30+ mpg again

how much wieght do you think i would save by switching out to a dana 70? i really dont see any reason to use a dana 80? its not a drag truck or pulling truck and im sure i can build it strong enough to handle what i have to throw at it. i know the shipping wieght of one is like 320lbs. any opinions?

If you want to go all out, why not build a beefy 9"? If your not drag racing or pulling i dont see strength being an issue.

Last edited:
There is a difference on 3.07 gears fitting into a regular 70. There are a couple of threads on it in the first gen section. I think I have seen 3.31s for the 80. I would have to find that link again.

thats the lowest i can find too. (randy's dosnt sell them anymore)

http://completeoffroad.com/i-161302-3-31-dana-80-ring-and-pinion-set.html

with my setup...

3.54 r&p, 31.61" tires, 70mph, .75 od = 1976rpm

3.31 r&p, 31.61" tires, 70mph, .75od = 1847rpm

i just wouldnt think the $600+ (with install kit) would be worth the 129rpm reduction.

If you want to go all out, why not build a beefy 9"? If your not drag racing or pulling i dont see strength being an issue.

because i dont feel like dealing with the Bs of building a 9" and getting into fit into the truck when i know the d 70 will slide right in

because i dont feel like dealing with the Bs of building a 9" and getting into fit into the truck when i know the d 70 will slide right in

got ya. plus you have the gv, so you dont realy need the extra r&p reduction.

id image swaping to disk brakes on the dana 70 will lighten things up a little too.

Last edited:
Just for chits and giggles. I measured for the "fan delete" w/ ac. Looks like its about 75".

71" may work too. all i did was follow the stock belt (minus the fan) with a piece of rope. i figured that would get the belt tensioner close to the stock position.

i get payed tomorrow. so i might stay late at work and try to find a belt that will work. ill post a pn if i can find one.

I finally got the fuel cell and everything installed. i do have to mention that if you plan on doing make sure yo have the bed bolted in place before you got the hole for the fill cap. luckily enough i made the cut big enough:nail: i also took off my towing mirrors and installed sport style.

71" may work too. all i did was follow the stock belt (minus the fan) with a piece of rope. i figured that would get the belt tensioner close to the stock position.

i get payed tomorrow. so i might stay late at work and try to find a belt that will work. ill post a pn if i can find one.
Your prob right. I just guessitmated. Id try yours before mine.

There are about 10 that will work. I got a #3290155. Its a 74.8, 8 rib, acsm, off highway belt. I was told it dose great aginst heat, and dirt. It was $32. It should be here by next friday.

There are about 10 that will work. I got a #3290155. Its a 74.8, 8 rib, acsm, off highway belt. I was told it dose great aginst heat, and dirt. It was $32. It should be here by next friday.
What brand belt? Where did you get it?

Cummins. Got it at work.

Sorry yall, I miss spoke. my price is $32, retail is $55. Id imagen you could cross the number at almost any parts store.

Last edited:
HOLD THE PHONE!!!!

bsmith just shot me pm. he was able to get a belt faster than i, and said it was too long. im headed down to meaure again.

i (thought) i was accountoing for that. i made a belt out of 500# zip ties. i even put it under tension. i wound up with just shy of 70". i have no clue where i got the extra 5". im going to try a 68-70".

Back