2.6 Drivetrain Issues (pullers chime in)

I would like to see a 2.6 class with singles. Singles can hook probably just as good as duals if someone wants to put the time and effort into the chassis set up.

$8k for a 1ton rear sounds like somebody is getting robbed!

600hp trucks will break drive line parts.

The notion of not allowing duals is a tough pill to swallow, even when proposed in the 2.5" class.

That it is and sure i will get flamed for saying this but let say rule for duals would change to say must be stock size tire for that year and make of truck cause big tires in the rear for duals just looks dumb to me and if your going to use 12inch wide tires you have to hack up the truck to make the 102wide most times.

Define Reciever hitch...ive seen more than enough turn buckles and pivot points on 2.6 hitches latley and guys justify it by welding a peice of recevier tubing to the end of it from tractor supply. but this is a argument in itself! BTW i know of atleast one!

Yup, take a mod class hitch, put a 2" receiver on it, Bingo! "Reese Style".

It would be interesting to see the drw rule go away in 2.6. I guess if they change it we would all adapt. Gosh it would be pretty hard and expensive to make that change.

Since the rules are the way they are, any more input on the ring and pinion issue?

Several options out there, and the 3 most discussed are:

Do nothing: Guys already spent big bucks on protrusion chargers, Water cooled intercoolers, high dollar spools and axles, injectors, tranny, upgraded u-joints/driveshafts, etc. So what if power creeps up and guys go through 8 ring and pinions a year. If you can't afford it, don't pull.......:poke:

Go open rear: Take all the money you spent on upgrading your OEM axle and toss it (because the guys your are competing against are going to have to go open as well to compete), so you can go spend money on a military axle that needs upgrades as well (Gasser guys sometimes need to upgrade certain military axles as they are not always bulletproof, but the ring and pinion should be OK).

Do away with duals: Most guys already spent the money on upgraded spool and axles, dropping two tires from that axle should help the ring and pinion survive and if everything else survived the duals, they should be unbreakable running singles (barring hopping), plus you won't have the guys running tires completely outside the bedsides which some people think looks cool or mean, but MANY people say looks stupid or :homo: (and two less tires to buy....saving money). For guys that already have 6 tires, they now have two good spares :hehe: or can sell them for $$$

From the outside looking in (I don't run 2.6), it would seem dropping duals would be the best all-around option for the masses (as people are adamantly against dropping power.....and if your read my past posts, predicted this scenario because of it). Just about every gas truck and most tractor classes I know of, only allow one rear tire, so it's not like it's anything new. They learned to make it work (maybe diesel guys aren't as smart or innovative.....:poke:). It doesn't cost the guys who are running duals anything (they have all they need to run singles), and for the new guy it's two less tires, and no need for custom backspaced wheels, and high dollar (in some cases) spacers.

The only problem it creates is those who depended on the duals for traction will be behind the game trying to dial in their suspension to hook singles.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see the drw rule go away in 2.6. I guess if they change it we would all adapt. Gosh it would be pretty hard and expensive to make that change. Since the rules are the way they are, any more input on the ring and pinion issue?

I'm ASSuming that was sarcasm? If not why would it be hard or expensive..? I'm thinking just the opposite.

I'm ASSuming that was sarcasm? If not why would it be hard or expensive..? I'm thinking just the opposite.

Yes that was my attempt at keyboard sarcasm.

Another option could be dropping weight in the class. Since I think people have finally gotten over 2.6 being a "street" class and most of the trucks who pull in ppl are sripped down. I know we could drop down to 7500 easy.

Yes that was my attempt at keyboard sarcasm.

Another option could be dropping weight in the class. Since I think people have finally gotten over 2.6 being a "street" class and most of the trucks who pull in ppl are sripped down. I know we could drop down to 7500 easy.

While less weight is less stress at the far end of the track, less weight can lead to bouncing which is a drivetrain killer (especially with the hook of duals on the rear and less weight up front).

A little apples to oranges, but pulling my gasser at 6800lbs I NEVER hop, but at 6200 I have trouble keeping it planted depending on track conditions.

Not that dropping weight is a terrible idea (should be easy for most to do), but that sometimes weight helps keep you planted especially if you have power and ability to hook the rear.

Maybe drop the duals AND the weight.....that would really determine who has done their homework.

Last edited:
So after 10 pages in the 2.5" class thread a compromise may have been reached of 265mm duals or a 315mm single, and there is an assumption the 2.6" guys will roll over on allowing duals?

