Custom 12mm VE coming soon!

Giles called me this morning with good news. The pump is done! I asked as many questions as I could get answers for. He modified the governor in order to better stablize the pump at idle, 700-725RPM. IIRC, he said he added a little more weight to it. This is the first time he's done this so this pump is his guinea pig for me to report back any issues. The internals were all in good shape with very little wear and only the driveshaft needing a replacement. He also reused the stock camplate.

Here's how it breaks down:

Engine Speed
2,000RPM - 263cc's
3,000RPM - 233cc's
3,500RPM - 220cc's
Base timing - 1.3mm (top-end of the stock range) with a gradual increase through the RPM range. He didn't give any specifics on where the variable timing stopped. In his words, he "can only tell me what he's paid to tell me." LOL

Fuel drops off significantly at 4,000RPM and I can't recall what the amount was but I'll never approach that speed anyhow since I still only have stock valve springs and retainers. Someday, I'll upgrade to some 110s from Hamilton. He recommended an inlet pressure of 25-30psi. An Airdog will be necessary very soon! I asked about my injectors being balanced anywhere from 240-245bar and he said he would leave them as is if it were him.

He referenced and compared a marine 5.9L with, I believe, a p-pump putting out only 80cc's and making 350bhp. I also clarified with him that 275cc's of fuel is good for 500hp. I'm thinking I'll be right between my goal of 450 and 500. Only the dyno will tell. I surely hope I'll be able to get on one next month.

Grand total including shipping came to $2,015. I should get it back in 3-7 days, maybe next Friday.

why not use the p pump piston lift pump then? I use it with my ve..just removed 1 of the 2 springs...Giles does some good work. I had a custom 12mm VE built for my VE vw mechanical TDI over 10 years ago by Pier's Pump guy. I can vouch for the big cam plate liking to seize up.. argh....lol.. other thank that pump was pretty awesome.. i have to find th espec sheet, but I think it was 200-220cc. Whats the skinny on this VP/VE hybrid??? i'd be interested in that.. mmay be for my VW stuff too..
Thanks,
Deo

im really hoping for 500hp out of my VE this summer... once I get my 5x18's, maybe that will happen in like anoter 3 months with the way SDX is going....

I hope to burn ever spec of fuel that the 12mm is putting out, Im going to be pretty dan dissapointed if it downt get me atleast close to 500horse.

5x18's, 63/68, steed speed t4, hamilton 188, and a lift pump pushin close to 70 lbs throught the stock inlet, hopefully that will get me there.

if not... I will build a 14mm and a set of trips if its really smokey

I WILL hit 500 horse.... its going to happen

why not use the p pump piston lift pump then?

That's not a bad idea. Certainly cheaper than an Airdog but, I don't know if it could keep up as volume is of more priority than pressure at this point. The fuel inside the case is gonna get pretty warm and it'll need as much cool(er) fuel from the tank as it can get. Plus, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the extra tick I hear at idle which I attribute to the cam lobe slapping the piston of the lift pump. I've already got an XDP sump on the way too.

That's not a bad idea. Certainly cheaper than an Airdog but, I don't know if it could keep up as volume is of more priority than pressure at this point. The fuel inside the case is gonna get pretty warm and it'll need as much cool(er) fuel from the tank as it can get. Plus, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the extra tick I hear at idle which I attribute to the cam lobe slapping the piston of the lift pump. I've already got an XDP sump on the way too.

I disagree with the volume not pressure thing... the size of the VE inernal ports, including the inlet, require Pressure to keep things moving.... the heat pressure creates is an issue though...

think of a gallon milk jug, poke a 1/4 inch hole and let it drain by gravity... you are going to have to pressurize that fluid to get it to drain the same rate as a 1 inch hole

I disagree with the volume not pressure thing... the size of the VE inernal ports, including the inlet, require Pressure to keep things moving.... the heat pressure creates is an issue though...

think of a gallon milk jug, poke a 1/4 inch hole and let it drain by gravity... you are going to have to pressurize that fluid to get it to drain the same rate as a 1 inch hole

Maybe I should've said volume AND pressure. Of course, with the Airdog will come 1/2" lines.

yeah thats more like it, but with volume comes the need for a good return setup. at somepoint these VE's are going to blow

That thought has crossed my mind. I wondered if using maybe 3/8" hose from the return at the pump to the tank would be alright. I know the return line banjo fitting is actually what dictates the amount of fuel return. Giles never brought it up so I assume it should be ok. However, since the additional pressure would create heat, I don't see it being a bad thing to return more fuel than compared to a stock pump.

the only issue will be the fact that a return that flows more than stock will lower case pressure, affecting the timing curve.

Giles called me this morning with good news. The pump is done! I asked as many questions as I could get answers for. He modified the governor in order to better stablize the pump at idle, 700-725RPM. IIRC, he said he added a little more weight to it. This is the first time he's done this so this pump is his guinea pig for me to report back any issues. The internals were all in good shape with very little wear and only the driveshaft needing a replacement. He also reused the stock camplate.

Here's how it breaks down:

Engine Speed
2,000RPM - 263cc's
3,000RPM - 233cc's
3,500RPM - 220cc's
Base timing - 1.3mm (top-end of the stock range) with a gradual increase through the RPM range. He didn't give any specifics on where the variable timing stopped. In his words, he "can only tell me what he's paid to tell me." LOL

Fuel drops off significantly at 4,000RPM and I can't recall what the amount was but I'll never approach that speed anyhow since I still only have stock valve springs and retainers. Someday, I'll upgrade to some 110s from Hamilton. He recommended an inlet pressure of 25-30psi. An Airdog will be necessary very soon! I asked about my injectors being balanced anywhere from 240-245bar and he said he would leave them as is if it were him.

He referenced and compared a marine 5.9L with, I believe, a p-pump putting out only 80cc's and making 350bhp. I also clarified with him that 275cc's of fuel is good for 500hp. I'm thinking I'll be right between my goal of 450 and 500. Only the dyno will tell. I surely hope I'll be able to get on one next month.

Grand total including shipping came to $2,015. I should get it back in 3-7 days, maybe next Friday.

Was it flowed with your injectors?

im really hoping for 500hp out of my VE this summer... once I get my 5x18's, maybe that will happen in like anoter 3 months with the way SDX is going....

I hope to burn ever spec of fuel that the 12mm is putting out, Im going to be pretty dan dissapointed if it downt get me atleast close to 500horse.

5x18's, 63/68, steed speed t4, hamilton 188, and a lift pump pushin close to 70 lbs throught the stock inlet, hopefully that will get me there.

if not... I will build a 14mm and a set of trips if its really smokey

I WILL hit 500 horse.... its going to happen

That's the spirit! It's good to have goals....I'm not stopping till my junk runs at least 11s! After that, I might finally go for some big fuel only numbers.

He modified the governor in order to better stablize the pump at idle, 700-725RPM. IIRC, he said he added a little more weight to it. This is the first time he's done this so this pump is his guinea pig for me to report back any issues.

Wonder where he got that idea??:poke::Cheer:

Was it flowed with your injectors?

No, his bench uses p-pump injectors. I'd assume stock size. Are they 6x.009s also like the i/c 1st gens?

Remember to Loctite the seal if you're going to run too much pressure!

The front seal is of a new design and material on the outside diameter. I mentioned using Loctite on the seal and he said there's no need and no way to with the new style seal.

Wonder where he got that idea??:poke::Cheer:

I'll blame you if it doesn't work then LOL.

Back