Duration is stock 1,766us

Mileage on long trips at 60-65 is 20mpg give or take.

150hp injectors in with 62/71/14 over S480 87 turbine 1.10ar

Load at 70 is 14.5% uncorrected give or take

Egt's 650* to 800* depending on everything.

RPM is 1850 (3.73 gears and stock tires)

Timing is 3.7*

Rail is 11,700

Duration is stock 1,766us

Mileage on long trips at 60-65 is 20mpg give or take.

14.5% load corrected is more like 20% engine load so are you sure your calling for 3.7 deg of timing or is it higher? I won't even try to get into the duration table but I can tell that the cells in duration table do not line up with the timing table. You would be surprised what cell in the duration table effects that area. John was right when he said the labels are wrong..

14.5% load corrected is more like 20% engine load so are you sure your calling for 3.7 deg of timing or is it higher? I won't even try to get into the duration table but I can tell that the cells in duration table do not line up with the timing table. You would be surprised what cell in the duration table effects that area. John was right when he said the labels are wrong..

Late at night and forgot about the load shenanigans.

Timing is 4.1*

Rail is 11,300

estrada, i used some of your v25 tune, used the tntr sw7 duration table and modded the rp map to ramp up harder and sooner, i used your timing map too. very very please with the setup, starts spooling at 1500 now with little effort. on the hwy at 70 i can roll into it very lightly and build boost soo easy now, i used to have to labor at the truck to get it to build boost on the highway. the boost gauge climbs so effortlessly and quickly now. i did a 70% throttle roll on in drive with tow haul on and waited for the tc to lock holy cow, truck came to life like it has never before.

Now i need to work on getting rid of the smoke, too much skinny pedal and it is pretty gross, hazes a little harder than the smarty tntr 9 that i used to run when i rail on it.

take a look at the tune and tell me what u think. gonna start working on the smoke now.

also where is this 03 timing calc at. will start looking at my fuel split now too.

Attachments

• v1_sample.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
Now i need to work on getting rid of the smoke, too much skinny pedal and it is pretty gross, hazes a little harder than the smarty tntr 9 that i used to run when i rail on it.

take a look at the tune and tell me what u think. gonna start working on the smoke now.

also where is this 03 timing calc at. will start looking at my fuel split now too.

I would lower your max load max duration to TNT/R #9 levels.

Recently I extended my cruise zone out from 1400-2200 one more row. Raising timing .5*-1.0*

Also lowered my spool zone .5*-1.0* and it woke up a lot. Spools wicked fast now.

Did some towed 10k from Modesto, CA to Klamath falls, OR over some decent grades and got 10.5 to 12.5 mpg iirc. The kicker was getting 18-21mpg pulling a unloaded car trailer down there. Elevation played a factor but ill take it. This tune I am running with what I described above gets awesome highway mileage.

Highway mileage is low twenties depending on how much "testing" I have to do.

As for low end smoke I use my brain and foot as well a PCS tranny controller. Lowering line pressure at lower TPS percentages help get RPMs up quicker and out of that manual transmission smoke area.

I should mention I trial and error everything and am not a "tuner".

Here is the timing calculator.http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149256

Last edited:
thanks for the info and the calc link. gonna play with the tune a lot more this weekend, really excited to see what i can do with it before i go with a bought tune.

heck right now i am only getting around 12 with my old tntr9 r file so hoping to get more out of it

You can add your name to the list who would like copy and paste.. Right now you have to manually enter each cell..

Last edited:
Back