2003-2004 UDC Info

I think using rail psi and rpm is better at locating where you want to make adjustment. What are you using for engine load?

Edge CTS. I try to use all 3 but I need to find a way to keep notes while I drive.

No Smart Phone.. I just talk to my phone using a note app to where I want to adjust.

Great thread! Maybe you early third gen tuners could help a newb out?

Three questions if you don't mind me asking:

Approximately what are your timing splits like on your nastiest 03-04 tunes?
Approximately what is your max timing value?
Do these two pictures represent, approximately, the path you would see when downshifting at 55 mph and passing?

I'm fighting a stutter that my 03 Dually had, which John tuned out for me, but am now experiencing with my wifes 03 Single Wheel. If I mash the throttle at 55, the transmission will downshift and as the RPM's come up under load I will get a massive stutter/pop/whatevertheheck at around 3000 rpm that I was able to tune out by running very low timing. (16* at 2900 rpm)

My splits are really low too. See third picture.

Attachments

• Passing at 55.jpg
    Passing at 55.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Passing at 55_2.jpg
    Passing at 55_2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
  • splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
CJ42: Are you still running the same tune you uploaded earlier in this thread?

No sir. I'm probably don't another 30 prgs since then.

The stuttering at 55 I have experienced as well but I really have to stuff it to do that @55. I was thinking that was my tranny slipping a little. If I know I have to stuff it I turn off overdrive.. So now I need John to chime in to confirm this can be programmed out..

It can be tuned out, if you and I are talking about the same thing. John did it with my Dually, and with some tips from him I've been able to do it with the wife's truck, but I had to turn the timing WAY down. I'm in the process of slowly re-advancing the timing in very select areas to prove out the location of the stutter.

I have a 2004.5 and use the Ultra gauge to monitor load and rpm.

I had a stutter at highway speeds. Watching the ultra gauge I was able to see load and rpm. When I looked at those areas in UDC there were timing values on adjacent cells that had values 5-7 degrees different. Between the cruise and spool area where yellow and red overlap. I smoothed that area out so adjacent cells were not so far apart and my stutter was corrected. I think if truck ends up on the edge of one cell or another if there is a large differences the stutter is ECM changing timing back/forth. Seems like it cannot decide which cell it wants to use.?

Attachments

• UDC timing MAP examples.jpg
    UDC timing MAP examples.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
By the way this stutter I experienced was only at a highway cruise. Not trying to floor it while on highway. Felt like a stutter or miss to me. All is well now.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across that I didn't believe you. I was just hoping John would chime in and maybe give us the effect. What is happening to the engine...
I don't have the stutter then if it's in the cruising area. If I'm going 55mph cruising and just stomp on it sometimes I believe my tranny slips a little. So now I just turn OD off right before I stomp on it then I can turn it back on when I need to do rpm's.

Last edited:
CJ42: Are you still running the same tune you uploaded earlier in this thread?
I had time to like what I'm at. I'm at program 80 so I have made a bunch of changes. I'll have to go back and compare that version to what I'm running now but I know my tq table is much higher now, I am messing with only a few cells in the duration table now and I'm sure I have tweaked my rail pressure in some areas as well.

It's all good, I didn't think that at all.

I've got a new tune to try tonight, if it works ill post up some comparisons.

cj42,
Do you have a rail pressure gauge? I had my truck pop/backfire long ago when loading truck under hard acceleration. I believe I was draining the rail and running out of fuel. Since then I added an arson III to stock CP3 and a little larger injectors and had not had any pops/backfires since doing that. Maybe you are just running out of fuel? Might be calling for a little to much fuel than truck can provide?

Yes I have the pod from my old quad box that shows rail pressure. My rail pressure is fine. I'm pretty sure my issue is my valve body. I'm not to concerned really it does not happen as long as I turn off OD for a second. I'm good.

What are you guys running for timing in the cruise area? 1400 -2000 RPM between 12%-25%? And what are you seeing for MPG? Also rail psi in these areas?
Thanks

Here is the tune I've been running recently in my 03. My mileage is way down, but it spools very fast and EGTs are extremely low. I used a combination of some of the sample tunes posted to get a baseline for rail pressure, splits, and duration, and then used the timing calculator for the timing map. My max split on this tune is 48.2 at 3500rpm and 100%.

Light Towing: In sixth it spooled up to 20psi at 1600rpm accelerating with a 2200lb load uphill. I see a max of around 34-35 psi with the 63/68/12 wastegated - I haven't opened the wastegate all the way up because I only have a 30psi gauge and no studs. Towing up a 4-5 mile 6-7% grade with cruise set at 75mph I didn't exceed 725 post-turbo. Max boost was 29psi. Mileage was 14.23 and 14.61 hand calculated.

Empty: I'm seeing 500 post turbo and 6psi cruising on flat ground at 75mph. Mileage was 17.42 and 17.6 hand calculated.

I still have a good bit of smoke under heavy acceleration at low rpms, but once I pass 2000rpm its clean and smooth all the way to the top.

Ok, and now for my questions...

What are you guys running for splits to get the best mileage on an 03? I used to see over 20mpg with the Smarty Jr at 75mph and would like to get it back over 20.

What about maximizing power? I know rail pressure will get me there, but what is the maximum "safe" limit for the injectors, and are the bodies, internals, or nozzles the limiting factor?

I really need to get a new boost gauge and something to monitor load and rail pressure to properly tune. Has anyone used the Motorsport Diesel Common Rail Monitor, or will an ultra-gauge do just fine for UDC tuning? http://www.motorsportdiesel.com/storename/motorsportdiesel2/ViewDept-277840.aspx

Attachments

• xDiesel_05a_sample.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
Look at the Smarty Jr. tunes you used to run and use those values for your cruise zone. Then adjust as needed at least you will be close to what you were.

I like my ultra gauge. Cheap and it works. With 03's rail pressure won't read with a ultra gauge FYI.

Latest Program

I made the switch to TNT from Revo finally. This is what I am currently running now. Seem pretty clean but its been cold up here in the north east.

Attachments

• TNT_0012_sample.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
I forgot to put the calc sheet in so here is both.

Attachments

• TNT_0012_sample.zip
    256.7 KB · Views: 0
Back