30+ mpg again

i use a air chisel. i take a flat blade and grind it down till it just fits between the fan and the hub. and let it dig in a bit on the fan nut. then hit it wide open. the fan usally breaks free right away. remember it is reverse thread. so righty loosey

Hmm don't have an air chisel, I'll try the caveman method first

I cant wait to install this.
a5a3332f.jpg

Little bit of an update, went 902 miles on 28 gals on fuel. Setup right now is 5x14 injectors, 131dv/131 seats. Timing at 20*, plate all the way back, 178/208 cam, scheid 2.6 lightning charger, 3.54 gears, same suspension. No tonneau cover and 150lbs of play sand in the bed.

actually the cover doesnt do any better than with the tailgate up. (myth buster proven). but they did prove that with a mesh tailgate it improved 9%. with the tailgate down it decreased. apparently the wind hits directly on the tailgate causing drag, with it up 1/2 the wind tumbles in the bed but the other half flows over the tumbling and over the a$$ end. so im just going to swap out my stock tailgate with a 5th wheel tailgate that i have and see if that helps. atleast it a wieght lose.

I watched that MythBuster's episode. While they seem to do a good job testing myths, that test was performed on a small Toyota pick-up correct?

Although I fully believe their test results, I don't believe that our full-size Dodge Ram pick-ups will necessarily have the same results. You'd have to test it to know for sure.

I've also noticed that you're a big pusher on the 18* being ideal for fuel economy, I'm in the middle of an injector swap/ timing tweaks fuel economy test and 18* is one of my timing settings I'm going to test.

Have you tried 16, 17, or 19*? I've set two of my buddies mild (non-agressively driven) trucks to 18* and both claim they lost 1 to 1.5 MPG. Because of their claims, I've embarked on a larger scale test with my personal vehicle to try to find the optimum timing for my truck with two different styles of injectors.

The first test on MythBusters they used a full size F150. Second test a Dakota was used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3aqHbD-O9E

Correct me if im wrong, those tests were done at the speed limit.... which aero isn't a concern... Everyone knows aero dynamics aren't a concern with fuel mileage until you go beyond 68 mph. . .
I remember one test was done at 55.... i didn't see if they re-did the test correctly

My dak will not travel 68 miles at 70/76 mph with the bed uncovered with 3.4 gallons of gas....
It will only do that covered, otherwise i gotta drive under the speed of 58 mph to do that uncovered.

Today i cardboarded the front of my radiator and intercooler(only other mods i have is no fuel plate and bed cover). Fueled up all the way up the neck. Drove 129 miles, 90% highway (90 miles being a mountain pass of up n downs 1500ft). Filled back up.... 4.714 gallons = 27.3 MPG!!!!! I've gained a solid 2+ mpg just with the cardboard.

I saw the same gains with my 97 Dodge when I hit 31mpg a few years ago. A grille block was worth 2mpg independent of speed.

I saw the same gains with my 97 Dodge when I hit 31mpg a few years ago. A grille block was worth 2mpg independent of speed.

2mpg is huge! Did you block off the inside or oustide of the grill? Airodynamics seem to be key.

Back