Banks Dragster

Wow. All I can say is wow. This discussion has gone so far down the toilet that I don't think roto rooter can find it.

My thoughts, take them with a grain of salt -

Yes, smoke is detrimental to our root cause. Its obnoxious, can be a safety concern, I like it but it has its place. Many of our states upcoming issues hinge on the fact that too many drivers don't understand that everything has its place. On a 4 lane highway, EXCESSIVE smoke is not welcome. A gentle puff as you pass a fellow diesel driver is different . . .

Kat makes a good point, these drivers that feel that their ability to smoke a 5 mile area out is not going to do our lives any good. Up till now we enjoyed a severe lack of regulation (in CA) and we took that lack of regulation too far. Don't get me wrong, I love power and will ALWAYS have a diesel, but we have pissed off the other 85% of the population that don't drive a diesel, and of that 15% that do, we have pissed 75% of them off. Not a good deal gentlemen.

Now, the Banks dragster. Nice looking car, well set up, nice numbers. These guys are top notch. Now, before anyone flames me, separate yourself from the DP ads, and consumer products. These guys are getting it done. The R+D is there, they have the money and the time to TRY! Why not? I only hope that more of the hard core racing parts going into these race vehicles become available to the public. My main complaint with them has been simply that, most of whats on the track you can't get for your truck. But they have made their attempts at pushing new boundaries, and in the end they have the ability. now the ball is in their court to pass what they have learned on to us. Honestly, who here is secretive? I have met Kat and Max It Out personally. Neither is very shy about talking trucks. Think about that.

On the note of the DP ads, you all know that Banks markets to a certain breed of diesel owner, very few of which would be on this site. They have great products, however for the HP junky not much of them will work for us. Are there cheaper options? Always. Are there better options? That is a loaded question. Define better. . . . . .

Bottom line is my thoughts are that if there was another name on the side of that car, responses would be different. Be as it may be, they are running, and I hope having fun at it. Thats the name of the game, right?

no one is disputing that the plumes of black smoke on the street is bad. And no one is disputing that the Banks crew is a good group of guys with some good knowledge on diesels. I don't know why people keep dwelling on that. I guess reading is optional.

no one is disputing that the plumes of black smoke on the street is bad. And no one is disputing that the Banks crew is a good group of guys with some good knowledge on diesels. I don't know why people keep dwelling on that. I guess reading is optional.

So where do I find the cheezburger?

I just love how everyone kisses their ass after they spend a few hundred thousand on some race toys.. LOL. Banks hasn't changed one bit since day one, and no one liked em back then. Well, other then Gale losing his job and deciding to use nitrous LOL

Sheep will be sheep I suppose.

you can sugar coat it all you want.. Don't say Scheids and Banks are similar, they are not. Scheids has plenty of customer trucks doing incredible things on Asphalt tracks, dirt tracks and on the rollers. Banks shells out endless amounts of money to sell a product that doesn't even compare. Not further the sport. They slam our sport more then anything. When was the last time you saw a Banks customer doing well at any event? Hell when was the last time you saw a Banks customer that even knew a damn thing about diesels? Banks is in it for the marketing money. His guys that run the toys may be cool people and know a thing or two. But Banks is a salesperson, nothing more.

My reading skills are OK. And I do not have anything bad to say about any of those who take the risks to race, smoke or no smoke. A lot of my good friends race. Ford, Dodge, and GM.

I'm not an ass-kisser, nor a sheep, I do run some Banks parts, and I know at least a little about racing and at least a little about Duramaxes. I won't pretend to know everything, except about what we have done with our personal trucks, and what I have seen at racetracks. My experience with Banks does not match yours. I just haven't seen them "slam our sport", in fact, they sponsored the first Diesel Power Challenge which we attended.

We have not done incredible things with our trucks. Incredible means hard-to-believe. But we have run well with the Banks products we have used. They tend to be well-made, and do what they say they do. The Banks intake is the only one we've tested that actually makes the truck a lot faster. Their intercooler worked well until we blew up a turbo into it, and couldn't get all the metal out of it, so we retired it.

