30+ mpg again

Little bit of an update, went 902 miles on 28 gals on fuel. Setup right now is 5x14 injectors, 131dv/131 seats. Timing at 20*, plate all the way back, 178/208 cam, scheid 2.6 lightning charger, 3.54 gears, same suspension. No tonneau cover and 150lbs of play sand in the bed.

How dose the new cam do at higher rpm?

I used to really be into this, i never really modded my truck ofr that purpose well kinda, i went with 285/19.5s on a 3.54 rear end for reall tall gears.

The two things that will help you most would be to have a constant throttle Vs a Cruise, unless you can hold your foot in one spot for hours on end.

Have a camper shell that meet the cab level but then feathers to a pint at the tailgate which should be down. You are better off with a up tailgate than a down one, unless you have a camper like I just mentioned, it would have to be homemade.

Weight will actually have very little effect IF and only IF you use a constant throttle mechanism, with a cruise control weight would make a VAST difference. If your numbers are correct and judging what i always obseved was a 20% increase in constant throttle VS Cruise. that should put you at 39.6?

I had to avg some where in the 40's mph to bust 30 though. what was your average speed? or since you are probably using cruise, what did you set your cruise at?

i set my throttle at 2200 or 2400 or so RPM with my throttle cable. i cant remember. If you got 33 at a avg speed over 50 mph then i doubt you would see a 20% gain just goint to TC over cruise at least 15% i would geuss. The work done on the vehicle by fluid mechanics is really going to start killing you at speeds approaching 60 mph and higher, it will crush mileage.

i used to really be into this but noone else seemed interested back then

I found the old thread where i busted 30 with a 7600 lb truck with a leveling kit and 35 inch tires. its heavey and tall but Cruise crushes those two when it comes to MAX Mileage anyway. it was way back in 2006.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16056&highlight=holy+grail

I havent been to that site in years. Are the same people on here today from their. i mean with the same username, Like Smokem, etc

I averaged in the high 40'smph hitting a max of maybe 65 on downhills as the engine cut fuel but didnt engine brake because throttle was held in the same spot.

Last edited:
i dont have any cruise control stuff left on my truck. i just keep the rpms in the 1700-1900 range and that puts me in the 65-70 mph which is the average slow speed around here. i have a hard tonneau cover that is using installed majority of the time..........the cam does ok in high rpms you can feel drop off around 3300 or so but with me I really dont need high rpms to go fast. i can be at 110 at 2400 rpm. i have a $600 to prove it lol

i considered swapping out to a dana 71 and running 3.07 gears but i think im ok were im at now. plus im done doing big projects on this truck. i wanna start tuning everything and enjoying it.

i dont have any cruise control stuff left on my truck. i just keep the rpms in the 1700-1900 range and that puts me in the 65-70 mph which is the average slow speed around here. i have a hard tonneau cover that is using installed majority of the time..........the cam does ok in high rpms you can feel drop off around 3300 or so but with me I really dont need high rpms to go fast. i can be at 110 at 2400 rpm. i have a $600 to prove it lol

Okay, you are a little taller geared than I, i would be at 96 mph at 2400 rpm, so thats good. How do you maintain your speed in such a narrow diffderential i mean only a 5mph difference????????? How do you manage how your throttle works. you are using your foot? You arent coming off throttle and engine braking downhill are you?

i get at least a 20 mph differential, going from Atlanta to louisiana and its not what i would typically call HILLY.

Last edited:
You keep your foot absolutely still? Man it must be flat as a Pancake there. i still say get a throttle cable where you dont have to hold your foot there and can just engage it, you could also cut a 2x4 and stick it between the seat and the go pedal and use you electric seat to set your RPM's right. You might eek out a mpg. You are a smart man not using that POS cruise, that kills mileage worse than anything

heres the total build...winter setup

• lowered 4"
  • single 2.6 lightning charger
  • manifold and turbo blankets
  • 131/131 dvs
  • rack plug
  • head studs
  • o-ringed head
  • hamilton pushords
  • 60lb springs
  • sdx 5x14 with 152* spray pattern
  • 3 piece maifold
  • 2.6 lightning charger
  • 4" exhaust with FTE 30" resonator
  • no a/c or any componets
  • sport mirrors
  • minimal wiring
  • no cooling fan
  • airdog
  • torktek 40 psi OFV
  • SB dual disk
  • gear vendors
  • 3.54 gears
  • hamilton 178-208 cam
  • timing at 20*
  • roll pan
  • gutted front bumper
  • dual batteries
  • exhaust valves are adjusted to .015
  • fuel plate is full back
  • star wheel is adjusted to starting fueling around 25psi

now come summer, im going to change a few things up like bumping the timing up, losing one battery, swapping DVS to comps.

