2003-2004 UDC Info

I've got to be missing something, I don't have a load gauge but based on my rail pressure gauge and RPM's, my cruise load is more like 25-31%, not 15. At level cruise around 100-105 km/h I'm seeing 1950 RPMs, boost around 5-7psi, and rail pressures at 15-16k. My rail map looks pretty much the same as you guys but I'm running in a much higher load range, any suggestions?

Don't know why my sig isn't showing. F350 with 03 common rail, Colt stage 3 cam, studs, 90hp DDPs, hd pushrods, 110lb valve springs, intake and custom 5" exhaust, 62mm S300 over HT3B, some insurance hard parts inside. Mated to a Ford ZF6 with SB dd clutch, 3.73 gears and stock height/tire size

Today not of that much.. I normally cruise around 23-25% engine load. You really need to be on a flat level highway for that.. Did you mess with duration down low by chance? If your drop duration in the cruise area that can increase your engine load..

I've got to be missing something, I don't have a load gauge but based on my rail pressure gauge and RPM's, my cruise load is more like 25-31%, not 15. At level cruise around 100-105 km/h I'm seeing 1950 RPMs, boost around 5-7psi, and rail pressures at 15-16k. My rail map looks pretty much the same as you guys but I'm running in a much higher load range, any suggestions?

What are your egt's at cruise? You may want to increase timing a little which should drop temp and boost a little.

EGTs at cruise are between 650 and 800 deg at the manifold, and I've had timing in that area anywhere from 5 deg to 12 deg advanced, haven't seen a significant change in EGTs, boost, or rail pressure through that range. Feels sometimes like I change settings and the truck just ignores me :doh:

I actually increased duration based on AH64ID's relabeled chart throughout the entire load and rail pressure range the truck actually operates in, not a lot but some. I get no haze or smoke at all in normal driving unless I jump on it. Kinda bothers me actually, everyone else is trying to clean up smoke, not that I want smoke but at least it would tell me where I'm at :bang:

Maybe the stage 3 cam wants bigger injectors ....

Last edited:
The duration table is a challenge. The labels help but using John's calculator is the best tool to really show what duration cell effects timing. The compare tab can show you exactly what timing cells are effected buy one cell of duration.

So I had a thought after you mentioned using the compare feature. I used the stock numbers and the reverse calc to get the stock splits for the 03-04 timing map, then used those splits in the calc table and my modified duration and rail pressure numbers to generate a base timing map for my truck that fits the 03-04 trucks, ill run it tomorrow and work off that. Should give me a good base to work from anyway?? Ill let you know how it goes.

I think this is the path through the timing table from a dead stop to WOT.

Last edited:
Might help adding the image file...

Attachments

• WOT_Cell_order.jpg
    WOT_Cell_order.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
3D View of WOT from take off

3D View of WOT from take off

Attachments

• WOT_Cell_order02.jpg
    WOT_Cell_order02.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
Did some playing this weekend trying to clean up some smoke when you lugging the engine. When you at 52 mph still locked up and in OD. It appears to me in my program this area is in the 1200-1600 RPM from 6-%-80% load area's. I dropped my tm down a deg or two and this helped it also allowed me to increase my tq mng a little. This is the cleanest program I had. I am curious what you guys are doing for tq mng and timing in this area? My timing table looks more like stock in this area but have have dropped my timing some and now my max tq mng is at 71%.

I been playing with Duration a little to try to keep the smoke down when lugging the engine. Dropped my timing back to stock in a few cells, dropped timing a little in the 1400-1800 rpm range and increased my rail about 1200-1500 psi in a few areas's and no I have my TQ maxed at 85 right now in the 100% cell. Truck is basically smoke free during normal driving now but that power is better in the mid to WOT area. I wish the days weren't so short now in the north east.. Can only program on the weekends now.

Might help adding the image file...

Is this the timing table you are running now. I have my timing way lower in most areas and I am fairly smoke free except when lugging in lock up at 50-55? I am seeing 7-800 egt at 75 and commuting 70 miles a day with at least 3hr commute time I am getting around 18mpg. Would prob be a lot higher if I wasn't idling for much of it.

No I have changed my duration table quite a bit so my timing has changed but the general shape is similar to the image file. My tq converter is fairly tight so when I was locked up & in overdrive at 51-53 mph I would get smoke if I gave it some descent throttle. Now I don't really worry about any smoke. If I am going 15 mph and stomp it I will get a very very light haze for about 20 ft and then clean all the way through my pull. Turbo plays a huge roll. A quick spooling turbo can probably handle more TMing. Aslo your TQ table plays a huge roll in smoke. I used to have mine max out at 62 now I am up to 85 with no smoke.

Last edited:
Cj , are you changing duration value in the middle of the map. I was told most all changes are made to then last cell in each row

My duration table is all stock except for a very few cells now. You would be surprised how many cells you need to actually change to get good power. I don't know if I necessarily agree with last cell comment. You can see what duration cell effects what timing cells by using John's calc.

My duration table is all stock except for a very few cells now. You would be surprised how many cells you need to actually change to get good power. I don't know if I necessarily agree with last cell comment. You can see what duration cell effects what timing cells by using John's calc.

Tire size plays a big roll also. We have very close to the same set up. I have a 64/68/.9 and BBI 1's but I have 315/70/17 tires with 373 gears. I have my TQ at 71 but it will still get smokey if I get to excited with the throttle. I ran the truck at the strip last weekend and besides spooling at the line and the launch it was totally smoke free. I saw 44psi boost and ran a 12.8 at 104. I did notice my truck shifts around 32-3300rpm so looking at the tables I am going to try scaling it back so it maxes out at 3200 rpm and maybe a little earlier in the rpm range.

What's your 75-87 column in your tq table set too? I found I had to drop mine quite a bit compared to my 87-100 column and that helped when lugging the engine.

I will have to look. I will be redoing some of my tune based on the load difference in what the ecm sees and what the load really is. My tune is off after learning about the difference.

Back