As far as smoke goes, keep it at the track and all is wonderful. But that is not what is happening, nor is there is cure for it, since it's all about perception. Yes, our personal trucks make smoke at the racetrack and sledpulls, but not like this, on the street:

Attachments

• garage_attachment.jpg
    garage_attachment.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 30
Kat, the thing you keep trying to do, is totally separate the Banks crew from the Banks marketing arm.

In your mind, they are different.

In my mind, they are the same.

So every time Gale is quoted in print and he says some of his typically insulting stuff (especially about products that STOMP his), I say, game on, trash talk they make, trash talk they get.

You don't see Scheid and many of the other guys getting out in public and being rude and insulting toward other manufacturers stuff.

The moral of the story is, be respectful, you get respect.

As long as Gale keeps spouting off, then he and everyone who works for them can expect some trash talk.

If the Banks crew wants to be all warm and fuzzy with everyone, maybe they should tell the old man to cool it.

I could rewrite all of Banks' ad copy to sell their product and explain its advantages without being so jerky about it.

Kat, the thing you keep trying to do, is totally separate the Banks crew from the Banks marketing arm.

So every time Gale is quoted in print and he says some of his typically insulting stuff (especially about products that STOMP his), I say, game on, trash talk they make, trash talk they get.

You don't see Scheid and many of the other guys getting out in public and being rude and insulting toward other manufacturers stuff.

As long as Gale keeps spouting off, then he and everyone who works for them can expect some trash talk.

If the Banks crew wants to be all warm and fuzzy with everyone, maybe they should tell the old man to cool it.

I could rewrite all of Banks' ad copy to sell their product and explain its advantages without being so jerky about it.

That is a good point.

I really have no dog in this fight (except the entertainment of reading it). The following was posted on another forum on this very subject though:

While I'm not a Banks fan, nor do I own any of their products, I don't understand why people get upset over them going after the competition.

Where does it say, in business, you cannot directly go after facts concerning your competitors?

They do it in politics. They do it in sports. They do it in everyday business. They do it in sales. Looks at the Microsoft vs Apple commercials. Look at the smart phone commercials. Look at Home Depot vs Lowes. New vehicle ads on TV or magazines. Watch a political debate. Watch the press conference before a boxing match. It's all around us. Competition, specifically in advertising, is how American industry was built.

If there is some unwritten rule in life that says you cannot call out shortcomings of your competition, and compare it to your benefits, please tell me. Complaining about it seems passive. As if saying your competitor's product fails in comparison to yours will "hurt their feelings." It reminds me of youth soccer leagues in affluent liberal areas where they play the games, but don't "keep score."

And I can't think of any business that has ever been successful being passive.

Hate Gale Banks. Hate his products. Hate the color of his shirt. But you can't hate his advertising unless you hate free economy dynamics. At which point, I'll look forward to your posts concerning Apple and Microsoft, the next UFC press conference, a coaches assessment of the next game, or your next local/state/national campaign debate.

And if that doesn't do it, we can chat when our kids run around a soccer field and play to a no score tie
:cheer:

LOL If some of the other vender's used tactics like Banks does I could smell a law suit a mile away. Big money wins.

I really have no dog in this fight (except the entertainment of reading it). The following was posted on another forum on this very subject though:

While I'm not a Banks fan, nor do I own any of their products, I don't understand why people get upset over them going after the competition.

Where does it say, in business, you cannot directly go after facts concerning your competitors?

They do it in politics. They do it in sports. They do it in everyday business. They do it in sales. Looks at the Microsoft vs Apple commercials. Look at the smart phone commercials. Look at Home Depot vs Lowes. New vehicle ads on TV or magazines. Watch a political debate. Watch the press conference before a boxing match. It's all around us. Competition, specifically in advertising, is how American industry was built.

