99 Chevy 3500 HD (CK) 6.5 to dmax

Going to put LB7/LLY pistons in it?

mahle pistons from fingers
attachment.php

Wow that's a wierd bowl. I've been out of the dmax loop too long!

in short, fingers took a blank mahle cast piston and redid the bowl. increased material over the wrist pin, by makeing the bowl elongated and shallower but retaining stock volume.
they are in several 1000hp+ sled/drag trucks, while mine most likely will never be above 450hp more liek 300-350hp all crank hp, but in a hotshot application running ~2000 miles a week with truck weight between 14,000-26,000lb and avg weight of 23,000lb will deffiantly put it through durability paces...... since its the end of the year.. see what next year brings.. and tear the engine down in dec '13 after ~100,000 miles and see what why look like

for more technical explination here is his thread. roughly 18 months in the makeing...
Piston Bowls - Duramax Diesels Forum

Last edited:
Honestly any Mahle would be probably be durable enough to be satisfactory.

Fingers bowl design makes it that much better.

thats what im thinking bryce

from what has been posted they have been installed to close to 2 dozen trucks ranging form 600-1100hp with finger bowls the piston themselves have been out since late 08

putting them in my truck would deffently be a durability test.. looking at bumping hp to 400 from 250 and 4088 or equivalant size non vvt turbo. at ~2000 miles a week and weight ranging form 14-26k with avg weight of 23k. should be very nice.. looking at bumping c/r to 17:1 vs 16.8

got the pistons today..
rods checks .0005" spread over 8 rods alot better then the .005" that was stated with piston protrusion.
only thing change tuning wise will be timing and VVT% or optomise bowl desing and increase displacment no increase in fueling.. dont have the tranny to handle it.. est hp 250-260 stock is 250hp

assmeble friday most likely

so you're saying he should have put a 12v in it? :confused:

happened wednesday 300 mile from home...no fun..
lost #4 piston ~45,000 miles since i put it in..
21718_4561074178472_53573045_n.jpg

check the protrution.
1) .010 2) .0085
3) .008 4) .013 (split piston)
5) .010 6) .011
7) .0085 8) .008

i have no accurate way to check rod length.. (6.42")
#2 and #8 might be bent or #4 grew... or i didnt do a good enough job measuering
off to the machine shop in the am.

Making more money with 500lbs less of a motor sure didn't pay off in the long run.

Cool project and I am surprised your sticking with the d max after a failure like that. Interesting bowls too.

Making more money with 500lbs less of a motor sure didn't pay off in the long run.

Cool project and I am surprised your sticking with the d max after a failure like that. Interesting bowls too.
this is know where near the failure the 6.5 was

its cheaper/quicker to rebuild it then to swap..i dropped the engine off monday morning.. should fire tonight early tomorrow.
and the engine is familar to me.
the damx has already paid for itself in fuel savings.. i have cut my overhead by ~20% without giving up cargo capacity

this is what i used to get everything back.. 06 5.9 with only straight piped done to it.... everything was either same or worse performance wise then my current setup.. mpg, grade speed, ride, stopping, handling and weighs 1200lb more.. it got 6.5mpg to my 11.5 and had to run flashers on the grades with the dodge.. not extaclty impressed with an engine that has over ~300hp longer legs (3.73 vs 4.63) and can barely keep up with my truck that is running 250hp
481722_4551175611014_1308915853_n.jpg

On tear down someone had been in it before i got it.
anyways i hope the rings seal up fast head to Wisconsin tonight

Just take it easy for a couple of mile then start to run it harder.
Take care watch out for all the crazies out there.

Dale

how could you tell that they seated?

stopped burning oil, the engine became more responsive along with the trubo spool, less blow by out the crank case breathers, starts easier as well

will be filling up again tomorrow
first fill up was 311 miles to 38 gallons..~8mpg.
top off see where that is.. expecting a slight increase...
millage will increase once the engine is broken in..

its a ~550 mile haul from appleton wi to colmbus ohio..

Back