Custom radiator

Just bought a TIG welder, really wanting to do this. Any updates, or how did it work for you??

Its working great, i have no temps , need to buy a temp gun. On a 54 mile trip from work to home avg 70-75 mph i cant barley touch upper hose its so hot but can hold my hand on lower hose so its cooling alot better than stock radiator! I'll stop and get a temp gun and get some hard data for you guys

Thanks man!! I'm hoping to do this when I build my compound setup to help supply my W/A with cooler liquid by pulling off lower hose. So would 1/8" suffice do you think?

1/8" is what i used for tanks and its plenty stout, you could go a little thinner if you wanted to.Ill try and pick up a temp gun and get some temps.

Any update n this? I just got my radiator in the mail and am about to do this. Any issues with pressure?

I see what you are discussing, and tend to agree.

Also, yes, the fluid DOES travel faster through the actual tubes.... since the core is divided into 3 sections, the average flow velocity is effectively tripled through the core. Velocity at inlet and outlet nipples remains constant. ALSO, flow velocity can be too high or too low for a designed heat exchanger - this is relative to Log Mean Temperature Difference.

hmmm wonder if I should run a HTRI simulation to see what happens to a single pass Hx when I turn it into a three pass Hx...

would bet the increase in velocity thru the tubes does indeed increase the heat rejection ability...

I was under the impression that you needed to obtain enough velocity to produce turbulence to increase heat exchange. So an increase in turbulence or velocity shouldn't hurt, except demand more pressure is all.

hmmm wonder if I should run a HTRI simulation to see what happens to a single pass Hx when I turn it into a three pass Hx...

would bet the increase in velocity thru the tubes does indeed increase the heat rejection ability...

Please run a simulation, I'd be glad to see the results!

Please run a simulation, I'd be glad to see the results!

ok, need some info

Water Pump Flowrate
Radiator core tube size and wall thickness
# of tubes in core
type of finning between the tubes (number and thickness of the fins)
# of tubes per pass
Length of tubes
air inlet temp
air flow rate

I was under the impression that you needed to obtain enough velocity to produce turbulence to increase heat exchange. So an increase in turbulence or velocity shouldn't hurt, except demand more pressure is all.

yep!!!

so, looks like velocity went up by a factor of 3 on the tube side...so pressure drop went up by a factor of 8

So if pressure goes up on the inlet side by a factor of 8? I wonder what the delta P currently is on a stock radiator. If its like 10psi already, that would then be 80 psi according to your math. That seems really extreme. How does the tanks on each end affect it? Being as a huge increase in volume compared to the tubes themselves. If pressure goes up by 8 times, how much does flow go done considering we are using a factory water pump which is of the centrifugal design. I was under the impression they flow around 50gpm stock? Maybe I should test each radiators delta P when I go to swap them?

I can get those numbers for you. I am currently working on mine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367895152.429404.jpg

ok, need some info

Water Pump Flowrate
Radiator core tube size and wall thickness
# of tubes in core
type of finning between the tubes (number and thickness of the fins)
# of tubes per pass
Length of tubes
air inlet temp
air flow rate

LOL If I had enough energy to gather all that info, I'd just run the simulation myself!

I predict only seeing an improvement at higher speeds...lower speeds will suffer.

Nice fab work!

So if pressure goes up on the inlet side by a factor of 8? I wonder what the delta P currently is on a stock radiator. If its like 10psi already, that would then be 80 psi according to your math. That seems really extreme. How does the tanks on each end affect it? Being as a huge increase in volume compared to the tubes themselves. If pressure goes up by 8 times, how much does flow go done considering we are using a factory water pump which is of the centrifugal design. I was under the impression they flow around 50gpm stock? Maybe I should test each radiators delta P when I go to swap them?

I can get those numbers for you. I am currently working on mine.
View attachment 43201

I would not expect more than 0.25 to 0.5 psi drop across the radiator...

Back