2010 NHRDA Rules Announcment

Well, I don't think it would be very smart to run a single turbo low hp vp injected truck in super street. This was my first year running my truck. I started out at 488 hp run 12.9's with a single turbo and at the end of the year stepped up to a set of compounds and 603 hp run 12.38 if I get a ppump swap done I will run super street, but would need a roll cage. I would believe that a low 11's truck would be very competitive in super street this year. Can always add some nos to get even more out of it. This year will tell a lot about super street. Sometimes you have to modify your truck to make it fit the rules. why not put your fuel cell where you stock tank was?

Rules are rules. Good ones or not. So in your years of expertise on this subject answer this. How does it make sense to allow/require a truck to have a roll cage (very dangerous in a street vehicle) but it must have the battery under the hood and no fuel cell? And it's pretty clear your reading comprehension is low for the "just a battery" comment. It would cost me hours and hours of re-fabbing A LOT of one off parts to fit just 1 small battery under the hood. To what end advantage? Please enlighten us.

Sorry Sinner I ain't buying it, you will have to post some pics of your engine compartment to prove that statement. For christ sake if we can do under the hood of a GMC with a set of compound turbos big enough to suck up small children that are within 10 feet, I can't believe that you can't get a battery under the hood of a Ford. You guys are pissing and moaning about nothing. If you don't like the rules don't race end of story.

Subman, I for one, while I am sure it could be dont dont really want to put my fenderwells back in, or redesign the turbos to work with a battery. I like having the room to work on these things, as it seems it is a fairly routine practice..... also I am trying to run with you guys and do it without spending the cash on slicks or cheater slicks. This would be a huge investment for me, it isnt just the tires, but I would have to change gearing also. I already run out of rpm in 1/4 now.

Im not trying to sound like I am whinning, this isnt my goal, more just questioning the new rules to a bit, trying to understand the logic... I will run whatever I can fit in. If it is et bracket then it is et bracket, I have bracket races for almost 30 years now.. or if it is pro street then it is pro street. I have the HP, just having troubles getting down to the weight that it would take to be competitive (and reliable) (im strugling to get my truck down to 6000#

Im not trying to sound like I am whinning, this isnt my goal, more just questioning the new rules to a bit, trying to understand the logic... I will run whatever I can fit in.

BINGO Kevin!

Those that know me will tell you I am about as far from a whinner as you can get!! If my truck is running, I show up and race regardless ;)

Like Kevin though, I am struggling to understand the logic behind how this rule change addresses a "gap" or tightens competition. :confused:

Maybe Randy and Chris can explain their logic?

I keep hearing well the majority of the trucks who won prostreet last year were high 10 to 11 second trucks but you dont think those guys who were running 9's and breaking are sitting down this winter going to the drawing board and figuring out how to not break? of course they are. Itll be hard to make a 10 hour drive to a race getting thrown into a class where trucks are a second faster and will be consistent the chance of winning is slim to none. Im just voicing my op. will do what we have to do to comply with these new rules but it doesnt mean im not puzzled and asking why.

Sorry Sinner I ain't buying it, you will have to post some pics of your engine compartment to prove that statement. For christ sake if we can do under the hood of a GMC with a set of compound turbos big enough to suck up small children that are within 10 feet, I can't believe that you can't get a battery under the hood of a Ford. You guys are pissing and moaning about nothing. If you don't like the rules don't race end of story.

one guy just puttin an op. out there. If you dont like smoke leave the diesel scene?? come on dude good for you you can fit child eating turbos and batteries under the hood hopefully ur head can fit in ur helmet or even through your door.

one guy just puttin an op. out there. If you dont like smoke leave the diesel scene?? come on dude good for you you can fit child eating turbos and batteries under the hood hopefully ur head can fit in ur helmet or even through your door.

That's your prerogative, it's free country, me too, still think you guys are pissing an moaning about nothing. And don't start your crap about smoke, the diesel scene will leave you like it or not, and if you would get your head out of your ass you would see that too. As I said, if you don't like the rules don't race, very simple solution.

Well, I don't think it would be very smart to run a single turbo low hp vp injected truck in super street. This was my first year running my truck. I started out at 488 hp run 12.9's with a single turbo and at the end of the year stepped up to a set of compounds and 603 hp run 12.38 if I get a ppump swap done I will run super street, but would need a roll cage. I would believe that a low 11's truck would be very competitive in super street this year. Can always add some nos to get even more out of it. This year will tell a lot about super street. Sometimes you have to modify your truck to make it fit the rules. why not put your fuel cell where you stock tank was?

