Śhitty compounds!

Are those numbers with the spring gate? Those spring gate work off drive pressure correct? Are you able to tell what dp the spring gate is opening at?

Sent from my DROID X2

Those numbers are with the diaphragm gate and no I don't have a drive pressure gauge. Soon I'm gonna year it apart and make some changes.

I've been playing with different springs that I've added to the diaphragm type gate. The DP compounded by the boost pressure to open the gate is to much force, opening the gate to soon. So i just tried different throttle type springs to combat DP until it ran decent. Don't know if thats helpful but thought I'd mention it. Wish i knew what my DP was, i gotta pull mine apart and make changes as well.

Sent from my DROID X2

It's endless right? I have a spring gate now and it's fairly tight for daily driving, I only have a week and a half to get this thing ready for the dyno.

I've been playing with different springs that I've added to the diaphragm type gate. The DP compounded by the boost pressure to open the gate is to much force, opening the gate to soon. So i just tried different throttle type springs to combat DP until it ran decent. Don't know if thats helpful but thought I'd mention it. Wish i knew what my DP was, i gotta pull mine apart and make changes as well.

Sent from my DROID X2

Hey what size turbine housing are you running on the 62?

Thank you for explaining that to me. I do appreciate that very much.

You are the only one that stated to tighten the gate and drive the secondary harder. I have had three other people tell me to open the gate sooner and drive primary harder.

Also, how do you like the HT4B?

I think it works great with the 64. It takes a decent amount of fuel to light but once it does it's a beast. I think you would like it with your secondary and injectors.

IMO not as quick as i hoped for. Im the only one on this island with twins (that i know of). No diesel performance shops here. No dyno. Just me and the butt dyno. By around 1600rpm I'm around 10 pounds and start hearing the 475 spool. Then somewhere around 2-2200 i'm at 20+ psi. Thats when it really takes off and hits 60- (haven't broke out of 60)
Instantly and then holds around 55. Thats just daily driving hitting the throttle at around 40. From a dead stop its basicly instant boost and hold on. I do have a boost leak where the 62 comp housing bolts to the mid section. And no DP gauge yet. NEVER ENDING!
Sent from my DROID X2

You are the only one that stated to tighten the gate and drive the secondary harder. I have had three other people tell me to open the gate sooner and drive primary harder.

I have been tuning my compounds for some time now and have tested/charted every WG setting imaginable and all of my testing shows to drive the secondary harder resulting in significantly lower EGT's, higher boost, but really high DP's..

My chargers are HE351/Aurora 5K with the 351 internal WG ported out to 1.1"... I'm using AFE's new WG actuator, I set it to start moving @ 45lbs and about 1/4 to 3/8 opened @ 50lbs and full open @ 60lbs... With those settings on a WOT run 55-60lbs boost, 70-80lbs DP and EGT's max @ 1350*-1400* With the latest TNT-R release SW3, TQ3, TM3, RP3...

Until the WG opens somewhere in the mid 50's the secondaries maximum boost was only 14lbs then drops off to about 3lbs when the WG maxed out..

I could never understand how the EGT's could be so low when pushing the secondary charger harder (guess it's not really that much harder is it).. On a WOT run EGT's never would go above 1200* (more like 1100*) boost over 60lbs and drive pressure would go over 100lbs if I stayed in it.. I have had several people tell me to bring the primary on sooner but EGT's would be to hot and DP would stay closer to 1:1 ratios..

So, which is better? Lower EGT's or Lower DP's?

This is the first I have mentioned my findings and was going to post it on "tuning twins" thread some day..

I honestly think 60psi boost and 80psi drive would be very acceptable on a WOT run. Your not always at WOT and therefore the drive would be lower right? Also I would rather not have to look at EGT's and have a 1.3 drive to boost ratio.

I have been tuning my compounds for some time now and have tested/charted every WG setting imaginable and all of my testing shows to drive the secondary harder resulting in significantly lower EGT's, higher boost, but really high DP's..

My chargers are HE351/Aurora 5K with the 351 internal WG ported out to 1.1"... I'm using AFE's new WG actuator, I set it to start moving @ 45lbs and about 1/4 to 3/8 opened @ 50lbs and full open @ 60lbs... With those settings on a WOT run 55-60lbs boost, 70-80lbs DP and EGT's max @ 1350*-1400* With the latest TNT-R release SW3, TQ3, TM3, RP3...

Until the WG opens somewhere in the mid 50's the secondaries maximum boost was only 14lbs then drops off to about 3lbs when the WG maxed out..

I could never understand how the EGT's could be so low when pushing the secondary charger harder (guess it's not really that much harder is it).. On a WOT run EGT's never would go above 1200* (more like 1100*) boost over 60lbs and drive pressure would go over 100lbs if I stayed in it.. I have had several people tell me to bring the primary on sooner but EGT's would be to hot and DP would stay closer to 1:1 ratios..

So, which is better? Lower EGT's or Lower DP's?

This is the first I have mentioned my findings and was going to post it on "tuning twins" thread some day..

I do appreciate your reply. I finally got a .70AR housing to swap on.

If you can drive your secondary harder you can increase your lb/min not confused with cfm. I say drive them both as hard as you can without pushing them out of their maps. That's what you would do with a single so why not twins. Your going to have higher DPs when driving your secondary harder because it's demanding more shaft horsepower to recompress the already compressed air from the primary, consequently your lb/min should be higher so lower egts. Maybe this goes to show DPs don't affect egts as much as lb/min?

I drove the truck for about 5 miles yesterday with the new 12cm housing on the secondary. It's spools extremely well and seems to cut out all the smoke. I had a small miss with a fuel leak, so it torn back apart till I get the correct coppers.

Back