Custom 12mm VE coming soon!

nicee!!! get her goin!

I agree with whoever in this thread said even just new parts in a VE nets you alot of extra POWAH

It'll be a few more weeks. I'm trying to coordinate my days off with my dad's so that I have an extra set of hands. I don't wanna drop that woodruff key in the timing case!

Weeks!?!?!? You sound like me. If I remember right the key is in the 5 o'clock position when at top dead center. I've never had a loose one that wanted to fall. Do you have a timing tool?

I don't have a timing tool. Giles gave me the rundown on install. Said to ignore all timing marks on the case or pump itself. With the engine locked at #1 TDC, put the pump in, hand tighten the gear nut, tighten the 3 nuts holding the pump to the case and finally torque the gear nut.

I just advanced my pump until it popped under load, then backed it off just to the point where the popping stopped. It still popps if I wrap it with the clutch in, but it runs really strong under load.

Take the timing cover off so you can jump a tooth and not have to worry about dropping the key!

On my VE engine in my F-350, I have the IP gear advanced 2 teeth. If you happen to knock the key out, remove the vac/ps pump and you might get lucky as I've had them fall down there before. Good luck on your goal. I need to get my Stage II fuel pin in mine and get it back to 35psi boost. I'd be happy with 300hp in mine. Don't want to kill the ZF5! LOL

I plan to leave the static timing where it's at and let the dynamic timing Giles got out of it work its magic.

Well as of right now, I have all the Swagelok fittings to go with the stainless fuel lines for the Airdog 165. I'm starting night-shift on the 11th so this coming Sunday is going to be the day for everything. It's gonna be a lot of work but I should be able to have it all done if I get a good, early start.

Any words of encouragement from anyone experienced in pump removal and installation? This will be my first attempt at removing and installing a pump and as far as the woodruff key goes, I haven't heard of very many instances of them falling out. However, I don't want to become one of the experienced few. I think I'll tackle the pump swap first thing since it's probably the most difficult task compared to the Airdog.

What other advice can some provide? Would removing the high pressure lines entirely make things easier? Can the gear nut be loosened and torqued while the pump gear is pinned at TDC without breaking the pin?

3/4" OD (5/8" ID) is quite large but should keep the Airdog happier and maybe even quieter than 1/2" OD (7/16" ID). :evil

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
I don't know if I will be around but if I am I can come lend a hand if you want. Just shoot me a text to remind me.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

Cool. Thanks, G! I'll be here all day and my dad has the day off too. You can stop by if you're free.

Go with a 66 if your trying to break 500. That size of turbo will get you there much quicker.

Work has begun. I pulled the intake, fan and shroud, throttle linkage and bracket to get a little head start for Sunday. Plan on getting a little further ahead tomorrow after I get home from work. The plan is to get the VE in first and then take care of the Airdog, sump and fuel lines.

Of course, here's the wrench that may or may not interfere with my plans. I ordered a billet tappet cover last weekend, it was sent out Monday morning via UPS and the scheduled delivery date was today (Friday, the 4th). I just so happened to check the tracking on it earlier this morning and, to my surprise, it had for some reason been rescheduled to Monday, the 6th. I certainly wasn't pleased with this change! I called customer service to inform them of my displeasure and that I NEED this package. I also mentioned that I had ordered this particular product in plenty of time for it to arrive BEFORE Sunday. I put the ball in their court asking "What can brown do for me now? I need this package by no later than tomorrow!" The last update was a departure scan on Wednesday at 3:23am. The woman said that there's a chance it will arrive in Cerritos (which, luckily, is just up the street from me) tomorrow morning. Their pick-up facility is open from 10am-1pm.

So now, I'm banking on this thing to show up anytime before 1pm tomorrow afternoon. Luckily, I have Monday and Tuesday off this coming week. But I'd still rather have everything done in one day so that I can have another day or 2 to troubleshoot any problems, if any arise.

UPS bastards! :homo:

Last edited:
And the one little thing I forget about until late last night... A new pump-to-timing case gasket. Now I just need to locate and buy one. :doh: I've tried searching the local auto parts store's websites but can only find them in gasket sets. I don't wanna pay $110 for a Fel-Pro gasket set only to use one and have the rest sit around. Not to mention, they're Fel-Pro. I can't seem to locate one anywhere so far. I'm going to give Cummins a try even though I'm not sure if they're parts dept. is open on weekends. Other than making one, (if I have a piece of gasket material big enough) anybody know where I can find one on a weekend?

An update on the tappet cover. It arrived in Vernon last night at 9:45. I'm hoping that means it's arrive in Cerritos long before 1pm.

Last edited:
Yep, plans postponed a bit. I have no but to wait until Monday for delivery of the tappet cover. F**KERS! :mad: :nail:

Call Clarks auto, I think it's in Bellflower. On clark just north of the 91. They can usually get anything and at great prices too. Otherwise you're stuck with calling Cummins. Or if you want, Team C racing is across from Clarks and they probably have a big enough thing of gasket material.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

Everything's coming together! Completed the sump install on Sunday and started plumbing the suction and return for the Airdog later in the evening. Pulled the original VE and tappet cover and installed the custom VE and billet tappet cover last night. All that's left to do as of right now is plumb the supply line from the Airdog to the VE. You guys will get some eye candy here pretty soon. Sit tight!

Back