Right on. :rockwoot:

I keep hearing well the majority of the trucks who won prostreet last year were high 10 to 11 second trucks but you dont think those guys who were running 9's and breaking are sitting down this winter going to the drawing board and figuring out how to not break? of course they are. Itll be hard to make a 10 hour drive to a race getting thrown into a class where trucks are a second faster and will be consistent the chance of winning is slim to none. Im just voicing my op. will do what we have to do to comply with these new rules but it doesnt mean im not puzzled and asking why.

I don't really understand your beef with this. You have a truck that could be competitive in either class on any given day. Granted you might need to make a couple changes to go "back" to superstreet. They are small though if I assume they are battery and fuel tank location.

So what are you going to do? You can whine and piss and moan if you get beat in prostreet by an 8 or 9 sec truck...decent chance they might break anyway. Or you can redo a couple things and run superstreet and be very very competitive. I'm assuming by your post that you will stay in SS?

If you can't accept that rule changes can cost you a little time, money, and/or competitive advantage you have no business racing in a heads-up class. This is a new and rapidly evolving group of racers and vehicles. What is good one year, might not be the next. There will alway be somebody faster somewhere.

It's not like you are going to make money or gain some glorious fame racing a diesel truck. Get out there and have fun racing.

And yes I'll be racing a truck in SS next year. Might get my butt kicked...maybe not. I didn't center my efforts building a truck around winning a possible 4 divisional races in the entire season.

I'm doing it because it will be fun to have a fast (for a truck) truck to run down the track wherever I want to. Go race some NHRA events, race fun drags in the slicks/loud car lanes.

And like anybody else here..........just my opinion.

Happy racing.

Last edited:
Why don't they just add another class that is indexed 10.50 or 10.80 ? I know it would thin out two other classes....but even the faster guys could step back and run an indexed pro street class.

My concern was that Super Street was just as fast as Prostreet trucks. As a matter of fact quite a few super street trucks could have won! There was too much disparity between the Super Street and ET classes so ther was not a progression in classes that made sence. I myself prefer a index but everyone spoke up and that did not happen. O.K. so the changes do encurrage people to make the jump from Super Street to Pro Street, and allow a competative Super Street class. I still beleave it is not safe to put a roll bar in the cab of my street truck so I'll make sure I don't go that fast! so I hope to be competative by getting the light or being reliable! The slicks will allow the 2WD trucks to get enough traction to compete with the 4X4 trucks 4x4 trucks in this class should not have any traction issues, Pro Street 4X4 trucks do. 2wd trucks on the other hand have traction issues early! I'm runninf 14'S and I can build any boost at all or I will spin like no tomorrow, as it is I still spin just putting it to the floor. This is where we are different than Gas cars we have twice the torque on the bottom! So I don't think anyone got everything they wanted which probably means it is fair for the largest group.

Rules

I'm all for a index. It puts the driver back in the game. Make it 10.50 or 10.90 or whatever. I won't need nitrous then it will save me some money. I just want to race so it really dosn't matter to me. Jeff

In the process of building my 94 and want to stay in super street. If I shorten the frame and put a fuel cell in the stock location I'll be fine correct?

In the process of building my 94 and want to stay in super street. If I shorten the frame and put a fuel cell in the stock location I'll be fine correct?

I don't think fuel cells are permitted in any super street truck regardless of location. From what I have read stock tank in stock location only

I think this will make for a very competitive Pro Street class. You are basically looking at 1/2 ton diesel conversions or very heavy cars at 4500LBS. The Super Street class battery and fuel cell rule on the outside seems kind of strange but makes sense when you think about it. Most likely a truck with a fuel cell and battery relocation is usually not driven on the street daily unless you want to stop every day for fuel. This class makes for a good foundation for " bat outta hell street drivers "

» Fuel Tank must be in stock location. (Fuel Cells prohibited), but it doesnt say it has to be the stock tank it just says a fuel tank must be in the stock location.

» Fuel Tank must be in stock location. (Fuel Cells prohibited), but it doesnt say it has to be the stock tank it just says a fuel tank must be in the stock location.

I agree it's vague enough we should get clearification on that rule. I don't see why if a guy wants to put a custom built tank in the stock location it should make any difference. I do think the weights should have been adjusted to 6500 for 4x4 and 6000 for 2x4. Those are much closer to stock weights for the majority of the hot street trucks that want to run in that class. And I do think that is the intent, a class for the really hot street driven trucks.

I don't think fuel cells are permitted in any super street truck regardless of location. From what I have read stock tank in stock location only
After reviewing the rules and reading the questions stated the rules will be amended. We see now that what we were trying to say did not come across clearly. We were trying to say no fuel cells in the bed. The "no fuel cell" will be removed from the rules and they will read Fuel Tank Must be in Stock Location.

Back