1972 Chevy K30 Longhorn Cummins Build

It's time for a long past due update on this thing. I've done a lot to it in the last year, but not enough. Last year the trans had issues and I yanked it in August. I got busy helping with harvest etc, and didn't get the trans to the shop until October. I got it back in November and put it in in May. I also had Phil at DPC change this TC from a V10/V10 to a low stall diesel triple disc TC. I also had to fix an oil leak on the engine. It wasn't a big one, just annoyed me more than anything. I pulled the pan and engine adapter and found the cam soft plug was leaking. Big fun there. LOL There's never enough time. But, I did get a lot of things done to it in the mean time that needed to be done. I got the new seat belts 80% installed. I have to make a new mounting bracket for the center seat belt to finish that. I also got the speakers installed, wired them, and got the radio wired. Wired in the wiper motor, ran wires for the cargo light and third brake light too. I got the turn signals and brake lights working, waiting for a new flasher for the hazards. I rebuilt the front end, replaced the front leaf springs, u bolts, calipers, brake hoses, and wheel studs. I also added 1.5" spacers to the front to bring the front tires out to match the rears.

Attachments

• Longhorntrndown.jpg
    Longhorntrndown.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornaxlemess.jpg
    Longhornaxlemess.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • LonghornLHD60.jpg
    LonghornLHD60.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornfrontsprings.jpg
    Longhornfrontsprings.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I finally got my catch can/breather installed. Installed my air compressor and air tank. I made a temporary box to house all the stuff for the air ride. I ended up going with a little larry touche' valve. It works really fast. I also got front shocks on it. I got some billet door handles for it and got them put on too. I've got about 5 big things I need to do to it and then it can be left alone and be driven. Last weekend we took it to good guys in Des Moines and put some miles on the truck. It's nice to be able to drive it again.

Attachments

• Longhorncontrolcenter.jpg
    Longhorncontrolcenter.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornairmanagement.jpg
    Longhornairmanagement.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornairtank.jpg
    Longhornairtank.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornaircomp.jpg
    Longhornaircomp.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornbreather.jpg
    Longhornbreather.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RHbillet.jpg
    RHbillet.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • LHbillet.jpg
    LHbillet.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornfrontdiff.jpg
    Longhornfrontdiff.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornunderhood.jpg
    Longhornunderhood.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • LonghornRHs.jpg
    LonghornRHs.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • seatbelt.jpg
    seatbelt.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhor.jpg
    Longhor.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Long.jpg
    Long.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 72wipers.jpg
    72wipers.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 72radio.jpg
    72radio.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sill.jpg
    sill.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 72lockouts.jpg
    72lockouts.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Some more pictures of it.

Attachments

• LonghornGG2016.jpg
    LonghornGG2016.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhorngoodguys2016.jpg
    Longhorngoodguys2016.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornkids.jpg
    Longhornkids.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornallyson.jpg
    Longhornallyson.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
I still need to finish this truck but I have been using it. I should have the front drive shaft back next week. Hoping to take it on a big trip in a couple months. We'll see because it's going to get busier in 3-4 weeks.

Attachments

• 72Longhorntrailer.jpg
    72Longhorntrailer.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
How does that Compushift work? I bought on for my project. You like it?

Tobin

Update on this. I had the compushift working but it started doing goofy stuff. I need to take the time and see if I have a bad TPS, or I just need to get my PPM perfect. I got a lot done to it last week. I finally almost have all my heater duct work in behind the dash. I had to replace the heater core and while I was doing that I replaced the blower motor. I finally got my cargo light wired, wired in my 3rd brake light, installed my led head lights, and got some other wiring done. (The pic of the head lights has the LH led and a halogen in the RH side) I need to install the pyro, boost gauges, trans temp, and my gps speedo for the dakota digital gauges if I can ever find where I hid it. bif The last pic is of my 2 boys. They said they wanted to help out and were under the truck with their new flash lights. Then they wanted rags to clean it off. I let them carry on. :hehe:

Attachments

• Longhornblowermtr.jpg
    Longhornblowermtr.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • longhorn3rdbrake.jpg
    longhorn3rdbrake.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • longhorncargo.jpg
    longhorncargo.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Longhornled.jpg
    Longhornled.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boysworking.jpg
    Boysworking.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
What headlights did you get? I want to get a set. Looking at the $100 China eBay specials.

I can't remember what brand they are. I got them from an old friend in Oklahoma that sells them. I will get the info and let you know. They are nice quality and weren't much over $100 if I remember correctly.

I've been daily driving this thing for a week and it's been doing great. I've put 500 miles on it and it's getting 16.8-17.5mpg. I've still got a lot to do to it but for now, I'm going to use it.

Attachments

• Ba.jpg
    Ba.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Field.jpg
    Field.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 0
  • Field1.jpg
    Field1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back