If there is some unwritten rule in life that says you cannot call out shortcomings of your competition, and compare it to your benefits, please tell me. Complaining about it seems passive. As if saying your competitor's product fails in comparison to yours will "hurt their feelings." It reminds me of youth soccer leagues in affluent liberal areas where they play the games, but don't "keep score."

And I can't think of any business that has ever been successful being passive.

Hate Gale Banks. Hate his products. Hate the color of his shirt. But you can't hate his advertising unless you hate free economy dynamics. At which point, I'll look forward to your posts concerning Apple and Microsoft, the next UFC press conference, a coaches assessment of the next game, or your next local/state/national campaign debate.

And if that doesn't do it, we can chat when our kids run around a soccer field and play to a no score tie
:cheer:
You call us blind, but it definitely appears to go both ways. Your posts like this prove it. But I don't plan on changing your mind, you are after all, getting a paycheck from the guy.

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing > Banks Dragster

I don't read or post here about advertising, mostly just race stuff. If one were to slam every person on here that hypes products, they would need a much larger server, but I just don't know if that big of a computer exists.

And yes, I judge race teams by how they race, not what they sell.

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing > Banks Dragster

I don't read or post here about advertising, mostly just race stuff. If one were to slam every person on here that hypes products, they would need a much larger server, but I just don't know if that big of a computer exists.

And yes, I judge race teams by how they race, not what they sell.

I judge companies by how they are represented, and for how their products perform.

Now, take this as you will, but I just want to expound on what Mr Barker had posted. Think about this the next time you watch a Apple comercial.. I believe that what they are doing is way more slamming than what banks does,,

I have in the past ran some banks products, their IC's are very good, and their intake horns are good also. I am not going to be running them anymore, mostly due to the fact that I am going all custom now.

Another good example is watch a political discussion,, and no matter which canidate, they will slam to the core their competition. This is the same thing, marketing.

I am not a banks cheerleader by any stretch, but I like to think of myself as a person that sees the good in people, things

Gale Banks for pres. He'll sell out the sport to make a buck.

Now I have an issue with this post in particular. I seem to remember a certain letter that hit the web from another of the larger manufacturers that threw a few other folks under the bus so to speak . . . . . . . . . .
Talk about selling out a sport.

Now, is Gale an arrogant a$$? I don't know, I haven't met the guy. I will however, in some defense, say that do you think his ads are produced by him? He has a marketing team. Now, if that team reflects his personal views then so be it. But, it has nothing to do with the OP's original start of the thread.

I will say that some years ago, before going into business, I purchased a Banks Brake. I happened to be working a few hours south of their facility and had to pass them to get home, so I picked the unit up at the facility. What a facility, and what awesome people! I got a full tour of their facility. The first project Sidewinder (the Dakota) was just getting press, and the salesman walked me through the R+D area. I got to sit in the truck, marvel at what they had done, and talk to the techs working on it. HOW FREAKIN COOL IS THAT???

Bottom line for me is this - Hate the ads, thats fine, but when a professional team brings a professional rig to the track, regarless of the name on the side, I think they deserve just respect for doing just that.

All this other BS aside....

We all have our own way to choose who we root for (Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc...)

Let's just leave it at this (for me anyway)...

Congrats to the Banks crew with the new rails but I will Still choose the Root for the Scheid Rail / Team.....Just cause!!

Who are you guys gonna root for?????

Both cause they are making the sport great! So.... Back to what it was meant for. Looks like it leaves the line pretty soft but nearly runs in the 6's. That thing will really be a runner. Can't wait to see it at an event. I hope everyone puts their pride to the side. And the Scheid and Banks dragsters line up. Throw Bentz and WOP rail in there and take them to the 4 lane strip!! That would be sweet.

Both cause they are making the sport great! So.... Back to what it was meant for. Looks like it leaves the line pretty soft but nearly runs in the 6's. That thing will really be a runner. Can't wait to see it at an event. I hope everyone puts their pride to the side. And the Scheid and Banks dragsters line up. Throw Bentz and WOP rail in there and take them to the 4 lane strip!! That would be sweet.

Ditto!

Back