I agree that a single tire would be the cheapest and easiest fix, and I'd also like whomever gets that passed to help me sell some local ocean front property. I see gas trucks stacking tires in the back out East in FPP, be interesting to see this shake out.

I see gas trucks stacking tires in the back out East in FPP, be interesting to see this shake out.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out with their drivelines.
I'm not sure about FPP, but I know there are some groups that pull gas and diesel together and the gassers were whining that the diesels could run duals and they couldn't, so they started allowing duals on gassers (bad idea in my opinion, but to each their own).

I guess time will tell, but it's already speaking loudly in other places....

Who says anything needs to change? Im looking forward to building a all out dana 80 this winter and keeping the one under my truck as a spare. Rockwells really are not any cheaper. They still break. And the cost of good parts will put you in that 8k range.

On a side note...I didnt see any rule that said you couldnt run tracks

Nothing has to change but I would like to see in the future cepecks on 3.0 trucks and I don't believe the 31 inch tire will survive at 8000 pounds. At 31 inches I would run out of gears in my dropbox before I could get back to my ground speed mph. A F106 rockwell setup right would survive under a 2.6 truck. I ran one under my truck as a unlimited single and 3.0 in stock form till I up graded it to the 172. Eventually like all other classes progression takes over when parts are readily broke. There is no right answer and I don't even really know if there is really a need to change anything at this point. I've heard a lot less complaining about breakage this year then years prior and not sure why. Maybe everybody has really stepped up there drivelines or maybe the sled operators have learned not to slam the door on these trucks at the end of the track but instead make it a gradual progression. I know in the beginning they would let you haul azz and the drop the hammer at the end blowing a lot of rear ends

Also says DOT tires. Tracks won't pass DOT

Last edited:
Nothing has to change but I would like to see in the future cepecks on 3.0 trucks and I don't believe the 31 inch tire will survive at 8000 pounds. At 31 inches I would run out of gears in my dropbox before I could get back to my ground speed mph. A F106 rockwell setup right would survive under a 2.6 truck. I ran one under my truck as a unlimited single and 3.0 in stock form till I up graded it to the 172. Eventually like all other classes progression takes over when parts are readily broke. There is no right answer and I don't even really know if there is really a need to change anything at this point. I've heard a lot less complaining about breakage this year then years prior and not sure why. Maybe everybody has really stepped up there drivelines or maybe the sled operators have learned not to slam the door on these trucks at the end of the track but instead make it a gradual progression. I know in the beginning they would let you haul azz and the drop the hammer at the end blowing a lot of rear ends

Also says DOT tires. Tracks won't pass DOT

I think the folks loosing axles and ring and pinions have just grown accustomed to it. Also it is the typical issue, guys that have the tight tracks, big power, and/or get some hop are the ones that wipe them out. You see very little breakage on the areas that have dust and sand for tracks. I have also seen varying opinions of the definition of good tight tracks. LOL

Stupid question, it's been said that I can go find F106s on the cheap, but I don't see any gear ratios that even come close to anything I can get for the GM 9.25 IFS....so WTF? If it means solid front axle conversion and a $5k hopped up Dana 60, I'll start selling my shyt tomorrow if this is the insanity people want to go to.

What about the guys that have a factory dually????? Now we have to change everything on our truck??? We can't help all you SRW guys are jealous of our duals and want to be cool like us :)

Stupid question, it's been said that I can go find F106s on the cheap, but I don't see any gear ratios that even come close to anything I can get for the GM 9.25 IFS....so WTF? If it means solid front axle conversion and a $5k hopped up Dana 60, I'll start selling my shyt tomorrow if this is the insanity people want to go to.

Should be able to get 5.13s for a 9.25 and a 106. No?

What about the guys that have a factory dually????? Now we have to change everything on our truck??? We can't help all you SRW guys are jealous of our duals and want to be cool like us :)

Kind of funny you mention that, about a month ago i was talking to a guy that pulled gas mod trucks years ago. He had come to an event to watch the pulls, asking a few questions about the diesels rules and such. Then he asked me why we let the dually pull. He flat out said, "i can't believe you guys let that bull **** fly". Seeing as how duallys were universally disallowed in truck pulling years ago, at what point did they start working into the ranks?

Hardly! Factory dually is what caused all the dual wheel stuff, had they made the whinners pull a tire off we would be so much farther ahead . You can put a single wheel on a dually, i did years ago and if any one says but it makes my truck look dumb im goig to ban you on the spot. I dont give a crap what your truck looks like. A flare means nothing in pulling. If i had a dime every time i heard somebody say that i would be at SDX running in the mod class tonight with a mod truck!

Last edited:
Back