Last edited:
photobucket-548-1317614866461.jpg

if you have a manual then hitting your clutch and brake at the same time is the same as letting you foot off the gas and hitting the brake, at least thats how I do it, but if youy can hold that foot steady for hours i say go for it, i used to wedge my foot between the pedal and hump before i got a cable

I dont actaually use the wood, truckers use them for high idle and could use them on the road but they would loose the exhaust brake in a panic stop. They dont actaully call it a peice of wood it is a bar that goes from the seat to the pedal and it is adjustable. a 2x4 is adjustable ifen you got a skil saw. i dont think you have an exhaust brake though.

I use the trhottle cable which is out the way, People laught at it at first then i show them how i can Idle the truck up when its cold, I can set the rpm's at 3000 and creep on my property in 4 wheel low. i can use it as the Ultimate destructor mileage cruise, if you know how to drive a standard well.....I just dont see it being a prob, but this one old lady used to whine about it on RV.net but hell that woman couldnt drive a standard no way and i would NEVER suggest this idea to her. You have to know how to use a clutch, how to use a brake, etc. it aint for everyone. an auto can be trricky but i would only recommend that to maybe 5% of the population. i assume you are a good driver and know how your manual tranny works.

When in real hilly conditions its not feasible, i have to use the exhaust brake when i am rolling at 12K with the camper on back. when I come off throttle the us gear exhaust brake kicks in. My max in my truck avatar picture at 12K GVWR was like 20.3 mpg. i am pleased with the truck due to height and weight, i almost need a ladder to get in it.

Your mileage may vary, I think you would like the ease the throttle cable works with a good turnbuckle or you could use a manual choke cable i geuss

My max in my truck avatar picture at 12K GVWR was like 20.3 mpg. i am pleased with the truck due to height and weight, i almost need a ladder to get in it.

Your mileage may vary, I think you would like the ease the throttle cable works with a good turnbuckle or you could use a manual choke cable i geuss

wow, how fast were you going? rpm?

wow, how fast were you going? rpm?

My avg speed was about 50 whiuch means on the interstate i would hit 65 downhill and climb as low as 40. The interstate here is getly rolling hills, I went though the forida panhandle on flat ground and my speed stayed rock solid at 50 and on the long flats on the interstate i would roll at 50mph, Let me go check what my max mileage is. i put it up on rv.net it may have been 21 it was over 20 i know that, i'll post the exact number when i find my sig over there.

Oh on edit on my truck 50 mph is 1250, I'm pretty tall geared, not quite as tall as Crabapple but pretty dang tall

i found my profile over there jeez its been 4 years since last post and almsot 6 since i was kinda active.It was 21.3. i am more proud of that than ripping 30 in the truck, BillyGoat witnessed me fuel it up also. for the 30 not the 21.3
jponder's Signature

SPACE SHUTTLE
2001 4X4 ETH/DEE Reg Cab
Ricksons 285/70R19.5
US Gear Ex Brake
*NO CRUISE CONTROL!!! *
*MANUAL THROTTLE CABLE for 21.3MPG!*
*DRW WORST NIGHTMARE MONSTER TRUCK!*
Camper:
94 Lance EU2000
11700 gw tc+t.
Soon:
Cat Heat& MO BATTERIES!!

Last edited:
Outside, the engine bay is basically a big parachute at speeds. Here's the article.....

1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Dualie Cummins - Diesel Power Magazine

JEEZ LOUISE how did i miss that article, i never ever, thought about blocking off the grill or running the truck 20 degrees hotter. MY t stat opens at about 190 and only time i see it go over that is when pulling my tractor.

I run my rickson at 120 psi.

the only part taht i dont absolutely agree with is the throttle management. i can live with coasting downhill but i think you are still better staying on throtttle and letting gravity give you a little more Kinetic energy, 1/2MV**2 than clutching it and slowing. i just think more head of steam at the bottom is going to help you get up that hill, Where did they get a block for 1/2 Throttle?????? I dont buy that one, i say a 2x4 between the throttle and the seat crushes a block of wood under the go pedal resting on the floor. i aint getting that block of wood under the table, i like that they are thinking outside the box though. Crabapple you know what?

That block of wood could fly up and knock your Di$k completeley off if you have an accident. I GARONTEE.

Great article and thanks for the link JQmile

Back