Custom radiator

it just travels further faster...same amount of exposure. It might work better for another reason...but why? Its not for the reason you so confidently stated...lol.

Heres a quick drawing explaining what i did,
radiator.jpg

You take the height of the core and divide it into 3rds , in this case its around 30".
Block the inlet tank at 10" from top and outlet tank at 10" from bottom and it force feeds every ounce of coolant through every inch of the core witch means its in the core longer and cools more efficiently. Im gonna pick up a infrared heat gun and do some inlet/outlet tests before and after to see how much better it really is.

it just travels further faster...same amount of exposure. It might work better for another reason...but why? Its not for the reason you so confidently stated...lol.

Not gonna argue, but it doesn't travel faster. It DOES travel further. This has been around for years and years, actually made "The Ark" run cooler! It's kinda the opposite of all these people installing these high volume water pumps and then can't figure out why their engine runs hotter. It DOES slow the cooling pass time down some, which in turn cools better. Cooling is more efficient the longer the coolant stays in the radiator and is not determined by water pump flow. Same water pump on 2 different engines, 1 flows through a 1/2" orifice and the other flows through a 2" orifice.......is pump output directly proportional?

WUnderwood - the radiator had leaky tanks , got it for free and the alum. i have layin around , all i have had to buy is 2' of 2" pipe witch cost 17$ so thats where im at right now. LOL

how much $$ do you have in it? Just curious

Zack can answer as to exact cost, but just the cost of a few pieces of aluminum to build the tanks and a couple pieces of pipe for inlet/outlets. It's the stock core so just the time involved to heliarc, and the required amount of beer for the job. Zack will be doing some uber scientific thermal detection tests soon.

The pass through the core of the radiator is not the restriction...so its a 2inch vs 2inch comparison here. If it didd indeed take longer for the coolant to pass through...it would also take the coolant longer to pass through the block since its a fixed volume. So any additional cooling exposure due to time would be offset with equal exposure to heat.

It may work better...but it is not because of a change in mass flow rate....more likely due to a more uniform flow throughout the entire radiator...ie...less stagnant spots.

The pass through the core of the radiator is not the restriction...so its a 2inch vs 2inch comparison here. If it didd indeed take longer for the coolant to pass through...it would also take the coolant longer to pass through the block since its a fixed volume. So any additional cooling exposure due to time would be offset with equal exposure to heat.

It may work better...but it is not because of a change in mass flow rate....more likely due to a more uniform flow throughout the entire radiator...ie...less stagnant spots.

While I do see and understand your point, I'm gonna have to go with the info from the performance radiator shops. Although, if you'll PM me your cell number, we'll be sure to consult with you when we start on my core.

I see what you are discussing, and tend to agree.

Also, yes, the fluid DOES travel faster through the actual tubes.... since the core is divided into 3 sections, the average flow velocity is effectively tripled through the core. Velocity at inlet and outlet nipples remains constant. ALSO, flow velocity can be too high or too low for a designed heat exchanger - this is relative to Log Mean Temperature Difference.

Last edited:
Mass flow is not just a function of velocity...its a function of volume(or mass) and velocity. It stays the same...X gallon per minute in....X gallons per minute out at a constant rpm.

There is an ideal amount of exposure time...faster is not always better.

Did you ever end up testing if this cooled better than a radiator in the stock configuration?

Back