2 stage/dual stage water to air for a daily driver

okay, now if I have it running in the closed-loop with nothing but a tank, I can unhook the high pressure side and hold my thumb over and it feels just like trying to plug a garden hose. so there must be some kind of pressure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What kind of flow are you realistically needing? Maybe a smaller diameter hose would help with this particular pump. It would reduce the flow, but at the same time it would also reduce the pressure loss. Or maybe you just need to find a high pressure pump.. Have you tried plugging the end of that hose when you turn the pump on? See if it builds any pressure on you or just gives up?

Well I'll be dipped in dog **** and hung out to dry. I reversed the flow through the system, so it starts off by pumping uphill exchanger-->cooler-->exchanger-->cooler-->open ended

And it pumps like a mother****er. I don't get fluid/liquid physics at all apparently. WTF

Can you unbolt the coolers and fill them with the pump, with the coolers below the pump and tank (ie. if the tank and pump are attached to the bumper, drop the cooler to the ground and once filled, crimp the discharge off with a rag and a pair of vice grips.)

EDIT: Well you got it!

So your discharge leaves the pump and goes to the highest point in the system first, correct?

Last edited:
What kind of flow are you realistically needing? Maybe a smaller diameter hose would help with this particular pump. It would reduce the flow, but at the same time it would also reduce the pressure loss. Or maybe you just need to find a high pressure pump.. Have you tried plugging the end of that hose when you turn the pump on? See if it builds any pressure on you or just gives up?

Read the posts above you.

And smaller hose would be more pressure, not good for a water pump. Flow drops ridiculous fast as pressure increases.

Well I'll be dipped in dog **** and hung out to dry. I reversed the flow through the system, so it starts off by pumping uphill exchanger-->cooler-->exchanger-->cooler-->open ended

And it pumps like a mother****er. I don't get fluid/liquid physics at all apparently. WTF

So it didn't do shi* going cooler-exchanger-cooler-exchanger, but now its flowing good as exchanger-cooler-exchanger-cooler?? Wtf?

Awesome.
I was just saying to hook a water hose to the circuit and make sure everything was flowing. It will build 80 psi at no flow off the tap.

Squeaky Wheel

So it didn't do shi* going cooler-exchanger-cooler-exchanger, but now its flowing good as exchanger-cooler-exchanger-cooler?? Wtf?

Now the flow starts at the lowest point in the system (2nd exchanger) and flows uphill the whole way, instead of pumping to the highest point (1st cooler) first and flowing downhill.

Awesome.
I was just saying to hook a water hose to the circuit and make sure everything was flowing. It will build 80 psi at no flow off the tap.

Squeaky Wheel

Oh ok LOL Thats what I did last night to make sure there were no blockages.

Now I just have to see what this pump will take temperature wise, before I hook it up getting fed by hot water fresh out of the exchanger.

EDIT: Went back through some emails with CVR, pump should do 55gpm @ 9psi @ 250*, but the motor will take higher temps. I think I'll leave it like it is, and try to mount the tank under the hood on top of the passenger cooler.

Last edited:
So, there is come truth to it flowing backwards like that. That is the way my 855 flows coolant through the after cooler, from the lowest point to the highest point.

Now that you have things working are you going to go back to your original layout and try it?

So, there is come truth to it flowing backwards like that. That is the way my 855 flows coolant through the after cooler, from the lowest point to the highest point.

Now that you have things working are you going to go back to your original layout and try it?

No, i already cut up the hose, and i really don't think adding 45+ ft of hose will help at all lol. But now i have tons of hose sections left to do the tdi with.

When this is all done I'll get a video showing the flow path and little things i had to do to make everything work. All that's left is the intake and mount the overflow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Got it all running, no leaks, and made a trip around the block. Seems to work pretty good. Didn't get on it real hard as its a residential area with 25mph limit and most of the gauges are still unhooked, but the secondary makes awesome boost. Never got the primary lit.

I will get pictures of everything when I can, and will report back with boost/egt/drive readings when I get those gauges hooked back up.

Got some really good runs in tonight. I'd say butt dyno puts it around 800hp. It pulls from 1400rpm until you let off the throttle. The coolers get pretty damn hot though. I'm thinking of running a 2nd pump sooner rather than later.

Do you have temp gauges on both sides of the cooler? What kind of temp drop do you see?

Maybe for better tuning or to get a better idea of how we the system is functioning you could put a water temp gauge in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do plan on getting at least one of those heat reading guns that you just point and shoot for measure in and out for temperature difference. For accurate readings though, theres no way I can run 8 sensors/gauges LOL.

Back