Udc results: Dyno/fuel mileage/daily driving/racing

How does data logging tell you what the issue is? Does it log what is making the smoke, high EGT's, or lack of power? No it doesn't, that is up to the tuner to determine what caused the issue.

With a RP gauge you can sure tell what is being achieved, match your load/rpm/RP maps and see if its giving what you commanded. Is it faster with data logging, you bet it is, but it can be done the old fashioned way.

I don't know who said it wasn't a great tool, but it's just that.. a tool. There are other ways to tune, and they can be just as effective.

Data logging has no way of telling you if the maps are optimized for the motor, it just tells you what is going on. To me effective means making the most of your fuel, and that's in the maps and what happens in the cylinder, unless EFI has a sensor added to the cylinder you don't know what the ignition delay is, what the peak cylinder pressure is, or when it occurs... those type of numbers are what tells you if it's effective, not what the commanded pulse width, timing, or rail pressure are. Those numbers tell you if your maps are matched to your base tune and motor modifications.

I would love for UDC to offer data logging, it would save a lot of time in fine tuning things. I would also kill for a few more tables to adjust, but as of now my truck has never run better thanks to UDC.

are you serious? have you ever looked at a efi log and in that log saw a dip or spike in a parameter? so to say rp or rpm... its not just a great tool for a modified tune it can also be used to find problems with stock tucks.. like injector issues, and so on. and if you think your good old fashion rp gauge is actually accurater think again.. idk how many guys have tried to tell me they have a sngle cp3 truck stock holding 26000 all day or hey they are making 28000 with a mp8 and smarty although the factory sensor doesnt even read that high.

I think its funny you say smoke.... you do realize that bowl pattern of a piston design and tip and timing,duration are smoke right? so if your tuning your truck purely on smoke and or egt your doing it wrong anyways.. ive had a pulling truck for long enough to know it takes smoke/fuel to make power...i can take a junk ass tip design and make power but it will be smokey...

are you serious? have you ever looked at a efi log and in that log saw a dip or spike in a parameter? so to say rp or rpm... its not just a great tool for a modified tune it can also be used to find problems with stock tucks.. like injector issues, and so on. and if you think your good old fashion rp gauge is actually accurater think again.. idk how many guys have tried to tell me they have a sngle cp3 truck stock holding 26000 all day or hey they are making 28000 with a mp8 and smarty although the factory sensor doesnt even read that high.

Why would EFI read rail pressure more accurately than any other OBDII sensor? Your making incorrect assumptions about how I am reading the OEM sensor.

The export rate of J1850 is the limiting factor on an 03-05, and if EFI is ever released the data logging will have the same issue.

I think its funny you say smoke.... you do realize that bowl pattern of a piston design and tip and timing,duration are smoke right? so if your tuning your truck purely on smoke and or egt your doing it wrong anyways.. ive had a pulling truck for long enough to know it takes smoke/fuel to make power...i can take a junk ass tip design and make power but it will be smokey...

Smoke isn't always the answer for power, you may be leaving a little on the table but a clean tune is still a clean tune. And you should know that not all references are to WOT, smoke at low/min throttle can tell you a lot too.

how do you know what load map to look at with a rail pressure gauge?

The two are directly related to each other, so if you know where you pulling your pressure from you can know exactly where timing/duration are being pulled from.

Last edited:
Back