2 stage/dual stage water to air for a daily driver

For the 1 person that might care, I got the radiator pulled so I can get it fixed, but the holiday means the one repair shop I know of is closed. Otherwise, All I have to do is hook up the water lines and run the ground wire to the switch in the cab for the water pump.

Tonight we got the isolator, rear battery, and water pump all wired up. All run off one switch. Now I can hook up the trailer winch in the bed for convenience. Just have to get the radiator in and run the hose to the coolers from the bed.

Before I forget, the water is supposed to be pushed up through the heat exchangers right? It can't flow down on it's own?

Let me rephrase that question:

The heat exchanger has the inlet and outlet on the same side. Should I push the water uphill or downhill through it?

Supposedly better heat transfer when you force the water up through the exchanger against gravity. Makes sense in my mind

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

The aftercooler on my 855 forces the engine coolant uphill through the cooler.

I am going to now run ice water through the stock after cooler, originally I was going to run the ice water from the top down. Thinking that gravity would help me, making less work for the pump. But after looking at a coolant flow schematic, the coolant flows from the bottom to the top, so I'm going to pump my ice water in the same direction Cummins pumps the coolant.

The only reason I can see this being more effective is that the coolant has more time in the aftercooler allowing for more heat transfer.

Come on guys. Heat transfer has zero to do with what direction the fluid is moving relative to the earth!

Typically it's pushed uphill to help bleed air bubbles out.

Come on guys. Heat transfer has zero to do with what direction the fluid is moving relative to the earth!

Typically it's pushed uphill to help bleed air bubbles out.

I'm not worried about a few air bubbles. I'm more worried about keeping flow as high as possible.

I'm not worried about a few air bubbles. I'm more worried about keeping flow as high as possible.

Practically the direction is meaningless....in a closed loop it's not going to matter where the pump is, you're either "lifting" it on the input side of the IC or "lifting" it back to the tank. The sum of all the rises and falls is zero.

You're overthinking it by a mile.

Practically the direction is meaningless....in a closed loop it's not going to matter where the pump is, you're either "lifting" it on the input side of the IC or "lifting" it back to the tank. The sum of all the rises and falls is zero.

You're overthinking it by a mile.

Thats what I thought. But a few people have told me keep it lowest point in the system. I figured maybe it was for priming or something.

A few people also thought the earth was flat.

When you say "it," you mean the pump, or the IC?

If you mean the pump, sure, it typically maximizes the pump output when the inlet has some amount of head pressure to it (and of course, the feed line is suitably sized to not be a restriction when it's fired up).

The IC does not "have to be" anywhere in particular. On the Scheid truck it sits right beside the driver, and several others run that setup successfully. Tons of gasser drag cars do.

Why is it not commonplace in the aftermarket to run shunt lines to vent gas? Just no expectation for bubble formation?

Squeaky Wheel

Oh. I've been trying to figure out how to get the air out of the cores. My exchangers have some little bleeder valves.

I may thread and tap something like a brake caliper bleeder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oh. I've been trying to figure out how to get the air out of the cores. My exchangers have some little bleeder valves.

I may thread and tap something like a brake caliper bleeder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It may not be necessary for some reason or another. I was hoping one of the experienced ones would know.

Squeaky Wheel

It's all back together, but the pump won't push water up to the heat exchangers. I have the valves open to help bleed air out. The current routing of the lines is

pump-->exchanger-->IC-->tank

I have a video of the lines and how I've routed them. I've triple checked for kinks, can't find any. I know the pump is flowing now because I unhooked the high pressure side and she sprays pretty good.

Is it just too much for 1 pump to push it all through? This is the pump I'm using. http://cvrproducts.com/pump-assembly/
I wish I could use something like a big gph fuel pump LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7hi5Z_KYo

Last edited:
Back